Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: xPlusz command explanations

Hybrid View

Exclamation xPlusz command explanations

Where can i get explanations about xPlusz commands what exactly is TivoTittle and whats it do? Mvchannels?.....my guide seems to be slow, when i open it at first the shows pop in one at a time like its loading them straight from thr stream...i thought the tivo has a 14 day guide into its HD?

The xPlusz commands are documented in the xPlusz README file http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...threadid=18394

Search the forum for info on tivotitle and mvchannels.

Some more here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...9110#post79110
    Last edited by superzap; 03-03-2003 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks Superzap

I want to start by thanking Superzap and all others for their hard work.

I agree with Dgthorse. Eventhough the xplusz readme file describes all of the commands, I think that a short explanation of what each command does (hack) would be helpful for us non-geniuses newbies.

The hacks included in xplusz I have figured out (I think) so far are the following:

- NOPPV = Allows to record future ppv events.
    - ADDLOCS = Activate local channels available in your spotbeam.
    - NOPHONE = Allows receiver to work without dialing home.
    - T30SS = Allows to skip video in 30 seconds intervals.
    - CALLER ID= Activates telephone caller id function.
    - NOSDD = Prevents unwanted software updates coming from the satellite stream.
    - TEMPMON = Monitors the receiver's temperature.
    - OPTOUT = Prevent upload viewing habits when phone line is plugged in.

I still need to figure out:

- FIXDEMO
    - TIVOTITLE
    - EBD
    - FREEPAGES
    - MFSSTREAM
    - TELNET
    - READONLY
    - TIVOWEB
    - TIVOFTPD
    - NOSCRAMBLE
    - SMBFS
    - NFS

Can anybody help me fill in the blanks?

Thanks for any help.

I still need to figure out:

- FIXDEMO
    - TIVOTITLE
    - EBD
    Well, I'll take these four:
    - FIXDEMO = If you get a message that interrupts live TV a lot, saying "A tour of Tivo Central". You need to use this to fix it.
    - TIVOTITLE = Listings in "Now showing" will have a more detailed description (including episode details). For example Instead of just saying "Friends", the listing will say "Friends:The one with the smelly baby" or something like that.
    - EBD = Enables backdoors. The old way of doing this was with a code in 'search by title' with the remote. You can change some backdoor settings, like making the tivo jump back a little less when hitting play after fast forwarding, stuff like that.
    - CRON = I don't know much about cron, but from what I gather, it enables you to run hacks at various intervals throughout the day, while using minimal reasources. For example, you can run the noppv hack every 4 hours, if you want?

there you go now not only do i know the command but i know what the commands actually do ....if there are any more please post.

- TIVOWEB - Starts a webserver on your Tivo that permits you to manipulate your Tivo through an internet browser.

- MFSSTREAM - Starts a server that permits you to download your recorded programs to another computer from TIVOWEB

- TELNET - Telnet is a terminal program that lets you 'login' to your tivo and get a bash (command line) prompt. From the command line you can start programs, edit files, change permissions ect.. This command starts a telnet server on your tivo.

- TIVOFTPD - FTP is File Transfer Protocol. This is a server that you can start on your tivo. This program allows you to 'ftp' in to your tivo and move files to and from your tivo.

- NOSCRAMBLE - Your DTivo records programs scrambled. Scrambled programs are useless if you want to offload them to a computer. Noscramble disables the scrambling.

Hi All... I think I have everything figured out except the following three...

Can anyone give a short explanation on these?

- FREEPAGES
    - READONLY
    - SMBFS

BTW: Fantastic site! And 2.5.2 is great!

SMBFS = Samba file system support. Samba is a name for "windows for workgroups" (aka windows file sharing) software on *nix.

Thanks!

Anyone else on the other two?

I thought READONLY when enabled would set read-only access during a reboot, such as the command: mount -o remount,ro /

Ok. I liked the idea of this thread... so I figured why not revive it...

My question is about cron. How's about a little explanation on how to use it instead of just what it does!

Many thanx

Yeah that would be great! I understand that cron is a scheduler for processes but what processes would need to be scheduled to run on Tivo??

CRON is a program to run things at Chronologial time. That is you can scedule prorams to run on a regular scedule (like remove the ppv flags once a day at 5AM, rotate out the logs, check for updates, etc). It was ported to Tivo becase so many authors wrote scripts that ran constantly, sleeping untill some interval.

To clear up what was said about SMBFS, it stands for Server Message Block File System. Contrary to popular belief Microsoft did not invent SMB nor CIFS. If you really care it was invented by IBM and published as a protocal (NetBIOS) in 1984. Samba is SMB for Unix written by Andrew Tridgel, et al. (he should be familiar to most of you http://tivo.samba.org)

Thanx but I know ~WHAT~ it does....

I wanted to know ~HOW~ to use it. How do I tell it to run this script at 8am...that one at 11pm... and so on....

CheeseMan316

http://web-design.net/servers/extens...crontab.5.html

The crontab file that is used on the xupgrade is in /hack/etc directory which is different than the standard install where it is in /var/hack/etc/. And remember that the time on a tivo that cron uses is gmt time so you have to adjust for your timezone.
    Last edited by superzap; 04-26-2003 at 02:45 PM.