Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tivo and the Xbox

Tivo and the Xbox

Has anybody sucessfully burned a DVD that can play in the Xbox? It can play DVD's with the playback kit. I have a 120gb HD in mine and have also seen an Xbox media player that can play files from DVD or HD in various formats including VCD.

Since the Xbox has a broadband connector, I'll bet you could even stream video to it with the right tools.
    Anybody messed with this yet?
    Im gettin a burner next week.

I know someone who burns to dvd+r and plays it in his xbox.

tivo->dvd->xbox

I am a relative newbie, but I just got to the point where I extract off my SA Phillips using tytool6, cut out commercials using gopeditor, assemble using tytool6, burn DVD using Ulead DVD Workshop and a Sony 500UA, to play on the xbox. Easy and got the process down to maybe a half hour. This forum helped me set this all up in the last week! Thanks to all the brains around here!

Hey - A good friend of mine [Lord_Oberon] stumbled across something interesting while burning DVD's with Nero 5.5.10 -- when you burn the DVD select "UDF" format -- under one of the tabs select "Force X-Box Compatibility" -- this makes all disks you make readable NO ONLY in the X-Box - BUT IN EVERY SET TOP PLAYER WE HAVE TRIED to DATE!

I'll try to get more info on this, but I have seen it work and it made a dvd that plays in my G3 Firewire, which has one of the most bitchy drives on the planet!

Originally posted by Neutronflux
    Hey - A good friend of mine [Lord_Oberon] stumbled across something interesting while burning DVD's with Nero 5.5.10 -- when you burn the DVD select "UDF" format -- under one of the tabs select "Force X-Box Compatibility" -- this makes all disks you make readable NO ONLY in the X-Box - BUT IN EVERY SET TOP PLAYER WE HAVE TRIED to DATE!

I'll try to get more info on this, but I have seen it work and it made a dvd that plays in my G3 Firewire, which has one of the most bitchy drives on the planet!
    Yup... i do the same... and they play in my Xbox and my PS2

Both X-box and PS2 game consoles can play DVD recordable discs. Check out some of the modchip sites and forums for info on backing up games and the correct media to use. They seem to be pretty finicky about the recordable discs used for backing up games but are more forgiving for movies. I use Princo DVD-R and -RW discs for recording movies and they play back fine in my son's PS2 but they totally suck for game backups. You need high quality media for that purpose (e.g. Verbatim, Pioneer, or other quality discs).
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
    Yup... i do the same... and they play in my Xbox and my PS2
    Which mod chip are you using? Do you use XMP or just the DVD remote package to play DVD-Rs?

I bought one a few weeks ago and was ready to get an Xecuter 2 modchip but had decided to take it back because it seemed the only X-Boxers here are all doing DivX or streaming and didn't know if our discs would work. I was ready to give up, not wanting X-Box if it couldn't play the Dtivo DVDs.

I just want to use my collection of TyTooled/Vsplit'd/Mastro'd/Nero'd DVD-Rs on it as a second DVD player and I want to have a little modding fun with it.

What media are you using? I'm using the Supermediastore stuff (white label, spindles of 90) and everyone says it works okay. Supposedly, it's a generic Princo media. I've read from other sources that it works fine for X-Box game backups too.

More info about X-Box modding and DTivo discs please.

Originally posted by rd001
    Which mod chip are you using? Do you use XMP or just the DVD remote package to play DVD-Rs?

I bought one a few weeks ago and was ready to get an Xecuter 2 modchip but had decided to take it back because it seemed the only X-Boxers here are all doing DivX or streaming and didn't know if our discs would work. I was ready to give up, not wanting X-Box if it couldn't play the Dtivo DVDs.

I just want to use my collection of TyTooled/Vsplit'd/Mastro'd/Nero'd DVD-Rs on it as a second DVD player and I want to have a little modding fun with it.

What media are you using? I'm using the Supermediastore stuff (white label, spindles of 90) and everyone says it works okay. Supposedly, it's a generic Princo media. I've read from other sources that it works fine for X-Box game backups too.

More info about X-Box modding and DTivo discs please.
    I use a LPC Cheapmod. But i use the X-Ecuter bios on it so it is
    basically the same as an X-Ecuter 2. To play DVDs, i use DVD-X v2.0. It works great. Once you find the right media for your X-Box...

