Thread: Upgrading to 3.1 with defective modem..

Upgrading to 3.1 with defective modem..

I'm currently running a fresh install of 25xtreme. My 6000 receiver evidently has a defective modem and during installation required me to perform the modemtest fix.

When I upgrade to 3.1, is this problem going to come back to haunt me?

Thanks
    Dave

PS Thanks to all that have provided the wealth of information and tools thus far. I promise I'll contribute after I get out of the n00b stage

Did the upgrade, seemed to work fine without any modification to get around the defective modem.

Dave

If you're installing 2.5Xtreme, if you use the "touch" function to get a pseudo-lifetime sub then the modem should never be required. Even though you have to force a daily call, the modem is never actually used since you don't have a phone line connected. I don't know if having a defective modem will affect the installation but I wouldn't imagine that it would cause any problems.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    If you're installing 2.5Xtreme, if you use the "touch" function to get a pseudo-lifetime sub then the modem should never be required. Even though you have to force a daily call, the modem is never actually used since you don't have a phone line connected. I don't know if having a defective modem will affect the installation but I wouldn't imagine that it would cause any problems.
    Yeah, until the modemtest program is removed, the system will hang at updating database forever. Once this is fixed in 2.5, the upgrade to 3.1 isn't really a problem. Although I am having a problem with 3.1 and the sat setup. Ugh!

Thanks
    Dave