Page 45 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

No, the difference between tivoapp noscrambled and module noscrambled is just the CSO (commercial skip offset) value. The patch makes it 0, the module preserves it. If you are going to watch a show (on tivo) recorded with the module then you need to nuke the keys (make it 0) to play.

EDIT: you can watch it in Windows Media player regardless of the method above. Also what's really nice is you can use the patch method with the "unscramble" module, meaning you can watch old encrypted shows + new shows without hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Setting your tivo to record unscrambled = Setting your tivo to record unscrambled.

You've installed the most recent and successful method to record unscrambled video. (for Series 2, 4.x machines at least)

If you can extract, and view, video it's unscrambled properly.

It seems that you have a TyTools setup/configuration/extraction issue. I'm not a TyTools expert but there are many who hang out in the Tytools thread. Here's a link to common questions.

Hope that helps .

NutKase
    Last edited by newbr; 10-08-2004 at 06:31 AM.

MFS_FTP wont start

Hi, I cant get mfs_ftp to run. It starts and then quits a couple seconds later. I am running a dtv s2.
    I untared mfs_ftp and the s2 files to /var/mfs_ftp no problem.

Here is what I see when I try to start mfs_ftp

tivo:/var/tmp$ cd ..
    tivo:/var$ cd mfs_ftp
    tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &
    [1] 486
    tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$
    [1]+ Done /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl
    tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$

it seems to start...then dies a second later.
    if i run ps right after running the tcl file i see mfs_running in the background

tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ ps
    PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    475 p0 S 0:00 /bin/bash -login
    486 p0 R 0:00 /tvbin/tivosh /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl 3105 backgrounded
    487 p0 R 0:00 ps

After the Done message pops up if I run ps or ps ax the mfs_ftp is gone.

I checked the mfs_ftp.log file in /var/logs and all it has is this
    02:52:15:AM - sourcing settings
    02:52:15:AM - sourcing p1
    10:52:21:PM - updating cached recording info

There is no port log file as I dont think mfs_ftp ever gets that far. I'm at a loss...any ideas? Is there some sort of way of making it generate a log at startup to troubleshoot issues?

Quote Originally Posted by lissm
    Hi, I cant get mfs_ftp to run.
    If you used Sleeper .iso to hack your tivo you probably need to kill the bogus (read: Illegally distributed, early version with bugs, mfs_ftp) from starting first.

Check your /etc/rc.d.rc.sysinit.author for a command line, that you didn't put there, which starts mfs_ftp.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 10-10-2004 at 12:21 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

ok, i think i've really read and searched enough and come up dry, so here goes.

i'm extracting from a hdvr2 on 3.1.1b. i've tried both tmf and ty+, but both have the same problem: upon re-insertion on different hdvr2s (i've tried units with 3.1.1c and 4.0), i've never once been able to get an insertion that works completely. i had my best one tonight; i inserted an hour long show that had two full parts (512mb) and a partial. when playing back, the screen momentarily pixellates, the time bar jumps about two minutes ahead and, of course, two minutes of video are "lost".

the glitch happens right at the start of the second part. other shows that i've put in lose either much more, or a whole part entirely. if i delete the recording and do another insert of the same show, the details of the problem will usually change (more or less video "lost") but it's never 100% correct.

both of the machines being used for insertion have "proper" stock installations of 1.2.9p. i can also use tytools on the tmf or ty+ and it processes perfectly. the log file for mfs_ftp just shows the parts being inserted with no errors.

any ideas? i hope i've accurately described the problem. thanks in advance,

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    If you used Sleeper .iso to hack your tivo you probably need to kill the bogus (read: Illegally distributed, early version with bugs, mfs_ftp) from starting first.

Check your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit for a command line, that you didn't put there, which starts mfs_ftp.

NutKase
    NutKase, thank you for the very quick response, but no gold.
    1. You are correct. I am using a sleeper'd system that I made back in March.
    2. I checked the rc.sysinit for references to mfs_ftp and there were none. there were several references to mfs_assert, mfs_cleanup and mfsadd, but I dont think these are related to the ftp in any way.
    3. In my rc.sysinit.author there was a line that launched mfs_ftp from /var/hack/mfs_ftp, but I had already changed that in my prior testing.
    I even deleted the mfs_ftp directory in /var/hack at a previous stage in testing.
    so if I do a find from the root for mfs_ftp.tcl, the one in /var/mfs_ftp is the only one that shows up.

my rc.sysinit.author looks like this which I think is right:
    #Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd
    cd /var/mfs_ftp
    /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &
    cd /

and rc.sysinit.author does have the 4 prerequisite lines listed in the s2 thread
    export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/busybox:/tvbin:.
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export IGNOREEOF=1000
    export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF

Thank you for your earlier help, I hope you've got something more in your bag of tricks for me to try.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lissm; 10-10-2004 at 11:47 AM.

2. I checked the rc.sysinit for references to mfs_ftp and there were none. there were several references to mfs_assert, mfs_cleanup and mfsadd, but I dont think these are related to the ftp in any way.
    Sorry, I meant .author - Post edited.

I've reread your posts. It seems to me that mfs_ftp is starting and backgrounding properly.

You didn't post any connection failures. Have you tried to connect with FTP (I recommend FlashFXP) to port 3105?

The port.3105.log is created WHEN you connect or attempt to connect, not before.

One thing, if you have a lot of recordings it takes mfs_ftp a while to cache the info... Don't give up if the connection seems hung, just wait. Also, you can do

tail -f /path/to/mfs_ftp/port.3105.log

to watch all the action.

