Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

Originally posted by rc3105
    ....original idea was more of a single coherent binary (as is my eventual goal) the current version is really just a proof of concept test that got loose!
    <mfs_ftp sourcecode>

switch -glob $attr {
    ActualShowing -
    BitRate -

</mfs_ftp sourcecode>

the tmf/xml data doesn't contain the bitrate info so it can't be restored as anything other than a best guess. on dtivos (what I mostly have/develop on) the quality is allways best since there's no other option so that's the default

it's easy enough to include/restore the bitrate info but that would produce nonstandard tmf files. tmf might get a revision when the tivoweb or tivoweb-ng import module is released but don't hold your breath

<mfs_ftp sourcecode>

set progitems "Title EpisodeTitle OriginalAirDate"
    foreach item $progitems { set info($fsid,$item) [strim [dbobj $info($fsid,Program) get $item]] }

</mfs_ftp sourcecode>

the original airdate should be restored

mbm's import.tcl restores all the xml info, not a big priority here though (silly me, watching the video instead of reading the credits! )

--
    Riley
    Last edited by rc3105; 08-22-2003 at 12:46 PM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Can anyone shed any light on this:

I have two S1 TiVos.

Both have the same configuration:

UK 2.5.5 software
    mfs_ftp, TyStudio, TiVoWeb loaded at boot (in that order)
    Running version f
    embeem's mfs_import
    ideturbo = false
    hdparms set as suggested

The only difference between the two is that one is a factory 40G drive, the other a 80 + 30 upgrade. They are both connected to the same switch, and both give perfectly fine download speeds.

On the factory 40, my problem is that inserts run too fast - with the default settings they run at 1,150K and that locks up the machine. (The 600k mentioned above was with version a and the normal mfs_stdinsert)

On the other one they run too slow - 350K or so, too slow to watch the stream as it copies over.

I'd settle for an average!

Any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by sanderton; 08-31-2003 at 12:06 PM.

re-read the posts that relate to adjusting info(ithrottle) and the priority that mfs_stdinsert or mfs_import runs at.

make sure you have a working copy of mbm's setpri in /bin

eliminate other variables while testing configuration changes. nosignal the tuner, disconnect the pc from the net, etc

(725k/sec is nearly 3 gig / hour??? is that right??? < 1.5 gig/hr on my sa here at 720*480...)
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-10-2003 at 04:45 AM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

riley,

i was just messing with the latest mplayer and noticed that it now has ftp support. since the main branch of mplayer doesn't contain the code to stream from vserver, but does contain the code to play ty streams, i though it would be interesting to try and get it to stream from mfs-ftp.
    i've got it playing ty streams from an ftp server on my pc, and it works brilliantly. however mfs-ftp doesn't support the SIZE command that mplayer seems to require before it can play a file over ftp. Any chance of adding it some time?
    obviously to scan to various points in the stream it would require REST to resume, but it doesn't seem to need that to play the stream from start to finish. i'm not even sure it would be possible to implement REST in mfs-ftp?

if mplayer could stream from mfs-ftp then cygwin wouldn't be necessary anymore as the latest mplayer is available as a mingw32 binary. which may also get around the 4GB limit that mplayer compiled under cygwin has.

anyway, just throwing the idea out there. feel free to ignore it as it's hardly a high priority.

Series 1 SA <--> HDVR2 ???

I've been watching this thread and using mfs_ftp from the beginning with my single SA HDR312 S1 unit. I'm now contemplating purchasing an HDVR2 unit (only $99!!).

Can I transfer shows between these two?? I've read various (contradicting) posts on this issue.

it's only moving recordings from S1 dtivo to S2 dtivo that causes playback without audio
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-10-2003 at 04:36 AM.
    ---

Hey Riley! I finally got a chance to try out mfs_ftp today. I just wanted to say "kudos" on such an inventive tool! I connected via setting up a "Network Place" to the TiVo's IP in Windows XP and "drag and drop" works great. I only get around 1MB/s compared to TyTool's 1.5MB/s but it's still very respectable! I'm impressed!
    DVD Backup guides and TiVo to DVDR guide ----> HTTP://DVDGUIDES.TRILIGHT.NET

Re: Cat'ing Port 3105.log

Originally posted by mavrcksd
    Riley:

When I do a cat of the port.3105.log ... it lists through the % and the 'k' done... however then my bash prompt comes right along and drops on top of it, so I cannot see what is on the left side of the screen.

Mav
    cat will list the contents of the log file and exit. What you want is

tail -f port.3105.log

The tail command 'cats' just the end of the file requested. The -f option tells tail when it hits the end of the file, don't exit, just wait for more data to be written and print that out too.

MFS Cleanup

Good work!!

How do I clean up the "now showing" index and maybe? empty allocations? When attempting to delete shows with the remote or TiVoWeb, it just BONGS or gives an error. This is caused by TiVo-TiVo FXP transfers failing early in the transfer.

I thought MBM had something, I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance!

(is it as easy as choosing "delete" with the FTP client?

edit yep, just delete the bogus recording via the ftp client
    Last edited by rc3105; 09-16-2003 at 07:17 AM.

How stable is extraction using mfs_ftp while a DTiVo is recording from one tuner? From both?

if you have setpri in /bin it'll adjust the extraction priority to the lowest level possible. even without setpri it won't interfere with dual recordings. (menu response might get sluggish but that's all)
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-10-2003 at 04:48 AM.
    ---

ok a stupid question for you...

ok...i have been able to set the mfs_ftp on both my dtivo's with no problem. i have read the "read me" and it says...

How to transfer a show directly from one tivo to another:

this is how it works with w98/smartftp 1.0. I'm sure other platforms / clients
    differ but figuring them out it up to you. this is just what I generally use.

open a connection to each tivo & drag a .tmf from one remote file list window
    to the other.

you can hit play as soon as the recording appears in the recieving tivo
    nowshowing list (about 10-15 seconds) and watch it as it streams across.

transfers between tivonet/dtivos here generally run about 900k/sec. ymmv.
    the speed of the pc running smart-ftp makes NO difference since fxp transfers
    are DIRECT and the pc just coordinates traffic

the stupid question:
    Where are the .tmf File located on the Dtivo please??? (are they in var or /var/hack?)

When mfs_ftp is running and you connect to the port 3105, you will see several directories including ty and tmf. The specific file types are in those respective directories.

ok..i know i am pressing my luck with stupid questions but...

now all is installed and i'm now using port 3105 (thanks for the info) and i have installed smartFTP v1.0. i have pulled up 2 boxs (one for each Dtivo) and have both of them pointed to the TMF folder. I try to pull one TMF file from Dtivo A to Dtivo B and it looks like i can drop the file there but when i release the mouse button nothing happens. i have tried with passive mode on and off and from B to A and A to B. same thing. The engine is running i just need to know how to pull the gear out of "park". Thanks for your tolerence with me.

Q_3

quantum:

Have you checked on Tivo's A and B to see if you have an inserted program. If you just drag from one box to the other without using the right click queue feature, you won't get any statistics or even a signal that it's done. (I actually don't get any stats on the FXP even when it's queued, but I can see when it moves to the next item and clears the current one out.)

You should have a program inserting in the background even though it doesn't look like its doing anything in SmartFTP.