Thread: anybody done successful divx conversions?

anybody done successful divx conversions?

I just got my turbonet last week and got it all set up no problems, and thanks to everybody for their hard work on all this great FREE software...but I want to convert the extracted video to divx format for my Dell Axim....and am pulling my hair out trying to get it to work. Here's what I'm doing:

Extract with Tytool in .ty format
    Demux to .m2a and m2v using tydemux
    Besweet for .m2a to .wav conversion
    Toolame for .wav to mp2
    mplex to mux the .mp2 and the m2v into an mpeg

This seems like a lot of steps to get there, but its all command line and I use a modified version of JSquare's batch file, so it all really one step, and doesn't take to long, even on my slow Duron 800 mhz. The mpeg file I get out of this process plays in WinDVD perfectly, with perfect audio sync. However, I am going absolutely NUTS trying to get it to encode in divx without losing audio sync. I've tried VirtualDub (the ver modified for mpeg2 video) and it doesn't seem to even get close...even without applying any filters or anything the video previews as out of audio sync. Vidomi seems to work a little bit better, but still no elusive perfect sync....and it doesn't have the options that VirtualDub does. Anyway, enough rambling...has anybody made good Divx's? If so, please do tell...I want to put movies on the Axim (1 gb Sandisk CF cards rule)! Thanks in advance, and thanks to this forum for teaching me so much!

Kurt
    Philips DSR6K and loving life.

i'm curious why you are using besweet and toolame at all? why not just mux the m2v and m2a files into the mpeg? also, why mux to mpeg anyway?

here is what i would do:

rename the m2a to mp2 (they are the same, afaik) and use winamp to make a wav. load the m2v into dvd2avi and get a d2v file. then use avisynth to make an avs script that loads the video, audio, does resizing, etc etc. load the avs into virtualdub (or nandub for SBC DivX) and if u got all the filtering done in avisynth, encode w/ fast recompress. for a/v sync issues, u can try loading the audio in (v/n)dub separately and messing w/ the offset, etc. that info should be in the log for your ty -> m2v/m2a process (if not, try doing it w/ tytool)

my personal process is different than that above, however. i have no sync issues tho. if u want to know exactly what i do, email me at balance_07@yahoo.com

Thumbs up

Why don't you just post it so everyone looking for the info can find and read it?

I've had great tivo to divx results just using DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 with the XviD codec and MP3 for audio.

TMPGEnc doesn't seem to always like the m2v file, so open it in DVD2AVI and save the project. Now in TMPGEnc use your .d2v as the video source and your original .m2a as your audio source. Now select "Output to file" -> AVI file. Select your codec for audio and video and click save. This is a quick and easy way and has given me perfect results.

Remember to change the resolution in the settings to something that wont look squished on a PC.
    Last edited by TheDude83; 02-15-2003 at 06:42 PM.

what audio codecs & settings are you all using? using the above method I get good video but no audio at all...ive tried lame, oggs vorbis and even pcm and can't get any audio to output using the above tmpgenc method. also within a codec, do you have to use a specific setting or should any one of them work? thanks.
    Philips DSR6K and loving life.

are you running windows or linux? I've got the process down to a batch file in linux.
    --
    Steven Adeff
    AIM: IndieRockSteve
    http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/TivoLinux/

i need to get from tivo to 352 x 288 divx to use on my archos multimedia player

Anyone got a process which includes resizing i can try???

Thanks

Originally posted by davidblack
    i need to get from tivo to 352 x 288 divx to use on my archos multimedia player

Anyone got a process which includes resizing i can try???

Thanks
    My above process using DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc will work just fine. You can resize to 352 x 288 and even cut the commercials out in the settings.

Originally posted by Kurt Angle
    what audio codecs & settings are you all using? using the above method I get good video but no audio at all...ive tried lame, oggs vorbis and even pcm and can't get any audio to output using the above tmpgenc method. also within a codec, do you have to use a specific setting or should any one of them work? thanks.
    I'm just using MP3 for audio (MPEG Layer-3, 56 kBit/s, 24,000 Hz, Stereo). It's one of the options (the first one I think) for MP3. I'm not familiar with lame or oggs vorbis, So I can't comment there. Are you using the original m2a file for audio? I've had no problems here.

IndieRockSteve (and others) who have used
    his script - I found that the quality was a LOT worse in the divx file than the original mpeg (even on high bitrate) - is that normal or did something go wrong ?

I tried 800kbps (default) and 1600kbps, a lot worse than the 2600kbps original mpeg file
    (figuring the better compression would make up the difference, but I guess not)

glider - I'll agree at 800 its not as good, though I wouldn't go as far as to say "a lot worse", at 1600 it was practically the same(minus the compressing a compressed video artifacts), so I know somewhere in between will be a break even point.

I can't really explain why this might look so poor for you though. I take it your using the latest ffmpeg and mplayer correct?
    --
    Steven Adeff
    AIM: IndieRockSteve
    http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/TivoLinux/

I convert to Divx constantly and never have sync issues... here's how I do it:

Extract with TyTool5.
    Split with tydemux (NOT jdiners tools which always lose sync for me).
    Mux with mplex.
    Stick it in Vidomi and encode to Divx. I'm sure you could use VDub or VDubMod or whatever instead of Vidomi, but I like the set-it-and-forget-it method of Vidomi.

Once that is done, I edit out commercials in VirtualDubMod and I'm good to go.

As for quality... one of you guys said something about the original being 2600kbps? Are you sure? Tivo records at I believe 5800kbps for Best quality by default. Personally, I encode to Constant Quality 100% and can't see any quality difference at all. But I'm not going for the tiniest files, either, since I stick em on DVD-Rs. I'm having to experiment with different settings tho with Divx 5.0.3 because they seem to have changed how constant quality encoding works... its 3x as fast and produces files twice as big...

OtakuCODE