Page 14 of 99 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

rc3105-

I've asked in here a few times now. It seems to be ignored.

Does the latest version fix the problem with a large series 1 tivo with ALOT of shows and 16 meg crashing as mfs_ftp tries to enumerate the files in the tivo?

We spoke about this a while back and you said it was due to the way you get the names and I should try an older version and you'd look at it for a future version.

Any fixes found?

try it & see, I dunno. it works fine here on a hdr112 with 300+ recordings. the tivo itself is so slow as to be unusable with that many shows, (2 mins to go from livetv to nowplaying) but insert & extract works fine
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

problem with upgrade to 1.2.9F

RC3105... I want to start off by thanking you for MFS_FTP...

I just upgraded from 1.2.8g to 1.2.9F and everthing seems to be working. I can transfer shows but I noticed a couple of things that seem different.

1. When I initially sign on it seems like it takes considerably longer between entering the username and prompting for the password. 1.2.8g used to prompt almost immediately. .9F takes about 15 seconds to prompt for password. Is this normal?

2. When I start up mfs_ftp it displays: catch close lastsock val "can't read "info(lastsock)": no such element in array". Is this nomal?

Again, Thanks for the great tool.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

yes & yes. F builds the cache before enabling the control socket so login can take a bit longer. the failed catch close on startup is normal - verbose logging on new functions/features makes troubleshooting from posted logs easier
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Inserting ty+ files

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that you can now extract and insert ty+ files. I tried to do this and the file seems to insert ok except the show info is incorrect - it uses the filename (i.e. 123456 {Seinfeld...). Is that supposed to happen?

What format should I use to extract if I want to reinsert and also play files directly from my PC? Are there players that can play tmf files?

Is there some documentation available for mfs_ftp beyond what is in the readme.txt file. It doesn't go into too much detail on this issue.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to troubleshoot slow insertions? When inserting I am lucky to get 160k/sec (according to the log). I am using the network drivers that came with version 3.0 of the TiVo software and I don't believe I have made any changes to the mfs_ftp.tcl file. I have tried looking through this thread but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Tmf files include the ty files and so can be used for extraction/insertion. If you want to play the file on you PC you can extract the ty from the tmf with a program called tmf2ty (link found in the initial post of this thread (tmf2ty_cfg.exe I think).

Then you can play the files in WMP (with the appropriate direct-show filters), or use another toolset to make a mpg file. Since you want to deal with ty+ files I'm guessing you already know what to do once you get a ty file. IIRC, TYTool8r3 will let you work directly with the tmf.

ew

[i]

Then you can play the files in WMP (with the appropriate direct-show filters), or use another toolset to make a mpg file. Since you want to deal with ty+ files I'm guessing you already know what to do once you get a ty file. IIRC, TYTool8r3 will let you work directly with the tmf.

ew [/B]
    How dows TyTools work with tmf files. Do you first have to download the tmf to your PC or can TyTools work with the tmf directly from your TiVo.

The ideal situation would be if someone wrote a player to play tmf files since right now if I want to play a file from PC and perhaps reinsert some day I will need it in both tmf and ty (or mpetg) format, will I not?

tmf & ty from mfs_ftp both insert fine

mplayer, TyStudio and the windows directshow filter need ty

X-box Media Player and X-box Media Center both play ty, XMBP will also play tmf. (if you use your xbox as a dvd player all you need to do is put the tmf or ty on dvd-r)

there's really not any reason to archive as tmf - except perhaps that ocassionally the xml isn't restored when inserting ty or ty+. works fine here, I can't track down why it doesn't work for some unless they post level 3 logs
    ---

increasing transfer speeds

I have been trying to speed up my insertion, currently averaging 750 KB/s, and extraction, currently about 1600 KB/s, speeds and read this earlier post by Riley:

“hdparms can make a big difference, this is safe for stock quantums “hdparm -c1 -d1 -m8 -S0 /dev/hda /dev/hdb" try it from bash before adding to rc.sysinit or rc.remote-login”

-m8 is for MultiSect, -d is for DMA and can be set to a maximum of 2 for a series 1 dtivo, I think, but can someone please tell me what are the appropriate values are for –c, and –S from the example below, assuming it shows the needed information, and if I should set the DMA? I also noticed that the original quantum had TrkSize=32256, SectSize=21298 and the my Maxtor is showing 0 for both. Is this correct? I don’t think I have changed this but..

