Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TyStudio - a compleat solution for extracting, editing, converting of tivo tystreams

TyStudio - a compleat solution for extracting, editing, converting of tivo tystreams

The TyStudio Project Team is proud to announce TyStudio 0.5.0 Beta 1. TyStudio is the new name of TyDemux since it's a suite of tools providing you with a complete solution for extracting, editing, and converting of tivo tystreams.

While this is still Beta software, we consider it useful for a broader audience. However you should still have in mind that it's beta software, and can cause seriously harmful damage to the health of you, your Tivo, your PC and anyone else within a 50 ft radius . We cannot accept any liability for loss or damage to anybody or anything. If you are unsure about installing software from irresponsible people - don't do it. That said, we will move on to the nicer side of what we will bring you!

--------------------------------------
    TyStudio is a GPL'ed set of tools for extracting, editing, and converting of tivo tystreams to standard video/audio formats. This is done without re-encoding, so it's a rather fast process. TyStudio is also entirely standards based; Every component of tystudio can be substituted with your favorite third party software (except tydemux of course).

TyStudio is currently under heavy development. Future abilities of TyStudio will include streaming video strait from your tivo unit, as well as the direct conversion to DVD format, to include the necessary tools for making your own DVD menus, and everything else that you could possibly want out of a DVD. This would happen a lot faster if we had more developers to help, hint hint.

Currently, TyStudio is comprised of the following elements:
    Conversion tools:
    -----------------
    • TyEditor: Currently the front end of TyStudio. From this tool, you can extract and edit your tystreams (or you can edit them without extracting), and pass all of the conversion options strait to the rest of the components in only a few steps.
    • TyDemux: This is the core of TyStudio; This program is what makes everything we do possible. For the most part, it converts tivo's proprietary tystream format to standard MPEG-2. It also corrects all types errors that are in the MPEG streams, from fixing holes, replacing missing video frames, to fixing sync problems. Eve the worst MPEG stream errors, which tivo streams are full of,don't stand a chance against it.
    • TyProcess: The command line interface counterpart of TyEditor.
    • TyTranscode: This tool handles all of the audio conversion. You can convert MPEG to AC3 (Dolby Digital), or vice versa. You can also change the sampling rates or bit rates of the audio as well. This tool is very valuable for making streams compatible with standard DVD, SVCD, or whatever other format you so desire.
    • TyMplex: The final step in the conversion process. Once you have your tystream converted to your liking, it is rebuilt (multiplexed) into the format of your choice by this component.

Functional tools:
    -----------------
    • TyIndex: This is an indexing daemon that runs on your tivo and uses its spare processing time to index your shows in advance. Thi way, you do not need to wait each time you want to index a stream because its already been done for you.
    • TyServer: A daemon that silently runs on your tivo, awaiting requests by the other tools to list all of your recordings, get information about each recording, or directly extract any given recording Unlike most programs that already do this, this one is written entirely in C. This means that it's faster, and more stable than any other software of this kind.
    • TyLS: This will communicate directly with the TyServer to get a listing of your current recordings
    • TyGet: This tool downloads recordings on your tivo from TyServer.
    • TyChopper: This useful little tool allows you to cut up portions of a tystream in order to only send the bad portions of it (instead of the whole enchilada) to the authors for debugging so that they can fix the problem that your stream has for a future release

TyStudio is available from http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/index.shtml This is the homepage of TyStudio. Here you will find extensive documentation available, along with a download page.

We urge you to read all available documentation before starting, especially the installation documentation!

Systems for feature requests and bug reports are available and we urge you to use those systems - for further information see
    http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/ty...esources.shtml

TyStudio has it's own user mailing list available at http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/ty...esources.shtml We highly recommend using, it since it will make your TyStudio experience so much more enjoyable.

Cheers

The TyStudio Team
    Last edited by olaf_sc; 03-23-2003 at 02:58 AM.

Sweet!!!

Thanks to everyone on the dev and alpha testing teams! Going to download and install now.

Ahh, one thing worth noticing!!

TyIndex/TyServer doesn't support TySteams created by Tivo Software version 1.5 or older. (I.e Dino old TyStreams) we urge you not to use TyServer/TyIndex until you have removed those Dino old streams from your TIVO.

