Thread: Kernel mod for 160/180/200 GB drive

Question Kernel mod for 160/180/200 GB drive

Perhaps I've overlooked the past thread(s), but I am wondering if there are any kernel patches out there that one can use to break the 137 GB barrier with a 2.5/2.5.2 TiVo kernel.

Any references or new discussion would be greatly appreciated. Patching my x86 linux kernels is a no-brainer, but I am assuming that there is quite a bit more involved with getting this working on a xtremed unit.

I'm a lucky owner of a spare SAT-T60, two 200 GB drives, and a lot of spare time for the next two weeks.

Last edited by OvitivO; 03-21-2003 at 04:26 AM.

not currently possible? i could have sworn I saw some posts about this awhile back, but i do not recall any successful/stable implementations.

I see. I'll try a few of my own ideas if nothing else surfaces, and like I said, this T60 is a spare that I don't mind "breaking."

As an alternative, I have considered mounting a nfs partition at boot from one of my LVM/RAID boxes to use as the primary r/w storage facility for the T60. Ideally, it would be nice to have *everything* mounted via NFS, but I currently am not convinced that this is feasible. Definitely wouldn't hurt to freshen up on some kernel hacking.

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to PM.

Thanks

Thumbs up

I like the on-demand streaming via FTP, but I am looking for something a bit more seamless, once implemented.

For example,(and yes, there are quite a few huge assumptions associated with doing this) if I were to create a large NFS partition that the tivo would mount as early as possible during boot, I could create a few snapshot archives that the tivo would use as both a "Now Playing Archive" and a repository for upcoming recordings. Therefore, I could resize (LVM) this mount/partition if it grows, or increase the size if I were to do something as nuts as record every NCAA basketball game until the Championship game.

The trick here is that all that I need to do is to tell the NFS server which directories should be mounted, and therefore I would have the ability to seamlessly change the "type" of programming on an individual tivo (dependent upon the NFS mount that is configured on the NFS server). I could still easily add shows with msftp, but this would basically allow one to share very large collections, very quickly, with minimal intervention.

The end results? If one has a 600 GB NFS mount, one could theoretically have a tivo with 525+ hours of recorded movies, sporting events, series, etc. Also, one could easily share that collection with another tivo by simply shutting down tivo "A," run a script on your NFS server, and reboot tivo "B" with the collection that was previously on tivo "A."

Obviously, quite a bit of this is "thinking aloud."

I think these may be links to things you saw before.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...LBA+and+kernel

It refers to the Tivo community forum thread that is the best one I remember seeing.

Re: I think these may be links to things you saw before.

Originally posted by KEC
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...LBA+and+kernel

It refers to the Tivo community forum thread that is the best one I remember seeing.
    Thanks, KEC

btw:

The gist of that thread is that one fellow, Todd, was having relative success doing this on a Series-1 Standalone back in January, but had yet to confirm that the debugging was moving forward.

In addition, there was a GPL debate about the source code that a online reseller of upgrades was using to get over this limit. The discussion was more-or-less a legal one, of course.

Riley,

cool -- thanks for your input. i agree, it's a fugly technical implementation (if even possible), but like i mentioned earlier, i'm game for anything that "can't be done." some friends and colleagues of mine have done some fun, derivative works which sprouted from some frustrating, and completely stupid ideas (in retrospect).

i really have 2 objectives

1. quickly/seamlessly share entire collections of recordings between my tivos

2. get these (LBA/48) 200 GB buggers working 100%