/var/hack# hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
    Model=Maxtor 4R120L0, FwRev=RAMB1TU0, SerialNo=M0000000000000000000
    Config={ Fixed }
    RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
    BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
    DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=0(slow)
    CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=240121728
    tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 *mword2
    IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4

Riley thanks for the great tool, all or your hard work, and answering all of these questions,
    Mikey

hdparm usage & settings

add these lines to rc.sysinit, rc.sysinit.author or wherever you like in a startup script

hdparm -c 1 -S 0 -m 8 -M 1 -d 1 /dev/hda /dev/hdb
    hdparm -c 1 -S 0 -m 16 -M 1 -d 1 /dev/hda /dev/hdb

disabling ideturbo (via the boot parms or simply deleting the file) and the hdparm settings -c 1 & -m 8 make the biggest differences

cmd explainations:

the first line sets the multicount to 8, supported by nearly every drive you're likely to see. the second line bump's that to 16, supported by 95% of all drives. if you have one of the unfortunate 5% hdparm returns an error & multicount remains at 8

/dev/hda /dev/hdb applies changes to drive A and B if available

-c (0/1) is for 16/32 bit transfers. 32 is of course MUCH more effecient

-S is the standby timeout. 0 == never. generally not an issue, but never hurts to be thorough

-m get/set multiple sector count, varies by drive, generally 8 or 16

-d (0/1) disable/enable dma. set to 1 (enable) of course.

(there's another command to change the dma mode, but don't change it unless you're feeling adventureous, have everything backed up & know exactly what the command is all about. *nix guru's only)

-M drive streaming-media mode (0/1) - generally doesn't make any difference unless you're running 10,000 rpm AV drives
    Last edited by rc3105; 04-05-2004 at 02:42 AM.

mfs_ftp .ty extraction question

Does the version of mfs_ftp effect the way a .ty file gets extracted to your computers hard drive?

In other words, as long as I have the .ty file on my computers hard drive, will it be exactly the same no matter what version of mfs_ftp im using?

Thanks.
    Webmaster @
    Shr00mServer's i730 Resources.
    http://nextel.shroomserver.org/

newbie question

I just downloaded the mfs_ftp file. After I install it in to the var directory how do I use it. Is there an FAQ that goes over how to use it? Also I have upgraded hard drives on a tivo but no other hacking. Where do I get the files etc to do the modifications? If I download the files to my pc how do I convert them to mpeg or something for dvd burning. Also Can I send video from one tivo to another without using my pc (from a menu on the tivo) if the tivos are networked. How do I set up streaming so I can watch one show from another tivo.
    Last edited by rkshack; 10-30-2003 at 10:51 PM.
    hdr612 hacked to 128hrs
    hdr312 not hacked

No one will give you all this in one post.

There is a pretty good search function on this site. I would use it if I were you.

When your questions become far more specific, you'll get more specific answers.

Read thru this thread in particular if you want to find out more about mfs_ftp.

In the compressed file you downloaded from the first post there should be a readme.... my suggestion is that you read it...

Originally posted by Shr00m
    Does the version of mfs_ftp effect the way a .ty file gets extracted to your computers hard drive?

In other words, as long as I have the .ty file on my computers hard drive, will it be exactly the same no matter what version of mfs_ftp im using?
    short answer - every version of mfs_ftp has produced identical tmf, ty & ty+ files (so far)

long answer - the embedded xml has a version number and there's a RFC thread on the forum where tmf was developed. if/when the formats evolve the specifics will be available there

edit: the embedded xml has evolved slightly but the ty will allways be a 1:1
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-10-2003 at 05:19 AM.
    ---

Is there an FAQ that goes over how to use it?
    To my knowledge there is no FAQ for MFS_FTP. As dialanothernumb pointed out, there is a README in the file you have downloaded. Read that and then through this thread. I know it is a long thread but there is a tremendous amount of useful information in here.

Also I have upgraded hard drives on a tivo but no other hacking.
    Do you have a NIC in your TiVo? Certainly that would qualify as a "hack" of sorts. If you do not have a NIC in it then MFS_FTP is rather pointless.

Where do I get the files etc to do the modifications?
    You can find pretty much everything you will need at TivoStuff. There is a download section and a HOW-TO section (among other things).

If I download the files to my pc how do I convert them to mpeg or something for dvd burning.
    You can start reading here.

Also Can I send video from one tivo to another without using my pc (from a menu on the tivo) if the tivos are networked.
    No. You can use an FXP transfer from one TiVo to another, but it will need to be initiated by your PC. Look a little way back in this thread for some comments I made on SmartFTP and FXP.

How do I set up streaming so I can watch one show from another tivo.
    Not at the moment. You can check here for a status of the project.