Cheers
    The TyStudio Team

Any chance you can zip up all the doc files so we can grab them en-mass?
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

Hi Olaf
    Thanks from us all!
    One quick bug report in the installer )i cant get the bug report on sourcefire to work)

The tivo install script is downloaded as tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh

this needs to be renamed else the install script barfs

e.g.
    mv tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh tyserver.ppc.sh

Alun

FYI - I had to rename the file (expected) but it didn't work until it was moved into /var

If you grab the source file you will find them in the docs dir.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Yes will look into that - I mean ziping them up .
    PS: Please post feature request to SF, there is a page to do that at under Recources . Keeping track of all this is kind of hard .

Fixed!

Originally posted by alunj
    Hi Olaf
    Thanks from us all!
    One quick bug report in the installer )i cant get the bug report on sourcefire to work)

The tivo install script is downloaded as tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh

this needs to be renamed else the install script barfs

e.g.
    mv tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh tyserver.ppc.sh

Alun

I'm experiencing lockups during playback after selecting a file in tystudio.

Can I adjust the priorities of tyserver & tyindex?

Lightbulb some tips

Is kind of late, but I think is a good idea to post some tips before I go to sleep, I'll check them tomorrow to edit them anyway, here they are (I'm using the windows version):

- if your ty is from a Dtivo and you want to create a muxed output select "Video to: DVD" and "Audio to: No Transcoding", if you keep the default "48000 (DVD)" it will be transcoded and will only take more time, you already have 48000. Maybe a future version will check the ty and then give options to transcode (i.e. grey out 48000 if it is already at 48000).

- if you want to create separate audio/video to import into Maestro then select "Video to: Elemental Stream" and see above about audio.

- the cut start/stop will eliminate all frames from start point to stop point inclusive, so you have to select for start point and stop point also frames that you don't want (not selecting the first one that you want to keep as a cut stop).

- you can use left/right arrow to move GOP by GOP, if you select shift+left or shift+right, you will jump a number of GOPs controlled by the slider "Play Speed" to the left small jumps to the right big jumps, so test it and adjust to where you fill confortable to find your cut points faster.

- save your markers before hitting process, this way you will have them to make changes fast the next time you load your ty

- after you hit process the ty will be removed from the editor but for a little bug the cut list will stay. Please clic "Remove All" after you load another ty for process, the cut list is no longer valid and maybe you will have problems with it, you already saved it, didn't you?

- take note that is no warning if you are about to overwrite a mpg file with the same name. Have to report this to get fixed for future release.

- if you output a muxed file, you can use it in the step by step that Pr.Sinister posted here and you can skip step 6 and 7. That's right, you don't need TMPGEnc simple multiplex option, so you'll save 3-6min of your time for each show.

- please remember, this is beta software, is much better than the alpha we tested from a week ago.

- if you find any bug or want to add a feature to the wishlist, please follow the links to add them to sourceforge, so the team can work on them

- to give more information about your problem check the file named "editorlog.txt" where you installed tyStudio, or, as in my case, in "C:\Documents and Settings\User\editorlog.txt"
    Last edited by bato; 03-23-2003 at 05:06 AM.

Awesome! I just checked back here for the heck of it and my eyes lit up when I saw this thread. Can't wait to give it a full run, I've been waiting for a all-in-one type of app, and really hope this makes my life easier. Thanks!

dude, sweet!

tystudio, bog std mpeg2 output, no audio transcode -> .mpeg

burn straight to cdr, plays fine on my dvd player (daeoo 3000n)

Originally posted by Norco
    I've been waiting for a all-in-one type of app, and really hope this makes my life easier. Thanks!
    This app will load your ty files (local or from Tivo), give you chance to edit out some parts and then more options to export. At this point can't create VOBs or burn directly to DVD. No all-in-one right now, but I guess a future version will be.

Thats all I meant. I can handle authoring mpgs and such in dvd maestro and burning. By all in one I meant from Tivo > DVD ready mpg.

i get this error from the tivo installer

For the indexing daemon and the tyserver to work as intended, a call
    for them needs to be added to your rc.sysinit. Would you like me to
    do this for you? [yes]: yes

Backing up your origional rc.sysinit to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tyserver
    cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tyserver': Read-only file system
    /var/tyserver.ppc.sh: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: Read-only file system
    /var/tyserver.ppc.sh: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: Read-only file system

I'm guessing it's not mounting the file system as read-write.
    Can someone tell me the changes that are made to rc.sysinit so i can make them manually?

UPDATE: I just tried installing it again, but this time i mounted the whole filesystem as read/write first and it seems to have worked fine.
    Last edited by burriko; 03-23-2003 at 07:00 AM.