Let us know.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 10-10-2004 at 12:32 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Get the latest version from the front of this thread - the one you have expired. If problems persist set debug level (dbl) to 5 and tail -f port3105.log in the /var/mfs_ftp directory as it loads.

NutKase, thank you for the very quick response, but no gold.
    1. You are correct. I am using a sleeper'd system that I made back in March.
    3. In my rc.sysinit.author there was a line that launched mfs_ftp from /var/hack/mfs_ftp, but I had already changed that in my prior testing.
    I even deleted the mfs_ftp directory in /var/hack at a previous stage in testing.
    so if I do a find from the root for mfs_ftp.tcl, the one in /var/mfs_ftp is the only one that shows up.
    <snip>
    Thank you for your earlier help, I hope you've got something more in your bag of tricks for me to try.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by newbr
    Get the latest version from the front of this thread - the one you have expired. If problems persist set debug level (dbl) to 5 and tail -f port3105.log in the /var/mfs_ftp directory as it loads.
    Geez...you gotta be kidding. This is really embarassing. I grabbed the old mfs_ftp.tar I was using uploading to my tivo and compared to the one on this thread and they were different. In fact, mine was several months newer than the one here, so I assumed I was running the newest version. As soon as I pulled the file from here and overwrote my directory, everything started. Sorry to have wasted your time NutKase and Newbr...thank you for the help.
    Now I cant seem to connect via ftp although telnet works fine on 3105. I have seen plenty of posts regarding that problem so time for me to get reading. thanks again for your time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yagey
    Getting this error? Fix below:

couldn't execute "/var/hack/mfs_ftp/tzoffset.tcl": no such file or directory
    while executing
    "exec $info(path)/tzoffset.tcl 2>/dev/null"
    (procedure "get_tzoffset" line 10)
    invoked from within
    "get_tzoffset"
    (file "/var/hack/mfs_ftp/p1.tcl" line 1134)
    invoked from within
    "source $info(path)/$file.tcl "
    (procedure "init_procs" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "init_procs"
    (file "/var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" line 1566)

The problem is that the tar file has been extracted in windows and then copied over to the tivo. This leaves ^M characters in the file (try 'joe tzoffset.tcl' and you will see all the ^M's).

The best way to fix this is to copy the tar file to your tivo and extract it there. Try:

extract the mfs_ftp[1].1.2.9m.tar.zip zip file onto your windows computer.
    ftp the mfs_ftp.tar file to your tivo /var/hack directory
    untar the file on your tivo with 'cpio -H tar -i < mfs_ftp.tar'
    'cd /var/hack/mfs_ftp'
    now check the 'joe tzoffset.tcl' and the nasty ^M's are gone.
    It's worth adding /var/hack/mfs_ftp to your path (in the .profile file) so that other utilities can use it (cipercheck etc)
    1) that's version m, which is out of date

2) the path should be /var/mfs_ftp, not /var/hack/mfs_ftp

looks like you're using a sleeper installed version - get the correct file(s) from the start of this thread & follow the install instructions

Apologies if this has already been covered (I searched repeatedly for this problem but didn't find anything, possibly because I'm not that bright):

I have a series 1 standalone TiVo, to which I added a cachecard and swapped in a 160 gig hard drive. When I first got it (early this year), I installed mfs_ftp and it worked great -- I was able to successfully transfer many large files without a hitch. However, last month the hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall everything. Now, nearly every time I transfer a file with mfs_ftp, the TiVo reboots. Usually right at the end of the transfer (99% finished), although sometimes after 500 megs.

I used the latest version of mfs_ftp from the beginning of this thread, and have downloaded and installed it several times to be sure I didn't get a bad transfer or make a mistake on the install. The mfs_ftp log file doesn't show any errors -- just the ftp transfer starting, and then nothing. If I don't download a file, mfs_ftp runs just fine for days. I don't have any other hacks installed -- just the cachecard drivers, tivobin utils, and terminfo/emacs (which didn't work either for some reason).

Does this ring any bells to anyone? I'd be grateful for any guesses or pointers on how to diagnose/troubleshoot.

Thanks!

set debug level (dbl) to 5 and post the log.

Quote Originally Posted by edraeger
    Apologies if this has already been covered (I searched repeatedly for this problem but didn't find anything, possibly because I'm not that bright):

I have a series 1 standalone TiVo, to which I added a cachecard and swapped in a 160 gig hard drive. When I first got it (early this year), I installed mfs_ftp and it worked great -- I was able to successfully transfer many large files without a hitch. However, last month the hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall everything. Now, nearly every time I transfer a file with mfs_ftp, the TiVo reboots. Usually right at the end of the transfer (99% finished), although sometimes after 500 megs.

I used the latest version of mfs_ftp from the beginning of this thread, and have downloaded and installed it several times to be sure I didn't get a bad transfer or make a mistake on the install. The mfs_ftp log file doesn't show any errors -- just the ftp transfer starting, and then nothing. If I don't download a file, mfs_ftp runs just fine for days. I don't have any other hacks installed -- just the cachecard drivers, tivobin utils, and terminfo/emacs (which didn't work either for some reason).

Does this ring any bells to anyone? I'd be grateful for any guesses or pointers on how to diagnose/troubleshoot.

Thanks!

mfs_ftp and show grouping

Just wanted to know if this has been fixed/addressed. I've read the mfs_ftp threads over the last couple of months, and noticed that this is an ongoing problems, but I wanted to know if this has been fixed by someone...

I am moving stuff from my S2 DTIVO to my S2 SA, and I would like folders grouping for each show...

Thanks for any replies.

been there, done that. might or might not release it

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    been there, done that. might or might not release it
    Any way I could 'contribute' to your cause, and get a version licensed to my units?

sure, if you're up for some beta-testing