X-boxes, especially the older ones with the Thompson drive just don't usually like Princo. But i found that Ritek works in all X-Boxes
    i have modded for my friends to date. Some new, some old.

-Pr.

Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
    X-boxes, especially the older ones with the Thompson drive just don't usually like Princo. But i found that Ritek works in all X-Boxes
    i have modded for my friends to date. Some new, some old.
    Any way to tell which drive you have without opening the X-Box case, like by the serial number? Mine just came from Walmart so I assumed it's the newer unit. I'm wary about the DVD replacement drive option because of possible compatibility problems with games.

Originally posted by rd001
    Any way to tell which drive you have without opening the X-Box case, like by the serial number? Mine just came from Walmart so I assumed it's the newer unit. I'm wary about the DVD replacement drive option because of possible compatibility problems with games.
    Usually the ones manufactured after November 2002 have the
    good drives in. If you try a Princo and it works flawlessly, then
    cances are, it will work with all your media.

Either way, it doesn't really matter... Cause once you find the right
    cheap media for your particular X-Box, just stick to it.

-Pr.

Pr.,
    Thx for the tips. I saw that check box in Nero too. So far I haven't burned a thing. Im getting a pioA05 on Monday, This weekend I'm trying to gather up the tools I need.
    So far I have successfully used tytool6r1 to get .ty feal, GOPedit out the commercials, and remux w/tytool into a single file without commercials. It plays on media player fine.

I'm not clear on the next step.
    Seems like I have to use some kind of DVD authoring SW to produce a file that can be burned with Nero?
    What if show is in multiple parts do they need to be recombined? Does the Authoring SW take care of it?

Have you ever heard of Opto-Disk dvd-r?
    Last edited by Tiros; 02-22-2003 at 10:42 PM.

As someone mentioned, you can stream the data extracted from your tivo directly to your xbox using smb shares, or the xbox-specific "xns" protocol. There was someone suggesting direct playback of .ty streams on the xbox via XBMP (Xbox Media Player), but this really isnt necessary. It plays files muxed-on-the-fly .m2v files perfectly as is. I hadnt touched the tivo vid extraction tools since the "old days" (netscape mime-settings to launch app, I dont remember it all), but with the Tivo Client Alpha #6 Release 1, this all works perfectly with or without xbox.

As for playing off of an optical disc (I dont have a dvd burner, or cdrw for that matter) I have not tested such things. XBMP supports both iso9660 mode 1 and 2 discs, as well as UDF format discs. VCD/SVCDs play, as well as DVDs burned. XBMP also can play "real" dvds by launching a VOB or IFO file directly (dvd menu support isnt in yet). So, in essense, it should play anything you throw at it.

--falz

Originally posted by Tiros

I'm not clear on the next step.
    Seems like I have to use some kind of DVD authoring SW to produce a file that can be burned with Nero?
    What if show is in multiple parts do they need to be recombined? Does the Authoring SW take care of it?

Have you ever heard of Opto-Disk dvd-r?
    Check this thread for the next step.

I heard of Opto-Disk but never tried them myself. I like
    Ritek personally for DVD-R, Pioneer for DVD-RW, Verbatim and
    Sony for DVD+RW (Yes i do have a Sony DRU-500A that supports
    all the DVD formats except DVD-RAM)

-Pr.

Tivo->DIVX->Xbox

I have this working now. Extract from tivo to PC, encode to DIVX, SMB share to XBMP.

XBMP is still buggy and like to freeze/hang while playing a long movie over SMB. I'm sure that's only an update away from being fixed.

It looks and sounds great.

Someday I hope to have a way to automate the process under linux or windows using perl to tie the necessary commands together.

Now, all I need is a good Terabyte of Lan storage and an XBox in every room with a TV.

FYI - There is a bug in XBMP involving files over 2gb in size. This is going to be resolved in later versions.

I've been archiving Tivo MPEGs and watching them via XBMP 2.3. However I get horizontal lines during any scenes involving fast motion. If I convert to DivX, they go away. I suspect this is some interlacing issue.

Anyone else see this same problem?

--ID_Man