Thread: noppv problem all of a sudden

noppv & mvchannel problem all of a sudden

For some reason noppv stopped working for me. anyone have a clue why this would happen?

/bin# noppv.tcl -5

noppv tcl script:
    Removes PPV flag from existing shows in the Tivo database.

No EventSwitcher active
    while executing
    "dbopen"
    (file "./noppv.tcl" line 111)
    It was working fine before just notice this happening today. Thanks for any help.

UPDATE
    After a little more looking it seems mvchannel does the same thing when I try to run it.
    /bin# mvchannels.tcl -file=/bin/localmvc.dat
    Input file set to '/bin/localmvc.dat'
    No EventSwitcher active
    while executing
    "dbopen"
    (file "./mvchannels.tcl" line 491)
    /bin#
    Last edited by TheErMinE; 02-27-2003 at 01:08 AM.

Re: noppv & mvchannel problem all of a sudden

Originally posted by TheErMinE
    For some reason noppv stopped working for me. anyone have a clue why this would happen?

It was working fine before just notice this happening today. Thanks for any help.

UPDATE
    After a little more looking it seems mvchannel does the same thing when I try to run it.
    All your tcls will do it.

There seems to be a memory leak of some sort on 3.1 I don't know if it exists on 2.5.x

Rebooting will solve your problem, but I can't tell you for how long. Before you reboot, check System Information for your current uptime and that'll give you an idea of how long you can run without a failure.

It's weird though, and I'd love to know why it happens. More importantly, how to fix it.

It only seems to be a concern on tcls that run OFTEN (noppv, fixsub31.tcl, TivoTitle, etc..)

Hope this helps, and gets some additional input from those who can explain it...
    JJ Bliss

Thats odd, because I've tried running them right after a reboot and I got the same thing.. I'll try it again and post my results. Thanks.

I guess I "thought" I tried it after reboot.. It did work this time. I usually have it running through cron along with mvchannels.. could it possibly be that they are trying to run at the same time? Could that cause it to stop working?

This is a problem with v3.1.0 only and as JJBliss has mentioned the only known remedy is to reboot.

If you want to reboot on a schedule add this to crontab:
    00 6 */2 * * /tvbin/reboot

That would reboot at 1:00 am every 2 days (eastern time zone). Change the 6 to 7, 8 or 9 for central, mountain, or pacific time zones respectively.

BTW, I will be adding this as an option to the next version of xPlusz but with some added logic to abort the reboot. In addition to just rebooting I will add a check to abort the reboot if a recording is in progress and give the viewer the ability to abort by pressing a button on the remote within 30 seconds of receiving an on-screen message.