Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

Hybrid View

Post mfs_ftp: easy extract / insert via ftp protocols

here's a little tivo side ftp server for moving recordings from tivo -> pc, pc -> tivo or tivo <-> tivo with a regular browser or ftp client. video can be moved between different versions of tivo hardware / software and streamviewed on a recieving tivo

mfs_ftp.tar.zip - current version of the complete program dir including s1 support binaries
    (attached to this post)

installation:

shutdown any previous version of mfs_ftp running in the tivo

unzip the mfs_ftp.tar.zip to mfs_ftp.tar on your pc

open mfs_ftp.tar & extract readme.txt - READ IT!

transfer mfs_ftp.tar to /var in the tivo

backup the old mfs_ftp dir: "mv /var/mfs_ftp /var/mfs_ftp.bak"

from the "/var " prompt unpack with

"tar -xvf mfs_ftp.tar" or "cpio -i -H tar -d -F mfs_ftp.tar"

start from bash "/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" or load from a startup script

mfs_ftp 1.2.9 MAY NOT BE REDISTRIBUTED. PERIOD! (read the license and terms of use)

sadly many are offering mfs_ftp installed on units for sale, since the legality of the license is unlikely to deter the unscrupulous here's the deal. if you want to include mfs_ftp on a tivo your selling (presumably as an inducement to buy) send your contact info with a $40 paypal to rc3105@hotmail.com I'll provide a transferrable license tied to the tivo itself & permission to install / distribute mfs_ftp on that particular tivo. this provides a legit means for techs to install sw for the clueless & specified damages that can be recovered (in court, etc) from those distributing in violation of copyright

my paypal is rc3105@hotmail.com and donations are allways appreciated. mfs_ftp is FREE for personal non-commercial use if you install it yourself, so enjoy

Usefull things to have / know about

THIS THREAD IS THE FAQ! (and moderated to stay that way)

please read readme.txt & this ENTIRE thread BEFORE posting a mfs_ftp related question - off topic posts, obsolete info & chitchat more than a month or so old gets nuked

please ask any questions re: installation / usage in this support thread instead of cluttering the forum starting new ones

ALL required S1 support files are included in the zip

here's links to usefull alternate threads

MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units contains S2 support binaries - substitute s2 binaries after installation but before starting mfs_ftp

Mfs_Ftp: suggestions, feedback, etc

mfs ftp issues in the newbie forum

tmf / ty+ tivoweb extraction module: extract tmf or ty+ via tivoweb

tmf2ty_cfg.exe is a windows binary that extracts ty from tmf. these ty are insertable with mfs_ftp & compatable with all ty utilities. if savepath.txt is in the directory with tmf2ty_cfg.exe (or in the dir with the tmf under some versions of XP) the first line of the file is used as the output path. these are tcl paths so use forward slashes - "x:/extracts/" "d:/my_recordings/" "v:/video_files/" etc

Commonly asked questions (and answers)
    Last edited by rc3105; 04-24-2004 at 03:37 PM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Nice one Guys, this is the best TVIO app i have got. Can you please pass thanks onto all the clever people who made this possible.

Ok, I'm having a "Blonde" moment, I;ve copied the 3 files to /mfs-ftp, made them exce with chmod. but when i do ./mfs_ftp.tcl i get "No Such File or Directory" ?

I have missed somthing here, i can run the app by doing /tvbin/tivosh msf_ftp.tcl, but it stop when i try to download as it cant run the other file.

Please call me stupid as i'm sure it a very silly mistake that i have made.

Regards

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wheelbarrow
    Nice one Guys, this is the best TVIO app i have got. Can you please pass thanks onto all the clever people who made this possible.

Ok, I'm having a "Blonde" moment, I;ve copied the 3 files to /mfs-ftp, made them exce with chmod. but when i do ./mfs_ftp.tcl i get "No Such File or Directory" ?

I have missed somthing here, i can run the app by doing /tvbin/tivosh msf_ftp.tcl, but it stop when i try to download as it cant run the other file.

Please call me stupid as i'm sure it a very silly mistake that i have made.

Regards

Paul
    I am having the same problem as this guy. I installed and chmod-ed it, and it just gives me the "No such file" error.

I searched through the thread quickly, and I didn't find anything. Any ideas?

list regeneration

the latest version regenerates the list at every LIST/NLIST command, which may work fine for people who use graphical ftp clients, but makes it just about unuseable for those of us who use command line clients.

earlier versions didn't regenerate every time, but only when they got a signal that the list had changed.

this worked fine for new items appearing or items being deleted, but had a problem when shows finished recording and no other activity took place.

how about going back to the old logic, but add a list regeneration when a CWD is done to make an easy way to regenerate the list when something off happens.

also in the latest version there is a bug in the NLIST logic that causes it to return itms that don't match the pattern supplied (this is bad enough for a mget, but is fatal when used with a mdel command)

Hi,

Are you sure about the NLST pattern matching? It is doing a regexp call, so it isn't using the 'glob' type regular expression (like ls). *.ty doesn't mean the same thing, glob-wise as regular expression-wise, if that makes sense. i.e. any show with Lost in the title is .*Lost.*, not *Lost*.

Just curious as to what patterns you're using and what the results are.

