Thread: Upgrading 30GB to 80GB HD

Upgrading 30GB to 80GB HD

I purchased an 80GB Maxtor, when I hooked to my PC the BIOS would not recognize it, the HD has a jumper setting "cap limit" so I added a jumper there and the BIOS now saw it as Model 80GB but with a listed 32GB limit(max for the BIOS?).
    I ran the MFStools2 restore and wrote my backup to the new drive with the original 15GB "B" drive also connected(I'll use the 30GB as "B" once I know it works).
    Everything worked fine booted up as normal but, recording time is at 'variable 42 hours' does that sound right with 95GB (80 + 15GB)?

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

Tivo A at hdc
    Tivo B at hdd
    My backup is above 2.0.1
    Also should I remove the "cap limit" jumper when running the drive in the TIVO, I did but just wanted to know?

Check my sig for the space you should get with just an 80gig drive.

Sounds like you are going to need to update your bios to handle the larger drive.
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

I put in an ISA card for adding IDE devices, it will work on Hard Drives upto 128GB.

It works in BIOS as a second BIOS and shows the drive as 80GB but as a PnP IRQ 14.

I have tried several "/dev/hdc" changing the c and /dev/irq14 (remember Pitou)

Any suggestions about get the MFStools to recognize this harddrive port, it comes up in mfs as bus 00 dev 39

Originally posted by RonD
    I put in an ISA card for adding IDE devices, it will work on Hard Drives upto 128GB.

It works in BIOS as a second BIOS and shows the drive as 80GB but as a PnP IRQ 14.

I have tried several "/dev/hdc" changing the c and /dev/irq14 (remember Pitou)

Any suggestions about get the MFStools to recognize this harddrive port, it comes up in mfs as bus 00 dev 39
    Not sure if support is built in to the kernel for more than 4 drives, but just for laughs what happens if you try to use hde?

Well the more obvious an answer the harder it is to see!

All that is needed, if anyones else runs into this problem, is enter the BIOS at start up, go to the IDE ports and put NONE at the locations of the 'over limit' hard drives, this will keep the BIOS from hanging up, restart, let MFStools boot (I used the floppy version) and IT WILL find and read correctly the 80GB or 120GB drives.

Everything working fine now, variable 83 hours Recording time 80GB+15GB
    Last edited by RonD; 01-30-2003 at 09:22 PM.