Thread: lost /var/hack directory?

lost /var/hack directory?

hey all. I lost my /var/hack directory today. dunno how, but I just spent the last 20minutes restoring it(down to an art!!).

what I don't understand is why? I know the last time this happened was a software update. But I can't remember what the old version was(it was 3.0 something).

was there a recent update?
    --
    Steven Adeff
    AIM: IndieRockSteve
    http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/TivoLinux/

basically the whole /var partition can be rebuilt at any time. Mostly this is due to corruption, or space.

Personally, I put all my files in the /devbin directory. I don't have to worry about them being deleted.

-lloyd-
    SA-2000 Sony 80 Hours w/ tivonet
    SA-2000 Sony 30 Hours w/ turbonet
    SD-H400 Toshiba 80 Hours

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo

Look on page 3 of the How Tos Only sticky thread in the DirecTV Tivo Hacking Forum. There's a file in the downloads section called hack.zip. Unzip the file, create a new /var/hack directory on your DTivo, and transfer all of the files from the hack.zip file to the newly created /var/hack directory. After all files have been transferred, navigate to the /var/hack directory on the DTivo and do a chattr +i * while in the directory. This will prevent the contents of the directory from being deleted in the future.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

what does chattr +i do?

What does chattr +i do? do to files?

Re: what does chattr +i do?

Originally posted by N47H4N
    What does chattr +i do? do to files?
    It makes the file immutable. However, Cap't. is wrong about it preventing the entire /var/ from being killed. If the Tivo thinks the space usage is too high on /var, it will wipe it out and rebuild it, regardless of the chattr. You need to use one of the log removal methods to prevent this, and/or comment out the parts of rc.sysinit that check the space in the first place.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

Hey celebguy_dv,

Quit spamming this forum with your crap. You've posted this shit in just about every thread in this forum. Get it the f**k out of here!!

Hey BL, thanks for setting me straight on the chattr +i thing. I'm no Linux wiz and I posted that reply from memory (what I have left of it, that is). Gettin' old's a drag.
    Last edited by captain_video; 03-04-2003 at 08:00 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!