Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings

Is there a quality difference using mfs_ftp over tyserver? Or is a ty is a ty is a ty is a ty?

quality wise a ty is a ty is a ty, however, tyserver / tystudio's sole purpose is conversion to mpg. it doesn't extract the header chunk for each fsid part (indexing info) or the xml. tyserver tyfiles can't be reinserted w/o a LOT of hassle

--
    Riley

CLI ftp/fxp client for linux

I found a CLI ftp/fxp client for linux here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/quftp/

has anyone been able to get this one to work? I'm still trying to use the man page but there are no examples using fxp.

Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
    Does anyone know of any different settings to get smartftp/fxp to work? I'm trying to transfer between TIVOS and he last thing that happens is the message "ABOUT TO OPEN DATA CONNECTION" shows on the sending Tivo's window. After that, smartftp just hangs waiting and nothing is ever transfered. nI also have to restart the tivo's to get mfs_ftp to work aain.
    I am bewildered. I left it running in hopes that it was actually working even though it gave no transfer statistics. It turns out that it was working because the recordin was transfererd. However, now it works completely as expected. It shows th stats as it copies.

smart-ftp's funny that way, sometimes it can evesdrop on fxp transfers & sometimes it can't. once the transfer is initiated the tivos will complete it automatically. you can close the fxp client, shutdown the pc, makes no difference

--
    Riley
    Last edited by rc3105; 09-25-2003 at 07:31 PM.

Originally posted by Stephen
    Suggestion dont just copy the files over my unit is now stuck in a green screen loop.... Oh well I guess it was time to upgradde to 3.1 anyways
    K here is the deal I had upgraded to 3.1 with no real luck so I decided to start from scratch again... I started back with surgons 2.5 image from a bootable CD rom.. did the Serail port upgrade to xupgrade back to 2.5 and reinstalled what hacks I wanted. with the SAME equpiment and the SAME route that I have taken before I am now getting about 350k upload speeds... for those of you that are getting crappy upload speeds. think of it this way.. Just like a windows box needs to be rebuilt after (what 2 weeks of playing with it) your Tivo sometimes might need to be rebuilt... Take a hour or 2 and do it. I had done so many things to my box Im sure I had screwed it up somewheres. By redoing the box I proved my point that I had and didnt know it!!

Deleting Files w/ MFS_FTP

It's been my experience that deleting either a .tmf, .ty, or .ty+ will all result in the show getting deleted.

MFS_FTP is really just giving you a "3 or 4 virtual" representations of the same ONE show.

When you choose a specifc format to extract, MFS_FTP takes the native show and "wraps" it up the way you've requested.

4096 limt?

Has anyone else encountered a 4GB limit on dowloadable tmf recordings ? I got a recording that is a 3 hour movie at high quality. it shows up as 116MB on the file listing from mfs_ftp. The transfer dies with a timeout at 4095MB. My guess is that the actual recording is 4096+116MB in size. I tried the 'a' and the newest 'f' version.

BTW, I know watcha thinkin but the destination file is going to an NTFS filesystem.

Re: 4096 limt?

BTW, I know watcha thinkin but the destination file is going to an NTFS filesystem. [/B]
    Duh, ME AM ST00PID.. Drive C was NTFS but.. ah... not drive D:... the uh... destination drive, that is... heh.. nevermind.

<excuses>
    But it does show up as 116MB on the file listing... I guess that kinda threw me off.
    </excuses>

Tivoweb does not like mfs_ftp inserted recordings

It seems that recordings that I insert with mfs_ftp seem to make tivoweb 1.9.4 barf. I can view recordings that were recorded on the tivo in the 'now playing' list of tivoweb but selecting mfs_ftp inserted entries results in this error:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
    --cut here--
    action_series '/' ''
    expected integer but got ""
    while executing
    "db $db openid $objectid"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set series [db $db openid $objectid]
    set title [strim [dbobj $series get Title]]
    set score [dbobj $series get ThumbData]
    se..."
    (procedure "::action_series" line 15)
    invoked from within
    "::action_$action $chan $part $env"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
    "eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
    --cut here--

the xml from an inserted tmf is cached in /var/mfs_ftp/cache/ not all attributes are restored to mfs. some tivoweb modules expect those "missing" attributes & barf when they're not found
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-10-2003 at 05:42 AM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

type-o while adding to bootpage

Hello,
    Can anyone out there help me with a quick question. About 30 mins ago I was switching off the ideturbo proc on each of my S/A tivo's. During the 2nd tivo edit I accidentally typed in:

bootpage -P "roo=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false" /dev/hda

instead of:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false" /dev/hda

notice the type-o in that I left out the "t" in root

my question is, how harmful might this be if I reboot the tivo (my guess is not harmful) and is there a way to remove that line from the bootpage, I have seen no way in any of the threads for removing from the bootpage, just adding to it.

thanks for your help!
    John

p.s. these threads are awesome, over the past 5 days, Ive upgraded a 14 hr philips tivo to a 160 gig capacity (no subscription) installed mecessary binaries and scripts onto the 160 gig and my fiancee's sub'd Philips S/A 20 gigA+120 gigB Tivo installed mfs_ftp onto both tivos and already transferred 10 gigs of programming from her tivo to mine! great threads, keep up the good discussions

when you issue that command it overwrites the old bootpage parms with the new ones. just re-issue the command with the correct syntax. w/o a correct root statement it probably won't reboot at all
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-10-2003 at 05:44 AM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Re: type-o while adding to bootpage

Originally posted by jjk999
    my question is, how harmful might this be if I reboot the tivo
    Ummm, well, you remember the blackout that hit the east coast last week?

Some guy did exactly what you did -- mistyped a parameter in their TiVo bash-- and poof, down went the power grid.

Where do you live -- I may just buy a generator...

Originally posted by rc3105
    the xml from an inserted tmf is cached in /var/mfs_ftp/cache/ not all attributes are restored to mfs. some tivoweb modules expect those "missing" attributes & barf when they're not found
    I've been meaning to ask about this...WHY doesn't mfs_ftp retain/restore all the data? Even the original air date is missing upon insertion (one of the most important pieces of data - it's even in the PC filename!). This doesn't seem like it would be difficult...maybe in some future version a config file could allow us to choose what attributes are important?

And on a related note, why are all inserted programs showing marked as best quality, even if they aren't? It seems to be screwing up the space allocation routines ("Save Until..." doesn't work right with inserted shows present - you can't save shows longer even if there is plenty of space available and little or nothing upcoming). It's like the Tivo thinks inserted shows are bigger than they really are.

Bob