]Monty[
    2 Series 2 SA
    1 Series 2 DT SA

first off I change the name formatting back to the old style (without the {} in them)

where I've run into trouble with the regex matching is when I do something like

mget 3561547* to grab a single file, it seems to act like I've done mget 356154* instead (loosing a character off of what I've specified)

Quote Originally Posted by csyria
    I am having the same problem as this guy. I installed and chmod-ed it, and it just gives me the "No such file" error.

I searched through the thread quickly, and I didn't find anything. Any ideas?
    Yep, delete all of the mfs_ftp related files you have installed.

Follow the instructions in the 1st post of this thread.

transfer mfs_ftp.tar to /var in the tivo in BINARY mode

backup the old mfs_ftp dir: "mv /var/mfs_ftp /var/mfs_ftp.bak"

from the "/var " prompt unpack with
    "cpio -i -H tar -d -F mfs_ftp.tar"

start from bash "/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" or load from a startup script
    Last edited by ThePicMan; 02-24-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Darn ASCII mode...
    Last edited by bcm00re; 02-21-2008 at 12:27 AM.

set your ftp client for binary mode whenever transferring via tivoftpd.

a tmf is just a tarfile. winrar & some other utils can only see files in the first 2 gig of a tar. winzip works fine

many ftp clients will only download the first 2 gig even if you have fat32 (4gig limit) or hpfs, ntfs, ext2/3 (no limit) please make sure your ftp client isn't broken
    Last edited by rc3105; 10-04-2003 at 12:15 AM.

So after doing some testing with the tool, results were as I expected. I can ftp a show off my standalone and ftp it to my DirecTivo and it works beautifully (although for a half hour show, the Tivo thinks it's an hour, however the green in the progress bar stops at 30 mins like it should). Also as I expected I cannot ftp stuff off of my DirecTivo and get it to play on my standalone. I had suspected this would be the case from earlier work I was doing with insertion. Overall, things look great.

What I'd love to be able to have is a tool that I could give an AVI, MPEG, etc along with some details about it, and could then covert that to the TMF format for insertion onto the Tivo. i.e. Download a movie trailer from the net then insert it on the Tivo.

Keep up the great work...

Derek aka ][ronMan aka DSmooth

TMF specs

ok, couple of people have asked, so here's the info.

tmf stands for tivo media format. the NAME was AlphaWolf's idea :-p the original code to generate it was done by tivodvlpr & mbm.

edit: sorry, how did I forget to mention dtype? duh@me...

a .tmf file is a regular tar file that contains the following, in this order.

showing.xml
    part00.ty
    part01.ty
    part04.ty

showing.xm is a xml file with the info from the nowshowing database stored as regular text. title, episode, description, everything. the .ty parts each represend an individual fsid as it's stored in the tivo.

pretty simple really. the xml is a bit hairy, but easy enough to parse out the title / description etc and it contains all the info the tivo stores about a recording.

--
    Riley
    Last edited by rc3105; 02-18-2003 at 10:56 PM.

bds42 Guest

Jdiner ty's...newbie question

Okay so here's what I did...please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

I took a ty extracted by tytool and renamed it to {Show Title}ate}{Episode Title}{Time-Date}{Channel}.ty.

Then I tried to drag it to the TY directory using FlashFXP. When doing that I get 'invalid file type for upload.'

Ditto when using commandline ftp...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

bds42

"Invalid file type" just checks the file suffix IIRC - are you sure it's just called .ty

Also check you are uploading in Binary mode.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by bds42
    Okay so here's what I did...please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

I took a ty extracted by tytool and renamed it to {Show Title}ate}{Episode Title}{Time-Date}{Channel}.ty.

Then I tried to drag it to the TY directory using FlashFXP. When doing that I get 'invalid file type for upload.'

Ditto when using commandline ftp...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

bds42
    Don't rename it until it is inserted and then use tivoweb or edittitle to rename it. The ending should be .ty not .ty. Unless that a period.
    Mikey

ms ftp goes nuts fills up log file had to disable it in rc.sysinit.author

installed normal way into a box hacked via sleeper iso version 2 dsr704 with monte .. everything else working got new webplus working ftp regular is working.. etc. .

here is the log file.. and if I didn't go into the rc.sysinit.author it would have filled up the disk with the stupid log file...

anyone have any ideas what is going on....
    this didn't go nuts till I ftp'd in and cd'd into the ty directory and then lost connection (ie crash ) and all hell broke loose..

thanks in advance...
    I also can be emailed at kahn@lgk.com

ie

catch close lastsock val "can't read "info(lastsock)": no such element in array"
    05:46:50:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9Q - {sock22} from "216.177.20.114:1457"
    05:47:10:PM - 331 User name okay, need password.
    05:47:12:PM - 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
    05:47:14:PM - 200 PORT command successful.
    05:47:14:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    05:47:14:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
    05:48:44:PM - 200 PORT command successful.
    05:48:44:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    05:48:44:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
    05:49:59:PM - 250 Directory change successful.
    05:50:00:PM - 200 PORT command successful.
    05:50:00:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    05:50:00:PM - updating cached recording info
    .bgerror invoked with error

" syntax error in expression "((0x - 4) / 256) + 1" "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the current ftp connection and simply open another

"core dump"

info(version): 1.2.9Q
    info(tswv): 3.1.1b-02-2-301
    info(dbl): 0
    info(ithrottle): 2
    info(insert_priority): 10
    info(multithreaded): 0