Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reboting loops

Reboting loops

I've read about this problem several times in this and other forums:

(Eg: gxcebot rebooting loops in)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...by=&sortorder=

And now I'm experiencing the same problem. I have a GXCEBOT DTivo running running 2.5.2. I took out the old Quantum hard disk, set it aside, and replaced it with a 25Xtremed 80Gig Maxtor 5400rpm DiamondMax hard disk. Upon powering up, it gets stuck in a rebotting loop. When I replace the Maxtor with the original Quantum drive, everything works again.

As far as I can tell, the causes are:

1. bad Maxtor hard disk,

2. bad 25Xtreme image, or

3. bad power supply (which works on 40Gig Quantum, because it draws less current).

I've downloaded Maxtor's DOS PowerMax hard disk diagnostics utlity, in order to test the hard drive. This will hopefully point out if (1) is the cause.

I downloaded the 25xtreme image from http://www.pitoudistro.com/pd/xtreme.html. I'm going to try burning another ISO image of 25xtreme to see if the first copy was faulty. That should take care of (2).

I don't know what to do about (3), if indeed the power supply is too limited for the new hard disk. Thus I'll simply ask:

Has anybody ACTUALLY replaced the Quantum drive in a GXCEBOT with a 25xtreme'd drive? If so, can you say which hard disk (exact model) you used to performt he replacement, and where you downloaded the 25xtreme image?

Thanks,

I am running the Maxtor DX540 5400 rpm 80 GB drives in 4 dtivos. Make sure your jumper is set to CS. Did you run the dtivomad option that was part of 25xtreme? That is needed to take full advantage of the drive capacity. Try replacing the IDE cable.

Originally posted by superzap
    I am running the Maxtor DX540 5400 rpm 80 GB drives in 4 dtivos. Make sure your jumper is set to CS. Did you run the dtivomad option that was part of 25xtreme? That is needed to take full advantage of the drive capacity. Try replacing the IDE cable.
    Thanks. The Maxtor DX540 (model No. 4D080H4)

http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentati..._datasheet.pdf

is a little different from the DiamondMax 16 (model No. 4R080J0)

http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentati...data_sheet.pdf

The DiamondMax16 is a little quieter (2.5 bel vs 3.0 bel at idle) and offers 133 Mb/sec but draws more current (587mA vs 270mA seek). The fact that it draw much more current may or may not be causing the power supply to be overwhelmed.

I recall encountering an eror message after 25xtreme has been decompressed (a broken pipe), so I don't know if dtivomad had completed its installation. I'm going to burn another 25Xtreme image and try again.

Can anyone point to a 25Xtreme ISO I can download that has acutally worked?

Thanks,

The v25xtreme iso file at pitoudistro should be ok. If your prom has already been flashed you could try the 2.5.2 mfs xtreme image there. See this on how to use http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...0730#post70730

You could also try this site:
    http://www.tivostuff.com
    Last edited by superzap; 02-10-2003 at 08:10 PM.

Originally posted by superzap
    The v25xtreme iso file at pitoudistro should be ok. If your prom has already been flashed you could try the 2.5.2 mfs xtreme image there.

You could also try this site:
    http://www.tivostuff.com
    Many thanks SuperZap. I'll try that 2.5.2 xtreme image.

Unfortunately www.tivostuff.com is down.

I had similar problem. Except I was not upgrading drive size.
    The "factory" image would work. The "extreme" image would
    continuously reboot. I was applying 2.5 xtreme.

Although the instructions say it is not required anymore-
    run the "runIDEturbo" fix on the disk before you put it back
    into the tivo.

I just about wore out an IDE cable trying different things
    until I tried that.
    Last edited by dwellar; 02-10-2003 at 11:58 PM.
    -dwellar

Originally posted by dwellar
    into the tivo.[/B]
    Thanks! Much appreciated. I'll give this a try.

Originally posted by dwellar
    into the tivo.
    Just to be clear. Is this the ideturbo fix?

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>

I edited the linux partitions and put "runideturbo=false" into /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (this is needed when using a non-Quantum drive in the TiVo).

That's one way to do it, but the normal method is to put runideturbo=false in the boot parms.

To do this, put the HD in PC, boot from cd and enter command:
    edit_bootparms
    You will see an option to set the runideturbo parm, as I recall it's -i

BTW, I didn't need that parm but it's worth a try.

Thanks to both dwellar and zuperzap! Setting runideturbo = false with edit_bootparms did hte trick. I'm TiVoing again!

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to run this "runIDEturbo" fix.

I have spent hours trying to figure out why the unit keeps resetting in a constant loop, so I want to get this right.

Thanks,

Luke

My DSR6000R01 will not reboot right, it loops. If I unplug it from the AC and plug it back in, it'll power up. It's something to do with the HD I'm using, it's a 7200RPM maybe that's the issue. I know if I put the original Drive A back in it reboots fine.

While others have had success with 7200 rpm drives, I have not. I have 2 maxtor 80 gig 5400 rpm drives in my dsr6000. I've tried to move to my 8meg cache 7200 rpm 80 gig Maxtor and 120 gig Western Digital without success. Before the day is out a reboot occurs and tivo won't power up. I guess I'll have to live with only 2 80 gig drives.

You guys might check the voltage coming off the power supply. Possibly, the 7200 drives are requesting more juice, and the voltage is dropping too low. There is an adjustment for the 5V supply, I believe, you'll have to search for the thread. It is important that you read the voltage with the drives in question attached and powered up.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

for all you guys with the reboot loops here it is again, SZ already put it in the spoon so open wide and let the choo choo in........

boot with the 25xtreme cd
    enter
    enter
    edit_bootparms hdx -i
    ctrl alt delete

x in the hdx is either a, b, c, or d, in other words......HD location...
    hdx is either hda, hdb, hdc, or hdd depending which location your HD is at such as secondary slave is hdd.......etc

If this doesnt fix try the ribbon cable between the motherboard and the power supply. pull and flip it end for end and reseat and you can even use an eraser to clean the tabs, it helps......x