Thread: DD for boot slice?

DD for boot slice?

Uh ... what parameters will I need to re-image my boot slice

Obviously dd if=newboot.img of=/dev/hdx6 isn't working quite right.

PS: This is for a Series 2 SA ... yes I know about the boot PROM issue.

Thanks in advance

did you make sure that your active system is on hdx7? if its on hdx4, then your kernel partition would be hdx3

Yes ... is it just straight dd if=newboot.img of=/dev/hdx6 ??

I tried taking the image off and putting it straight back on unmodified and it doesn't like that. Seems to me straight DD is wrong

well, it works. i assume for the backup you did a dd if=/dev/hdx6 of=/path/to/myimage.img

Yep ... thats what I did for a backup ... but the restore doesnt work. I have a good backup I made with MFSTools and this is my scratch drive so I'm cool .... just not certain why I can't get a restore to work.

==

Got the original to work ... my PROM has been modified with the ideas noted here but the new kernel simply makes the machine reboot. Not sure where I messed up. Hmm ...
    Last edited by Pent; 02-09-2003 at 01:34 PM.

DD for boot slice?

You could hexdump the before (good) & after (bad) /dev/hdx6 partitions and visually compare them to verify that the dd worked as expected. I don't remember the bigfoot command offhand. od? bigfoot --help. ;-)

not sure what the problem was for pent, but i have successfully used dd to backup and restore the original kernel image, as well as using it to restore a modified copy.