Page 61 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 915 of 1477

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

  1. #901
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlWalters
    Just tried that and got

    SmartFTP v1.1.984.15
    Resolving host name 192.168.0.100...
    Connecting to (192.168.0.100) -> IP: 192.168.0.100 PORT: 3105
    Connected to (192.168.0.100) -> Time = 1312ms
    Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
    220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock30} from "192.168.0.2:3388"
    USER anonymous
    331 User name okay, need password.
    PASS (hidden)
    230 Running in TiVo Mode.
    SYST
    215 UNIX
    TYPE I
    200 Type set to I
    REST 0
    350 Restart okay, awaiting file request.
    PWD
    257 "/" is current directory.
    Compression disabled for private IP addresses.
    PASV
    Connection closed.


    What is the mfs_ftp log saying while that happens? Set the debug level high so you see the full detail.

    You mentioned Zone Alarm - try disabling that.
    Stuart

    Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

  2. #902
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    mfs_ftp 1.2.9Q - where do I get it from??

    I have hunted high and low and cannot find 1.2.9Q as recommended by Sanderton for running two tivo's... all the forum links point to 1.2.9P

    Can you please advise as to where to get this version from?

    Cheers

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    I am having some trouble with MFS_FTP. When I transfer a 30 minute show, I only get about 25 to 27 minutes..When I do a 60 minute show I only get 35 to 40 minutes.

    I am sure I made some bonehead newbie mistake, but can anyone help me out?

  4. #904
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by dave868
    I am having some trouble with MFS_FTP. When I transfer a 30 minute show, I only get about 25 to 27 minutes..When I do a 60 minute show I only get 35 to 40 minutes.

    I am sure I made some bonehead newbie mistake, but can anyone help me out?
    There are buggy versions of the mfs_export program that write a debugging message into the extracted show at the 512MB mark. This may be your problem. Search for a patched version of the program.

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by dave868
    I am having some trouble with MFS_FTP. When I transfer a 30 minute show, I only get about 25 to 27 minutes..When I do a 60 minute show I only get 35 to 40 minutes.

    I am sure I made some bonehead newbie mistake, but can anyone help me out?
    One question. Are you stopping the transfer manually when the Bytes transferred equals the filesize listed, or do you let it go until the window goes away by itself? Reason I ask, is that on my system, the file size reported in the SmartFTP window is often NOT the correct file size. Ie say I have a 5 GB file, when I run SmartFTP, it often will be listed as say 3 GB, and when I did the transfer, I'd often be watching the progress, and when it got up to 100%, with transferred bytes equal to filesize, I would wait a minute, get impatient, then stop the transfer manually, only to find that I only had about 2/3 of the filed downloaded. Since I figured that out, I first make sure of the filesize before doing the transfer, then I just let it keep going, even though it says 100%. What happens, is that the bytes transferred keeps increasing, as does the filesize, and eventually the whole file gets transferred.
    For some reason, the above strange behavior doesn't happen all the time. This may not be related to your problem, but you might check to see if the bytes transferred continues to grow after the transfer gets to 100%.

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by wejones
    One question. Are you stopping the transfer manually when the Bytes transferred equals the filesize listed, or do you let it go until the window goes away by itself? Reason I ask, is that on my system, the file size reported in the SmartFTP window is often NOT the correct file size. Ie say I have a 5 GB file, when I run SmartFTP, it often will be listed as say 3 GB, and when I did the transfer, I'd often be watching the progress, and when it got up to 100%, with transferred bytes equal to filesize, I would wait a minute, get impatient, then stop the transfer manually, only to find that I only had about 2/3 of the filed downloaded. Since I figured that out, I first make sure of the filesize before doing the transfer, then I just let it keep going, even though it says 100%. What happens, is that the bytes transferred keeps increasing, as does the filesize, and eventually the whole file gets transferred.
    For some reason, the above strange behavior doesn't happen all the time. This may not be related to your problem, but you might check to see if the bytes transferred continues to grow after the transfer gets to 100%.
    I am using WS_FTP... The reported size equals the downloaded size... the reported size seems to be low... even 60 minute shows are less than one gig. Maybe it's a client problem? Do you have a recommendation?

