Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: PROM socketing

ok unit 1 socket in chip is in and its booting now the question is how do i verify

socketed unit is working flawless was able to get sapper going in it that is untill tivo forced a sw update lol guess i will pull the hdd and do it again was on SW ver 8.3 now its at 9.3.2

one other question i have if anyone can point me in the correct direction i want to setup a time server on my computer so i can get the time from my pc and not the tivo server i have seen some talk about it but never explain how

am i missing something?
    Last edited by timberwiolf; 09-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.

well that was a big waste of my time lol kinda ticks me off i got it all hacked up and all current updates and tivowebplus ect so i call tivo to activate and guess what im told " im sorry but that customer id number is in use or the account has a balance we can not activate it unless you buy a lifetime subscription" so while i was at it i checked the other unit same dang thing that is the absolute last time i order tivo units from EBAY so i told the tivo ppl goodbye and solong i am going to dissasemble the entire hdd and do some stuff thats not allowed to be talked about on here lol and the hacked prom will make it much easier i have experiance with linux boxes like the dreambox it uses the same file structure except it is all done of nand chips any how thank you all for letting me read and giving me something to do for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by timberwiolf View Post
    well that was a big waste of my time lol kinda ticks me off i got it all hacked up and all current updates and tivowebplus ect so i call tivo to activate and guess what im told " im sorry but that customer id number is in use or the account has a balance we can not activate it unless you buy a lifetime subscription" so while i was at it i checked the other unit same dang thing that is the absolute last time i order tivo units from EBAY so i told the tivo ppl goodbye and solong i am going to dissasemble the entire hdd and do some stuff thats not allowed to be talked about on here lol and the hacked prom will make it much easier i have experiance with linux boxes like the dreambox it uses the same file structure except it is all done of nand chips any how thank you all for letting me read and giving me something to do for the week.
    Man that sucks, that makes me want to open the box on this premier I just bought off Amazon. I planned to sell it since I bought Omikron's hacked HD but I would hate to sell something like that to another person. I believe we can be moral even if we're not religious or have other influence. Doing your fellow man right shouldn't have to be commanded.

i agree soapm it plain sucks and i know service hacks are kinda a big TABOO but this is exactly the reason people do them eventualy and i know its not going to be hard just have to get the right point in the software where it says that the tivo is in service then i can provide my own guide data threw a fake server on the pc so when it tries to aquire data it gets it from my server instead at least in theory will require a lot of sw mod but i belive it is doable if the nl and peeps like that can do it so can i lol

if all else there has to be a way to downgrade the unit to a series 1 sort of maby find a beta release of the s2 firmware if im not mistaken the first s2 unit did do manual recording untill a forced update

Maybe you can have a script extract the guide data from one of your other units to your server then this one can grab it from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Maybe you can have a script extract the guide data from one of your other units to your server then this one can grab it from there...
    you know that could work as long as it is connected the same and same source hmm i will play with that also looking into a alepg sort of thing like the ausies use but this one is for usa and would get alot of its info from windows media center guide then that gets sent to the connection server and tivo pulls from there still working on the idea on paper lol if i had 499 i would do lifetime on the units but that just seems to be a rip off seeing as the hardware is already used and at any moment could take a crap and i would be out say 300.00 200.00 depending on how many months actualy got used per unit

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    And here, I thought you said people could be moral. But maybe that's just for other people.

It's the seller, not TiVo, who sold a non-functional unit, yet you two are discussing how to steal service from TiVo (against the rules, here, too).

Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    And here, I thought you said people could be moral. But maybe that's just for other people.
    Nope, I strive to be moral also...

Then again, I go to Church every Sunday cuz I fall a little short of the mark...

touché

It's the seller, not TiVo, who sold a non-functional unit, yet you two are discussing how to steal service from TiVo (against the rules, here, too).
    not exactly i do not want to steel their service i want to MAKE MY OWN and on that subject if you read the tivo terms their SERVICE is just that a service to provide guide features and video on demand to the units they made and to be clear i dont want tivos guide i am proposing making my own from FREE sources on the net i can do this by making a script file and a prog similar to tivowebplus as for the recording that is easy enough as well just make my own recording app and use the generic drivers for the tuner and move on to replacing the tivo app with a linux distro app hybrid if you will. its actualy simple if you understand linux and all and actualy just to be clear with the correct drivers you can convert any tivo into a linux box with media recorer after all that is exactly what tivo did the inside of a tivo is nothing more than for example a dreambox with a hdd and with the prom upgrade it is easy to reprogram the prom for NON tivo use. but nonew the less i never asled once how to steal service or hack the tivo app for free service

if i wanted to which i dont at the moment i could do that. but i do not want tivo comming down on me or anyone

im sorry if i stepped on any ones toes it was not ment to come across as stealing service we was just shooting around

Go read their terms again. Part of what the monthly or lifetime subscription buys you is a license to use their proprietary software on their hardware. Buying just the hardware does not grant you that license.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by timberwiolf View Post
    not...
    How can you do that? You can't even use punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    Go read their terms again. Part of what the monthly or lifetime subscription buys you is a license to use their proprietary software on their hardware. Buying just the hardware does not grant you that license.
    as i said im not going to use their service i want to make my own personal stuff and i dont even want to use the software but i do want to take their software apart to see how it works to get a better understanding of the processes and hardware calls so i know what to tell the os i want it to do. there are forums dedicated to TRUE HACKING of the series 2 that details how to steal the tivo service i dont realy want that. i just think the series 2 can be so much more. i mean all the hardware is there just have to figure out what you want to do with it and make your own os one step at a time.

first make it boot a distro of open source linux
    second make it see the tuer and video components
    third make it convert the signal to video output
    fourth make it change channels (tuner may need to be replaced for this one)
    fith make it record the output to a video format using a decoder similar to what tivo does with the mpeg encoder it has stored in one of its folders
    finaly make a guide that pulls its data from a free source

after all that you can tweak the software to add apps and other features.

yes i know some people will say why bother just build a media center pc or a linux box with mythtv

well i say where is the fun in that its not hacking unless you do what others wont or dont

and again i restate im not looking to take anything from tivo if i did i would not be here!

as for the terms of service i am well aware of what it says and that goes back to what i said they are providing data to the units and software i dont want to use tivo's exclusive non GPL software i want to do my own wiping their stuff out of the unit all togeather.

but on the hack side you can actualy turn the S2 into a standalone digital vcr with hacks such as fixup30.tcl or fixsub.tcl by editing the code and telling it where to write the correct value for lifetime and then you can ad to the code to set the guide data at null or no information or even dummy information its all there if you know where to look (Which i do) for example

service information is stored in a TyDir called State and the TyDb called ServiceConfig
    and so on

but that is not the point i dont want the tivo junk any more like i said im going to take it apart and make my own just for fun

How can you do that? You can't even use punctuation.
    HAHA just because i cant use punctuation dont mean i cant code to me coding is simpler that writing words propperly on a forum. coding has spacific formatting and it must be entered in a certain manner in order to function or mash up with the rest of the code one misplaced line and the whole thing will just fail. so once you learn to code its like second nature.
    Last edited by timberwiolf; 09-24-2011 at 06:57 PM.

but just to be clear conversation over thanks for the ideas and the help i will try not to sound like i want to steal service i did not mean it to come out that way but somehow it did. and im sorry about that.

Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar are a form of coding, and, just as with computer coding, there are costs and penalties incurred when mistakes are made. They just aren't always as immediately evident as a computer crash or freeze.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.