Page 13 of 99 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

Originally posted by misato

Convert the TMF file to TY using a version of tmf.exe that Riley whipped up for me way back.
    You may want to consider extracting a "ty+" file with mfs_ftp instead of a tmf file. The "ty+" filetype is re-insertable like a tmf but can also be directly used by tystudio without an additional conversion step.

That's a thought. The TMF.EXE step is by far the fastest of the bunch, so there's not a lot of speed motivation to try upgrading, but it's something to try when I get the itch.

Originally posted by rung
    The "ty+" filetype is re-insertable like a tmf but can also be directly used by tystudio without an additional conversion step.
    So there is a benefit to Ty+ file extraction over tmf.

Is there any benefit to tmf extraction?

Can tmf files be considered 'deprecated'?

I imagine that support would have to be continued because there are archived recordings around that need to be inserted.

the ty & ty+ from mfs_ftp and tmf2ty are exactly the same thing

they're insertable and can be processed into mpg or played by any current utility

tmf are only required for archiving scrambled recordings and some of mfs_ftp's optional features (check the readme)
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Before I try it I thought I would ask.

If I record a ppv or HBO or Showtime ect. movie on my dtivo and insert it onto a friends dtivo that did not buy the ppv and/or does not subscribe to the movie channels are we asking for DTV/tivo legal trouble?

Just wondering,
    thanks,
    mikey

insertion throughput

Hi. First off, just like to say wow! I love this little gem you whipped up Riley! I had some shows that I stored about a year ago on my hd and I have been dumping them back onto my DTivo T60 all day now. I love it! BTW, they were extracted with TivoApp if that helps anyone out.

I've been reading through this thread and I see a few people who have reported insertion bottlenecks. I am another one I guess. I can't really make out what has worked for others though. On the extraction side, I get about 1900 KB/s. I'm very satisfied with that of course. On the insertion side though, I only get about 250 KB/s if I'm lucky. I've tried changing the insertion priority from 10 to 3 and ithrottle from 1 to 4 in both the settings.tcl and mfs_ftp.tcl files. That didn't seem to do a darn thing. Maybe even slowed me down a touch.

Anyway, did I miss something? Did I adjust these settings in the wrong direction? What can I do to bump up my insertion throughput? I even tried putting the machine into standby mode which made little to no change. Any suggestions. I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks.

edit: the most likely problem is the ideturbo module is loaded. check the readme & earlier in the thread where that's discussed - Riley
    Last edited by rc3105; 10-21-2003 at 03:42 AM.

Originally posted by mikey

If I record a ppv or HBO or Showtime ect. movie on my dtivo and insert it onto a friends dtivo that did not buy the ppv and/or does not subscribe to the movie channels are we asking for DTV/tivo legal trouble?

Just wondering,
    thanks,
    mikey
    I think it falls under "fair use" like giving a friend a video tape. As long as you don't circumvent encryption then you do not violate DMCA ( in USA). "fair use" says you can give a friend a video tape but you can't distribute the tape widely and show it to a large audience.

Sharing the shows ala napster/gnutella might more likely be illegal but that doesn't seem to be stopping some people.

My .02$, though. Someone will correct me with great pomposity, I'm sure. ;^>

Connecting to 192.168.1.101
    Connected to 192.168.1.101 Port 3104
    220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9F - {sock23} from "192.168.1.100:2989"
    [/B]
    Okay... I just noticed something else. First let me explain quickly how FTP works (forgive me if you already know this stuff)

FTP needs to open two connections, a control connection and a data connaction. The control connection will always orginate from the client to some fixed port on the server. The data connection will either originate from the client, if in passive mode, or the server, if in active mode.

In the case of mfs_ftp, 3105 is the control channel but, somehow, you're using 3104 as the control channel. That might explain why passive mode is choosing 3103. Did you make a change in mfs_ftp to listen on 3104?

Make sure your forwarding

port 3105 on the outside to tivo port 3105 on the inside
    port 3104 on the outside to tivo port 3104 on the inside

Oh, yeah, remember... Pokemon.. ;-/

Originally posted by rc3105
    tmf are only required for archiving scrambled recordings and some of mfs_ftp's optional features (check the readme)
    when inserting a large file, the tmf file will stream, the ty file will get stuck after some time until the transfer is complete and the xml information that is at the end is processed

Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
    Okay... I just noticed something else. First let me explain quickly how FTP works (forgive me if you already know this stuff)
    <slap to the forehead>

Y'know... I just looked at the readme and it has a whole lot of valuable information in there. Yes, active FTP is supported and its the prefered method because it's faster. So try getting the router/firewall working with active. Opening port 3105 should be enough if you do active transfers.