  7. #907
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by dave868
    I am using WS_FTP... The reported size equals the downloaded size... the reported size seems to be low... even 60 minute shows are less than one gig. Maybe it's a client problem? Do you have a recommendation?
    I have used WS_FTP too, but I can't remember if it gave the same problem. I'll have to check.
    However it does sound like you might have the same symptom I had. It may well be that with WS_FTP that the transfer doesn't continue, so you might try the SmartFTP. But in any event, check the filesize with TIVOWEB or something. I just checked a 1 hour recording on my series 1 SA running ver 3.0 , and it was something like 1.44 GB. So it does sound like it is a problem of the MFS_FTP server not giving the proper filesize to the client. As I said, with SmartFTP, the transfer will continue and works fine, even when it is reported wrong.
    BTW, I'm using ver "1.2.8g" on one machine and "1.2.9p" on my other TIVO, as reported in the mfs_ftp.tcl header, however I'm not sure which of the two machines was giving me the referenced problem. I "THINK" it was the one with 1.2.8g on it. I'm also not sure which version firmware I was using at the time of the problems, because I had version 3.0 on it, then switched back to ver 2.5.1, then switched back to 3.0. If I get a chance, I'll try a transfer or two today and see if it still does that, and I'll try WS_FTP too.

    EDIT: UPDATE
    I checked 4 files with TIVOWEB,SMARTFTP, and WSF_FTP
    File TIVOWEB SMARTFTP WSFTP
    1 744MB 744MB 780,140,544
    2 7168MB 3.0GB 3,221,225,472
    3 1440MB 1.4GB 1,493,172,224
    4 5520MB 1.39GB 1,493,172,224

    The TIVOWEB size is the actual file size, but you see that the 2 FTP clients see smaller sizes, depending on size, although there are some interesting trends. File 1 is a half hour, file 3 is a 1 hour, and the other two are longer, closer to 3 or 3.5 hours. All are in highest quality.
    I just tried a transfer with WFS_FTP on file 4. It got up to 100, and then kept going. Last I checked it was up to 102% and still going. So I'm guessing that at least the version of WFS_FTP I'm using continues just like SmartFTP does. I think I'm using ver 4.01 of WFS_FTP.
    So I'd suggest watching what happens when it gets to 100%, and see if it is actually still running.

    EDIT 2 : UPDATE 2

    Well, I checked back a little later, and WFS_FTP status was back on 0% !?!?
    However it was still cranking along re byte numbers, so I left it running. After quite a length of time on 0%, it finally started counting up in % again, approximately when it was up in the high 3.x GB range. It kept cranking along, but the numbers at the bottom were meaningless. I could see what the progress was by watching the file size in Windows Explorer, although I had to go out of the directory and back in each time to get the size to update.
    Finally, it got to 100%, and the entire file was transferred.
    So strange things happen with WFS_FTP,however for me at least, it worked.
    The experiments today were with my version 3.01 TIVO, which is not subscribed, but also not hacked, other than having upgraded the hard disk, putting TIVONET hardware in, and installing TIVOWEB and MFS_FTP.
    Last edited by wejones; 05-20-2005 at 11:52 AM.

  8. #908
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Gurnee, IL
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by dave868
    the reported size seems to be low... even 60 minute shows are less than one gig.
    Is this unusual? One hour shows are nearly always less than a gig for me on my DTivo.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Is this unusual? One hour shows are nearly always less than a gig for me on my DTivo.
    Interesting. I'm not sure what kind of TIVO the other fellow has, but I'm not using a DTivo, I just have a SA. I know that the formats used in the DTivo are different than for the SA, because I was tempted at one time to change the SA format to make burning to DVD easier, but I was under the impression that the DTivo format used more space not less space. At least I seem to remember that was the reason I didn't change the settings. Are you recording in the highest quality??
    Hopefully someone can refresh my memory about the DTivo vs SA settings and memory usage, and how you make the changes, because now I'm tempted to play around with these settings again. Not for ease of burning DVDs, but to make the resulting .TY files more compatable with other equipment I'm using. Ie I have a Roku HD1000, and I can stream mpg files over the network to it to be displayed on TV. I can also stream .ty files downloaded from the TIVO, but they seem to result in video with glitches, making me think that the Roku isn't quite compatable with the format that the .ty files are saved in. I was thinking that the format used by the DTivo might be acceptable to the Roku. Right now, I have to convert .ty files to .mpg via TyStudio so I can stream them to the Roku, and that takes a lot of time.

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Gurnee, IL
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by wejones
    Interesting. I'm not sure what kind of TIVO the other fellow has, but I'm not using a DTivo, I just have a SA. I know that the formats used in the DTivo are different than for the SA, because I was tempted at one time to change the SA format to make burning to DVD easier, but I was under the impression that the DTivo format used more space not less space. At least I seem to remember that was the reason I didn't change the settings. Are you recording in the highest quality??
    DirecTivos don't have adjustable settings, because they don't actually do any MPEG encoding. The streams come down from the bird already MPEG encoded, so the DTivo just stores it (which is why we can have dual tuners).
    I was thinking that the format used by the DTivo might be acceptable to the Roku. Right now, I have to convert .ty files to .mpg via TyStudio so I can stream them to the Roku, and that takes a lot of time.
    .ty as a format isn't any different. The actual video can be -- and I'd bet you'd have the same issues with the Roku.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

  11. #911
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    .ty as a format isn't any different. The actual video can be -- and I'd bet you'd have the same issues with the Roku.
    I was under the impression that the horizontal/vertical dimensions of the images are different re SA vs DTivo? I know there is something strange about the SA files because they come out square in some viewers, instead of 4x3. Whereas I thought that the DTivo files had more normal dimensions. I thought that the DTivo files were more compatable with respect to being burned onto DVD without significant transcoding. It's been a couple years since I've tried burning, but I remember having to change the headers of the resulting mpg files to fool the software, something which was not supposed to be necessary with the files that came from DTivo.
    I'm suffering from a loss of memory here, and hope someone can set me straight re to the differences.

