Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: two card monte with the kernel? A new possibility for hacking the HDVR2 w/o prom mods

Re: u5 image

Originally posted by TomW
    RonnyThunder:
    Yes, I have no problem understanding the sequence of events and mounting drives and transfering files. I have to use the U5 image because that is all I have access to and am not in a place where I can plug in the phone to upgrade.

Oh, one additional question: Because I am using the original drive, from the mfsrestore command line, I have removed the "-s 127" and the "x" from -xzpi. could someone confirm that this is the correct way to do this. ( I don't have access to the man command)
    tomw, do you have high speed internet access? we can get you a 3.1.0 backup if you need it. hypothetically, of course

yes, you are correct about removing the -s 127 arg. look at my posts earlier in this thread; i detailed my changes to the procedure to do the same thing you're doing.

ronny

ronnythunder,
    i actually restored the image to a drive, once i did that i found the root partition and FS partition and extracted those to the fat32 drive, is this what you were asking if i did?

..............man i miss my BASH

3.10 image

RonnyThunder:
    Yes, I have Highspeed internet
    and I will PM you my ICQ number if that will help!

Originally posted by pitt30
    ronnythunder,
    i actually restored the image to a drive, once i did that i found the root partition and FS partition and extracted those to the fat32 drive, is this what you were asking if i did?
    yes, and it sounds like you got it. perhaps there's a problem at some other step? check your bash_env statement to make sure you don't have the same problem that onyx00 had!

ronny

well i looked at what you asked me to and yes, i am using ` not '.

however issuing the boot page commang i get

root=/dev/hda4 BASH_ENV=`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda16\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/runmonte'root=/dev/hda4

not
    BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda16\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/runmonte'

as onyx does.
    what concerns me is this is like this before i even put the drive back into tivo.its taling out the begining and end \'s. do i need to be concerned about this????

starting over now, so ill keep checking back
    thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

Figured it out!

I figured out where I made my mistake! Being a linux dummy and trying to follow the directions to the letter that were posted, I had put a <CR> in step 32 after "root=/dev/hda4"
    Now I have bash and can get busy with rest of it if I can get my hands on a 3.1.0 backup file!
    Thanks for the help!

Re: u5 image

Originally posted by TomW

NutKase:
    I'm sure my serial setup is fine as it works well on my T60. I understand that logging would definately help but I don't know which file to add the bash and console scripting to. I gather I could cat the log file to the /var partition (hda8) so that it wouldn't get overwritten.
    36) What's hacking without a bash prompt
    cat>>/mnt/tivo/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
    /bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

end the above by typing 'ctrl-D'
    ----------------------------------
    The above assumes /mnt/tivo is your killinitrd'd newest image not the old hacked U5 image.

You should also edit your bootpage command to include dsscon=true as follows

/cdrom/bootpage-P"root=/dev/hda7dsscon=trueBASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda16\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/runmonte\`"-C/dev/hdc

All of this on one line and each space is represented by a smiley. Caps are necessary and partitions are subject to your setup.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-13-2003 at 12:50 PM.

well i looked at what you asked me to and yes, i am using ` not '.

however issuing the boot page commang i get

root=/dev/hda4 BASH_ENV=`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda16\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/runmonte'root=/dev/hda4

not
    BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda16\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/runmonte'

as onyx does.
    what concerns me is this is like this before i even put the drive back into tivo.its taling out the begining and end \'s. do i need to be concerned about this????

starting over now, so ill keep checking back
    thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.
    Please post the bootpage -P command you're entering to set it up. and confirm where the image you're monte'ing into is located.

NutKase

nutkase,

i came back to see if there were any updates, and there were. so i typed the bootpage command exactly like yours.

my 3.1 root was at 7 so kern at 6
    my u5 is in 4 and kern in 3

nutkase,

i came back to see if there were any updates, and there were. so i typed the bootpage command exactly like yours.

my 3.1 root was at 7 so kern at 6
    my u5 is in 4 and kern in 3
    You said was at 7? You should have u5 in 3/4 and still have 3.1 in 6/7.

Use my bootpage command but use root=/dev/hda4 if your u5 is in 3/4. You have to boot the hackable u5 then monte will flip into the other one.

With your setup you would have killinitrd'd the kernel in 6 then put it back.

Speaking of flip you did flip you bootpage didn't you with this:

/cdrom/bootpage -f -C /dev/hdc

assumes your tivo drive is in your computer on Secondary Master

NutKase

yep
    u5 is in 3/4
    bootpage used hda4
    killinitrd in 6
    and flipped the bootpage

i forgot to mention, it still didn't work.

but i keep noticing my bootpage keeps changing:
    as i stated i copied yours exactly except for hda4

and it shows up being this when i remount the drive in the pc
    root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true BASH_ENV=`mount$IFS-n$IFS/dev/hda16$IFS/mnt;echo$IFS/mnt/runmonte`

Why do i keep losing my \'s???????
    Last edited by pitt30; 09-13-2003 at 02:24 PM.

yep
    u5 is in 3/4
    bootpage used hda4
    killinitrd in 6
    and flipped the bootpage

i forgot to mention, it still didn't work.

but i keep noticing my bootpage keeps changing:
    as i stated i copied yours exactly except for hda4

and it shows up being this when i remount the drive in the pc
    root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true BASH_ENV=`mount$IFS-n$IFS/dev/hda16$IFS/mnt;echo$IFS/mnt/runmonte`

Why do i keep losing my \'s???????
    Don't worry about that. It'll show up that way imediately after you write it if you look at with bootpage -p. Mine did too. I think the \ at the beginning and end just has BASH_ENV 'evaluate' what's between them. This isn't your problem. Can you get any serial output?

NutKase

kmem

Now for the next problem:
    After transfering kmem to /var/hack and chmoding it, I'm trying to unscramble the recordings using:
    /var/hack/kmem 800b23b4 00001021

All I get is "kmem: Permission denied"
    any idea what I'm doing wrong???

chmod 755 /var/hack/kmem

i get an error code of (couple diff ones after different load attmepts) 52, 53 or 62 (if i recall correctly)
    ram is 64k
    what is password
    Last edited by pitt30; 09-13-2003 at 03:18 PM.