Page 27 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

I will agree with that... but I close smartftp all the time, and the transfers don't stop, they continue because SmartFTP does not need to be running for the transfer to occur... maybe you are using a newer version than I was when I was doing FXP, it would estimate... if you look at the graph that shows the transfer speed... for me it never changed, it stayed constant, which never really happens... if your's is changing, maybe they have determined how to check the d/l progress and you are simply looking at a bug in smartFTP...
    =-BAHitman

3 HDVR2 - 1x160G 4.01b
    3 DSR7000 - 1x160G 4.01b
    1 Tivo 60hr - 1x60G 7.1

TiVo - The best thing since Color TV!

Yeah, that will be a first. A bug that actually improved on the software :-)

Anyway, (off-topic) I am just glad I am able to transfer shows between the tivo in my home and the tivo in my office (about a mile distance), using my wireless lan :-)

Can't get Tivo's to play nice

Well Ive read through numerous posts of people asking for setting on their FTP software to get insertions back and forth and have done the best I could with my setttings so far

I picked SmartFTP becasue it was mentioned in the instructions file as playing nice --- it brings up each TIVO perfectly and its file structure -- but they will not send or receive to each other and they keep trying to set up pasv mode

I can however download to my PC from either TIVO --

The key settings I paid attention to in SmartFTP are:
    Binary Mode
    Mode: Port Setting (vs PASV)
    Port IP Mode : auto
    Port 3105
    Enable Keep Alive -- on

So could someone tell me how to resolve this with the settings

or I have no problem going with another FTP software program like CuteFTP or FTP voyager if I know the settings

thanks Michael

I'm using SmartFtp in pasv mode (active mode speeds are faster but it stalls quicker). PASV mode will get me speeds at about 300K/s and anywhere from 10MB to 700MB per transfer. It always stops responding and I have to restart the Tivo to restart mfs_ftp. I have tivoweb and tivoftp and telnet running - should I shut them down? Could it have anything to do with any xplusz settings?

100MB at a time will do, but it sure is frustrating :-)

Could my Linksys wireless router have anything to do with it?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by spot1018
    I'm using SmartFtp in pasv mode (active mode speeds are faster but it stalls quicker). PASV mode will get me speeds at about 300K/s and anywhere from 10MB to 700MB per transfer. It always stops responding and I have to restart the Tivo to restart mfs_ftp. I have tivoweb and tivoftp and telnet running - should I shut them down? Could it have anything to do with any xplusz settings?

100MB at a time will do, but it sure is frustrating :-)

Could my Linksys wireless router have anything to do with it?

Thanks...
    You have something seriously broken. So you have a series 2? In which case, make sure you have the correct binaries installed.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M
    I picked SmartFTP becasue it was mentioned in the instructions file as playing nice --- it brings up each TIVO perfectly and its file structure -- but they will not send or receive to each other and they keep trying to set up pasv mode
    One of them will always be PASV and the other active, don't worry about that.

I presumne therefore that you're seeing the messages in eachSmart FTP window about beginning the transfer?

Are you sure it's not actually working - you won't see any progress indication on the PC.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Sanderton:

Things will start up one window might say going into Pasv mode -- then the other will say refused connection -(If its helpful I can write down exactly what each window is saying)

Michael

Sanderton:

Things will start up one window might say going into Pasv mode -- then the other will say refused connection -(If its helpful I can write down exactly what each window is saying)

Michael
    Please. Also please describe exactly what you are doing to start the transfer.
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    One of them will always be PASV and the other active, don't worry about that.

I presumne therefore that you're seeing the messages in eachSmart FTP window about beginning the transfer?

Are you sure it's not actually working - you won't see any progress indication on the PC.
    Well that clears up one simple area re PASV

Specfically what happens is this I set up both connections to my 2 T60's. My file structures shows up quickly. I click on TMF for a listing of files -- I do this in both windows. I then drag a file from one window to the TMF folder in the other window.

Then I get "an established connection was aborted byt the software in your host machine" I will get this message whether I orginate the file TMF file transfer from one machine or the other.

On a side note if I try FTP Voyager -- I may get as far as a transfer status window opening up -- but then it closes and I see a message that says "internal connection to the source lost"

So in summary -- I can see into both TIVO's I can download a file to my PC but I cannot get a stable connection between the TIVO's

Michael

Typically, in an FXP transfer, the third party initiating the transfer between the other two, will get its connection dropped, and there will be no more updating. Although, the transfer continues on between the other two. You just are out of the loop by then. Go into the Now Playing on the inbound TiVo, and see if the show is reporting as recording.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Quote Originally Posted by SR712
    Typically, in an FXP transfer, the third party initiating the transfer between the other two, will get its connection dropped, and there will be no more updating. Although, the transfer continues on between the other two. You just are out of the loop by then. Go into the Now Playing on the inbound TiVo, and see if the show is reporting as recording.
    Thanks for the tip on how to check on transfers -- unfortunately my problem still remains -- Other suggestions about how to get a stable connection between the TIVO's?

Michael M

Thanks for the tip on how to check on transfers -- unfortunately my problem still remains -- Other suggestions about how to get a stable connection between the TIVO's?

Michael M
    To be completely clear - the transfer really does stop - nothing on the TiVo?

If you start the recieving TiVo's mfs_ftp in the foreground:

/var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 foreground

Then watch in that window when you do the drag-and-drop you should see what is happening. (Shut down mfs_ftp before closing the telnet window)
    Stuart

lessons learned

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    To be completely clear - the transfer really does stop - nothing on the TiVo?

If you start the recieving TiVo's mfs_ftp in the foreground:

/var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 foreground

Then watch in that window when you do the drag-and-drop you should see what is happening. (Shut down mfs_ftp before closing the telnet window)
    Well I continued to research this and after checking further found that my problem is/was the both my Tivo's had the same MAC address -- once I corrected this problem - the file would tranfer -- I could both see the progress on SmartFTP as well as see in the NowShowing list of the receiving TIVO that it was recording the new file --

though it should be noted that this recording file does not necessarily show up at the top of the list -- rather it is sorted by date and could be much lower in the NowShowing list.

Sanderton - thank you for taking time to respond to this -- I have learned serveral key things

1)what to more realistically expect in transfers
    2) several ways to check if and what is happening
    ++ looking at nowshowing list of receiving Tivo
    ++ running mfs_ftp in the foreground with the command mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 foreground

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrsturbo
    I am having a problem with stock 1.2.9p on a T60 running 3.1.0b with 246G full of stuff. If I run name detail 5 and ls in a dir will cause a "Dumping mempool" out of mem error. I am able to run it at 2 but anything above that causes this error. Could it be that the long filenames are exhausting some memory resource. It looks like its just one big string but that can't be right can it? It is dieing at build_rec_filenames when it does.
    Thanks
    A little follow up winds up you can only run detail 0 in the tmf dir. I think my 400 show now showing is exceeding mfs_ftps abilities.

known problem. tivosh can easily handle lists of 25,000 elements, but complex arrays (like I used for caching recording info) of a few hundred items can cause a reboot caching was re-worked in 1.3 to fix the problem but the updates broke rung & sanderton's patches

if you need to extract archives from a FULLY loaded tivo use new tivoweb extraction module with tivoweb plus rc4 or later

to insert to a fully loaded box change to name-detail 0 & don't go to subdirs (tmf, ty, xml, etc), just drop a tmf/ty+ into the root level dir

haven't installed those patches to see exactly where they break (been busy) so 1.3's delayed a bit
    Last edited by rc3105; 03-03-2004 at 01:40 AM.