  12. #912
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by wejones
    I was under the impression that the horizontal/vertical dimensions of the images are different re SA vs DTivo? I know there is something strange about the SA files because they come out square in some viewers, instead of 4x3. Whereas I thought that the DTivo files had more normal dimensions. I thought that the DTivo files were more compatable with respect to being burned onto DVD without significant transcoding. It's been a couple years since I've tried burning, but I remember having to change the headers of the resulting mpg files to fool the software, something which was not supposed to be necessary with the files that came from DTivo.
    I'm suffering from a loss of memory here, and hope someone can set me straight re to the differences.
    I have a DTIVO and as far as I know the only difference is that the DTIVO just stores the mpg stream from the sat. I have not had a chance to try smartftp yet, but I will as soon as I can and let you know.

    Thanks for your help so far.

  13. #913
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Gurnee, IL
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by wejones
    I was under the impression that the horizontal/vertical dimensions of the images are different re SA vs DTivo? I know there is something strange about the SA files because they come out square in some viewers, instead of 4x3. Whereas I thought that the DTivo files had more normal dimensions.
    Well yes, that's what I meant when I said that .ty as a format isn't different but the actual video can be.

    DTivo files are 480x480. That will look square on a PC w/an unintelligent media player (coughcoughcoughWMPcoughcoughcough). SA Tivo files, I imagine, vary depending on the quality settings, but I have no direct experience with them.

    I haven't done much DVD burning. .ty files play OK using XBMC, but I have interlacing issues. Converting does take a lot of time, but you can batch it. Or even look at EtiVo, which can do everything automagically. You'd have to do some scripting work to get it to just mpg the file, as by default EtiVo re-encodes to WMV, but...

    I played around a bit with some batch files to extract, mplex, and move to a server directory, but haven't had much time to go any further with it, and anyway I like editing commercials out.

    --chris
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

  14. #914
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Is this unusual? One hour shows are nearly always less than a gig for me on my DTivo.

    I just used smartftp instead of wsftp to transfer a 1 hour program. File size was reported as 1.2 transfered 1.2 gig... yet when i play it i only get a little more that 30 minutes.

    I am doing something wrong, but I am at a loss.

  15. #915
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by dave868
    I just used smartftp instead of wsftp to transfer a 1 hour program. File size was reported as 1.2 transfered 1.2 gig... yet when i play it i only get a little more that 30 minutes.

    I am doing something wrong, but I am at a loss.
    I'm curious how you are playing it back, when you say you got 30 min? Are you playing it on the PC or sending it back to the TIVO to play??
    Reason I ask, is that I just observed some similar behavior. I had a TMF file that I downloaded with mfs_ftp, and converted to .ty. This file is an NFL football game. Before I converted the tmf to ty, I copied it, and it took a LONG time to copy. The progress bar moved across to 100% in a normal amount of time, then stayed there, and the time till completion went up to something like 181,000 minutes! After a few minutes like this, the progress went to 0%, then the progress bar went across to 100%, and the copy was complete. Weird, but just like what happened when I downloaded this from the TIVO. After I converted it to a .ty, I played the file with VLC. It was playing OK, but I pulled the slide bar to make sure that it made it to the end of the game.
    Interestingly, I could only pull it to the end of the 1st quarter. Ie it looked like I only had about 30 or 40 minutes of the recording. However, I put the thing in fast forward, and it kept going, ie the progress bar wasn't indicative of the true progress into the file. Ie the whole game was there, but by pulling the slide bar, it only looked like I had about 1/4th of the game.
    This is really weird, and it sounds somewhat similar to what you were experiencing. I don't know if it is something to do with the length of the program or what. I've previously downloaded 1 to 2 hour programs, and didn't have a problem, however the football game was about a 3 1/2 hour long recording. This is also one of the first times I've tried playing back the .ty file directly. Previously, I've either uploaded such files back to the TIVO, or converted them into an mpg file.
    Anyway, this is all very strange, and I don't have an explanation, but it seems related to what you were seeing, so I thought I'd post my observations.
    So again, I'm curious how you were playing the file to only see 1/2 hour, and did it stop on it's own or did you try jumping to the end?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •