Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reboting loops

actually, hda isn't available to you if you boot from the 25xtreme cd

Thank you Greek!!

Thanks a bunch.

The instructions you left worked like a charm. I could not believe that installing the 25xtreme program would be so darn difficult. It sure seemed like everything that could go wrong did.

Thanks for all the help.

Luke

very true poppagene, didnt want to make it too complicated for the new guys, just used it as an example..........your welcome luke skywalker......<in a low deep voice>"I am your father"........

I finally figured out why my DSR6000R01 isn't rebooting correctly. I have a RCA IR Sensor & Transmitter Model D935. If I remove this I can't change the channels in my bedroom but, my DirecTiVo works great. Plug it back in and if you reboot it'll loop, if you power up it will boot though. Sometimes and later most of the time the remote will not work and the controls on the front of the DirecTiVo work very slowly. Yes I do have the newer remote (Chan on the button and Page on the remote). I guess the IR to my bedroom is bad? I'm surprised this thing caused all these problems, but it did. I can repeat the problems by just plugging it back in. Any use one of these and have you had this problem?

Originally posted by GREEK
    for all you guys with the reboot loops here it is again, SZ already put it in the spoon so open wide and let the choo choo in........

boot with the 25xtreme cd
    enter
    enter
    edit_bootparms hdx -i
    ctrl alt delete

x in the hdx is either a, b, c, or d, in other words......HD location...
    hdx is either hda, hdb, hdc, or hdd depending which location your HD is at such as secondary slave is hdd.......etc
    x
    Is there feedback after you do the edit_bootparms, or does it just return to a new line? I didn't get any response when I tried the above order, so I just assumed it worked. Put the drive back in and I'm still having the same problem where it will reboot after booting all the way to video. Guess I may just have to nuke the drive.

this is not a fix for that problem. Most newer drives are ata133 and 7200 so they play havoc on the boot of the dinosaur ide bus on the tivo. If you do your drive or put in aftermarket and check ALL the jumper settings to make sure its set CS or Master depending on your drive this fixes that. You will either get a constant welcome powering up reboot loop, or just a welcome powering up screen stuck there. If you get to the video screen it is either a parlex ribbon cable, a bad HD/Hd image, or power supply. It can be board related but that is rare and usually surge or lightning related. Try the 3 above, and post back. BTW after the command line you will just go back to a blank prompt. This means no errors and it worked. Then you just 3 finger reboot and its over. The edit_bootparmigian is mostly maxtor drives, and some oddballs.

Originally posted by GREEK
    .... The edit_bootparmigian is mostly maxtor drives, ....
    Sounds like some sort of hard cheese, or something....
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

ok, thanks, I'm using a 5400 Maxtor at the moment. Looks like the image got funky, cuz reimaging fixed it, though that's a new problem now.

If I end up getting a 120G Barracuda V drive, is that something that will need the runideturbo=false, or should I only worry about that if I run into problems?