Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: PROM socketing

Yes, they will boot to the sunshine screen but won't fully boot into tivo, the original kernal hangs with the new prom, at least that is what it does for me.

No sunshine screen = prom does not work or solder/connection problem.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by jmayes
    Yes, they will boot to the sunshine screen but won't fully boot into tivo, the original kernal hangs with the new prom, at least that is what it does for me.

No sunshine screen = prom does not work or solder/connection problem.

JM
    That's strange, I didn't have any trouble booting thestock kernel with the modified PROM. Are you running an R-10 (6.1)?

MN

When I did mine, I had no problem either. You must be doing something wroung....

If the prom mod is performed on the R10, is it still required to do the killhdinitrd on the stock kernel? I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by richr69
    If the prom mod is performed on the R10, is it still required to do the killhdinitrd on the stock kernel? I'm confused
    If you boot a stock kernel that still has the unmodified initrd, it will "clean" your root file system for you, eliminating all hacks. The PROM mod allows you to boot an unsigned kernel, or one that has been modified (e.g. with replace_initrd) after signing. You still need to get the initrd out of the way, if you want to hack; but killhdinitrd is not the tool for the job, on a series 2.5. You can either use replace_initrd, or boot a custom kernel.

If it still isn't clear, review this post to understand the chain of trust.
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-29-2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarify that killhdinitrd isn't for S2.5s

I thought that is what the killhdinitrd was for. I used it on the original sd-dvr40 kernel (prom unmodified) and everything worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by richr69
    I thought that is what the killhdinitrd was for. I used it on the original sd-dvr40 kernel (prom unmodified) and everything worked fine.
    Killhdinitrd works by bypassing the initrd. It depends on a fortuitous arrangement of commands, so only certain kernels can be exploited (3.1.5 kernel can; 3.1.5d, 3.1.5e, 3.1.5f, 6.2, and 7.1 cannot). It is useful chiefly on Series 2 systems.

The R10 is a Series 2.5 and (IIRC) a Series 2 kernel will not work. Use replace_initrd on the 6.1 kernel.

The bottom line: If Jamie says "Do it this way", but you think another way is better, Jamie is almost certainly right. (He might have been wrong once or twice, but I wouldn't bet on it.)

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    The bottom line: If Jamie says "Do it this way", but you think another way is better, Jamie is almost certainly right.
    I'd prefer that people understood what they were doing rather than blindly following instructions (mine or others). So questions about why things work the way they do are welcome.

I edited my post above to clarify that killhdinitrd is not the tool for the job on a Series 2.5. I left that part out, given the context, but without the context the post could have been unclear.

If you still don't understand, I'd suggest you go read that AllDeadHomiez post I linked to again (and again) until it sinks in.
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-29-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    I edited my post above to clarify that killhdinitrd is not the tool for the job on a Series 2.5. I left that part out, given the context, but without the context the post could have been unclear.
    Actually, in the context of this thread, it is more properly stated as "killhdinitrd is not the tool for the job on a TiVo with a PROM mod.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s
    Actually, in the context of this thread, it is more properly stated as "killhdinitrd is not the tool for the job on a TiVo with a PROM mod.
    Killhdinitrd won't work on a Series 2.5, PROM mod or not.

Sorry, looks like my-bad. I tried a stock drive (stock kernel) again with the mod'd prom and it booted fine. I must have been holding my mouth wrong the first time.

Jmayes

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Killhdinitrd won't work on a Series 2.5, PROM mod or not.
    And your point is?

This thread is about PROM mods, and is not exclusive to 2.5.

Nothing will work on a 2.5 without a PROM mod. Regardless of the architecture, if you have a PROM mod, it's easier and cleaner to simply neuter the initrd and boot directly from a single kernel. Hence, for 2.5 (with the required PROM mod) or any other TiVo which has a PROM mod, killhdinit is not the proper tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s
    And your point is?

This thread is about PROM mods, and is not exclusive to 2.5.

Nothing will work on a 2.5 without a PROM mod. Regardless of the architecture, if you have a PROM mod, it's easier and cleaner to simply neuter the initrd and boot directly from a single kernel. Hence, for 2.5 (with the required PROM mod) or any other TiVo which has a PROM mod, killhdinit is not the proper tool for the job.
    My impression is that killhdinitrd works fine on a S2 with a prom mod, using a compatible kernel. The issue is that killhdinitrd does not work with a S2.5, not that the prom mod interfers with killhdinitrd. I say this without having actually tried it. If, in fact, killhdinitrd does not work with a prom mod'd S2, I'm happy to admit the error.
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-29-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Hmm, this thread is confusing me. I have both a R10 and a TCD5400, both prom modded. I am sure I am using the same kernel on these units, as the one I am using on my DVDR-40's (killhdinitrt'ed).

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    Hmm, this thread is confusing me. I have both a R10 and a TCD5400, both prom modded. I am sure I am using the same kernel on these units, as the one I am using on my DVDR-40's (killhdinitrt'ed).
    It doesn't sound right. A S2 kernel shouldn't be able to work on a S2.5 (R10,540). Do a "uname -a" on all the boxes. If it is really the same kernel, the kernel build data and time should be identical on all of them.