Originally posted by mikey

Just wondering,
    thanks,
    mikey
    well, yes & no. the new recording doesn't have the same type of "roots" in the mfs db as a regular recording. as far as dtv/tivo knows you just recorded something manually & renamed it with tivoweb

this is partly lazy & partly on purpose. personally I DO NOT want the tivo to skip recoding something because it was inserted once upon a time & went into the recording history

edit:

an inserted ppv won't be logged to the access card or phoned in by the dtv side of the unit - however - the tivo logs will contain the original ppv info (name, date, time, channel) & upload to the mothership unless you run something like logsnull. it's unlikely tivo / dtv compare notes that closely but better safe than sorry. if you insert janet-superbowl & slowmo the halftime show 50 times tivo will know

one other thing

the terms of use explicitly prohibit any commercial or illegal use

you can record home videos, security camera footage, product demos or anything you hold copyright to & transfer / share it (I actually do this btw) but please don't distribute anything illegally - hollywood will freak, tivo will have to respond (again) and it'll just make things difficult for everybody
    Last edited by rc3105; 10-22-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Re: FTP Question

Originally posted by Karpa
    I can run in active mode inside my firewall, but outside I have to run passive. I assume that I would have to open a port on my remote computer to get the back route for active. Is this correct?
    Is the remote computer behind a firewall? If it is, the firewall needs to know how to handle active FTP. Active FTP means that the Tivo will be originating a TCP connection back to the remote computer whe you try to copy or do dir listing. Look at the firewall documentation to see if it supports active FTP. If it doesn;t then either use the PC outside the firewall or you're stuck with passive.

If you must use passive then make sure you forward port 3105 on the outside-of-the tivo router to port 3105 on the tivo. Do the same for 3104.

There's not much more you can do beyond this here. If it's not working then keep trying. What you showed me before showed that you were forwarding 3105 to 3104 on the tivo.

FTP issue/question

First of all thanks Riley for a superb utility!

With tivo -> tivo transfers, using smartftp, I'm getting an active outgoing connection but passive incoming connection, so overall transfer speed is about 263 KB/s. Both tivos have port 3105 open and are within my LAN and behind my NAT/Router (as is the PC running smartftp). mfs_ftp is of course running on both tivos having opened up 3105 by default.

Is this the limit or can tivo->tivo run active connx?

Thanks

dialanothernumb,

From reading about FXP on the SmartFTP it appears that FXP can only use passive mode transfers. Or, perhaps SmartFTP only supports passive transfers using FXP. Either way, it seems we are limited to passive.

To everyone/anyone:

I tried using MFS_FTP for the first time last night. I got the latest versions from the first post in this thread and installed/ran it on two DSR6000s. I then got the latest SmartFTP (v1.0 build 979) and installed/ran it on my laptop. I initiated an FXP transfer of an NFL Sunday Ticket game (so it is better than 4 hours of recording) from one box to the other. I left it running over night.

This morning I checked the destination DTivo and found that it was showing the new "Now Playing" entry as still recording. Checking the MFS_FTP logs I found a "broken pipe" error. I don't have the full error message with me (had to hurry in to the office). From what I have read here, I understand that I should be able to delete the failed recording through the MFS_FTP program. Is there anything in particular I should look at regarding the "broken pipe" error message?

Re: FTP issue/question

Originally posted by dialanothernumb
    First of all thanks Riley for a superb utility!

With tivo -> tivo transfers, using smartftp, I'm getting an active outgoing connection but passive incoming connection, so overall transfer speed is about 263 KB/s. Both tivos have port 3105 open and are within my LAN and behind my NAT/Router (as is the PC running smartftp). mfs_ftp is of course running on both tivos having opened up 3105 by default.

Is this the limit or can tivo->tivo run active connx?

Thanks
    a ftp transfer is between server & client tcp sockets. when the server is active then the ftp client is passive. when the transfer is server - server one server must act as a client & run passive

passive mode extracts don't suffer from the tivo tcp bug as much as inserts do. if the sending tivo happens to run passive & the recieving tivo runs active then fxp transfers run pretty much full speed, otherwise you see the passive mode insert slowdown
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer