Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool5 running VERY VERY slow

TyTool5 running VERY VERY slow

For the first few weeks, TyTool5 was running just fine. All of a sudden, it started running abysmally slow. It takes 6+ hours just to download 30 minutes.

I've rebooted both my PC and my TiVo. No improvement.

Any ideas?

No not really.

Something else must have changed. The OS version on your Tivo. The network itself in some way. Something has altered or degraded. Go back over all the pieces looking for changes.

--jdiner

Still slow...

Well, I've checked everything I can think to check and TyTool5 is still running very slow.

I've done a little research here on the forum and I've noticed there are other people who've also experience this problem. I really haven't seen that they've solved it.

Some of the troubleshooting steps have involved ... checking the FTP speed ... adjusting duplex settings ... adjusting priority settings ... etc...

Where should I start? My TiVo's starting to fill up with stuff I don't want to delete and I really need to get this stuff on CD or DVD soon.

Based on what I saw when analysing the network traffic between the PC and Tivo, I'd say there are two things that would/could help. First, if you are using an Ethernet hub, replace it with a switch. Right now the bandwidth utilization for 10Mbps Ethernet is a very high average of ~60%. When it reaches these sorts of saturation levels, Ethernet performance takes a real nose dive. 10/100 switches and NICs are dirt cheap these days.

Second, if you can't replace it, remove any other devices from the hub when doing the transfers.

Actually this happened to me yesterday...

Problem was that another machine on my network
    had the been assigned the TiVo's IP by my DHCP server.

Since the Tivo wasn't on the network when that happened,
    when i plugged in the TiVo, i could access it and all but extraction
    was extremely slow.

I re-arranged my IP's and all is well in extraction land!

-Pr.

Sometimes it happen to me and I change in the PC side from auto sense to 10 full duplex, or 100 full duplex and test, sometimes one is slow and other fast, don't know why but it happens.

Last time I extracted I put 10 full duplex and worked like a MB/s, but then I connected my laptop to run Ghost and it say 11MB/min, so I went back and changed to 100 full duplex in the PC and I ran Ghost at about 70MB/min.

Did you install/upgrade some software like firewall or something like that? maybe is not working as expected.

Originally posted by bato
    Sometimes it happen to me and I change in the PC side from auto sense to 10 full duplex, or 100 full duplex and test, sometimes one is slow and other fast, don't know why but it happens.
    Whenever you change a NIC from full to 1/2 or vice versa, you have to unplug it from the switch, and then plug it back in. Many times the auto-sense won't work correctly by just changing the setting. And some very old switches have manual override dip switches for 1/2 - full, because the Nway spec wasn't finalized when they were made.

My two cents:

I have a dual processor (P-III) computer running Win2000, which seems to have something to do with the problem. I have seen other posts that also mention dual processors.

I almost always get very slow extraction speeds (1/10) with tytool under normal conditions. I can ftp files to/from the DTiVo at full speed under the exact same conditions. I have tried different ethernet switches, different duplex settings, etc.

The one thing that I can do that will bring the extraction speed up to full is to run TMPGEnc and transcode a video while I am extracting. If I stop TMPGEnc while the extraction is happening, the extraction rate drops dramatically.

There may be something else going on with single processor computers that causes a slowdown, but in my experience, there is something strange about the process priority of the tytool client when run on a dual processor Win2000 computer. I have to run a very CPU intensive process while extracting to get full speed extraction.

Until this gets fixed, I just always start an MPEG transcode before extracting any new shows. Works every time. (I have made about 50 DVDs and 20 VideoCDs so far.)

Have you tried going into Task Manager and changing the Process's priority? Just curious if that has any effect.

I to have observed a massive slowdown. I am running W2k Pro and Tytool 5r2.

Same system when booted off a Win98SE partition runs about 1 MB/s (normal), running from W2k partition extracts at 1/10 that speed (3,042,97 MB in 7h 17m).

The only thing that has changed on the Win2k system was a recent round of Microsoft updates: SP3 and all current security patches.

I suspect that something in the current Win2K (possibly WinXP as well) maintenance levels has introduced a performance issue with tytool.

BubbleLamp - I just tried setting the process priority to "above normal" and "high" and it made no difference.

I also have SP3 installed. I wonder if MS did break something with SP3?

Months ago, I used to get fast extractions. Along the way I added the second processor and SP3. I don't remember exactly when things slowed down. Maybe it is one or both of those in combination?

I am running on WinXP Pro, SP1. I get nearly 1.5MB/s.

Unhappy Doesn't work for me...

I tried using TMPGEnc to encode videos while using TyTool5 to extract and I was unable to increase the speed.

Sounds like the two processor thing is a clue here. When you run TMPGEnc when you're extracting, I'll bet your system is dedicating one processor for each task. Running TyTool5 alone seems to be confusing SOME of the two processor systems out there.

I did, however, make one change to my system ... I increased the memory from 128 to 512. I'm running a 1.5 P4 Sony Vaio. I'm not sure if I'm using two processors or not ... how can I tell?

Is there a beta version of TyTool which we can use to troubleshoot this (no/low/hi priorities, use one processor only, etc..)?

By the way...

I will try (tonight, when I get home from work) removing the newly installed memory (back to 128) to see if that identifies my particular problem.

What OS are you running jaja? Only WinNT/2K/XP will use 2 CPUs. If you are running dual CPU, you can check Task Manager to see if the load is spread across both. Also, 128MB isn't enough RAM for WinNT/2K/XP.