Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: PROM socketing

So im very interested in getting my series 2.5/nightlight PROM modded either by services here or a local electronics store. In either case, my question is once its modded, what directions do I follow in order to "hack" it? A link would be much appreciated.

Are there any compatability issues between the directions I should follow and the fact that this a series 2.5?

Finally, will doing this make it so that further updates/upgrades from Tivo will no longer work? I guess if worse comes to worse I can always put back the original PROM.

Thanks

Edited to prevent confusion and fustration this post has been mmmmh?

Mark
    Last edited by mnorton; 07-01-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnorton
    Once you start modding your box, you should no longer let it phone home as this may hose up your unit, undo your changes, alert D* that you are creative, cause your tivo to start recording random episodes of Matlock, or any combination of the above.
    This particular bit of advice is applicable to dtivo's, but not SA tivos. SA's must call in to tivo, unless you have some other way to get keys, certs + guide data.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    This particular bit of advice is applicable to dtivo's, but not SA tivos. SA's must call in to tivo, unless you have some other way to get keys, certs + guide data.
    My bad, I thought he was talking about a dTivo, not an SA.

Once the PROM is modified the easiest thing to do is to change out the Kernel with one available at PTVupgrade.com ($5 for the CD). Then you can make whatever changes that you want.
    Is that right? I always thought that a PROM-modded Tivo required a kernel that's had initrd neutered via replace_initrd or somesuch and not one of the killhdinitrd'd kernels. But I've never had one, so maybe I am misremembering.

(It is at this point in our story that Jamie will waltz in, correct all of Chris's erroneous statements, educate thousands, and then wander off and produce another ty-ffmpeg patch as he assists bcc.)
    Last edited by cheer; 06-29-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Is that right? I always thought that a PROM-modded Tivo required a kernel that's had initrd neutered via replace_initrd or somesuch and not one of the killhdinitrd'd kernels. But I've never had one, so maybe I am misremembering.

(It is at this point in our story that Jamie will waltz in, correct all of Chris's erroneous statements, educate thousands, and then wander off and produce another ty-ffmpeg patch as he assists bcc.)
    No, you're right. I missed that. AFAIK, none of the S2 kernels on the ptvupgrade disk will work on a S2.5. The best bet is a custom built kernel (see this) or the stock kernel that has had the initrd replaced with replace_initrd. The nice thing about a prom mod is that you don't have to mointe to run a custom kernel.

Sorry about not clairifying that I indeed do have a Stand Alone 2.5 unit. I'll definitely read more about the replace_initrd method. As for not allowing tivo to phone home, Ive actually networked Tivo to my Linux firewall via a USB wireless adapter and it gets its guide data through the internet. I'm hoping that I can still continue to do this. I have already done the harddrive upgrade from 40Gb to 120gb but im pretty sure this is a non-issue as far as PROM modding goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegeX
    Ive actually networked Tivo to my Linux firewall via a USB wireless adapter and it gets its guide data through the internet. I'm hoping that I can still continue to do this.
    Yep, sure can!
    I have already done the harddrive upgrade from 40Gb to 120gb but im pretty sure this is a non-issue as far as PROM modding goes.
    Yep, sure is!
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    No, you're right. I missed that. AFAIK, none of the S2 kernels on the ptvupgrade disk will work on a S2.5. The best bet is a custom built kernel (see this) or the stock kernel that has had the initrd replaced with replace_initrd. The nice thing about a prom mod is that you don't have to mointe to run a custom kernel.
    http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/s...a48/index.html

This link says that the LBA48 CD supports Series 2 including the following models:

[
    • Pioneer 810H and 57H DVR with DVD
    • Toshiba RS/TX models with DVD
    • TiVo Series2 TCD540 Models (the newest Series2 standalone units)
    • HUMAX Series2 standalone units
    • DirecTV/Hughes HR10-250 DVR with HDTV
    • DirecTV R10 (the newest Series2 DirecTV systems edit:6/30/06 File system is supported but the 6.1 kernel is not
    • Any Series2 Standalone Unit running version 7.X or newer of the TiVo OS
    • Any Series2 DirecTV Unit running version 6.X or newer of the TiVo OS

I've not tried it yet but I was planning on it this weekend.

Mark
    Last edited by mnorton; 06-30-2006 at 03:54 PM.

http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/s...a48/index.html

This link says that the LBA48 CD supports Series 2 including the following models:

[
    • Pioneer 810H and 57H DVR with DVD
    • Toshiba RS/TX models with DVD
    • TiVo Series2 TCD540 Models (the newest Series2 standalone units)
    • HUMAX Series2 standalone units
    • DirecTV/Hughes HR10-250 DVR with HDTV
    • DirecTV R10 (the newest Series2 DirecTV systems
    • Any Series2 Standalone Unit running version 7.X or newer of the TiVo OS
    • Any Series2 DirecTV Unit running version 6.X or newer of the TiVo OS

I've not tried it yet but I was planning on it this weekend.

Mark
    Yes, the boot CD will work just fine. That is not the same thing as saying it has a compatible kernel included.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

I'm interested in an R10 PROM if someone is interested in selling me one. Plz PM.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Yes, the boot CD will work just fine. That is not the same thing as saying it has a compatible kernel included.
    Ouch, I bought the LBA48 CD thinking that it had the 6.1 kernel on it just looking at the page I referenced above

I did manage to update a Philips DSR-704 with kernel 3.1.5 so it was not a total loss.

Just for reference, here are the S2 kernels that are included on the LBA48 CD:

3.1.1C
    4.0.1A

Thanks for the note.

Mark
    Last edited by mnorton; 06-30-2006 at 04:01 PM.

29 Feeling confused.

After Getting a new R10 from DirecTV Tonight, my old RCA DVR80 Died.
    I read several posts, including this one, looking for a way to get my HMO back up and running. Now I feel a bit lost.
    Is there a way to add Telnet, FTP, MFS_FTP, and tivo web to my system without moding the prom?
    Seems Monte might be the way. correct?
    If I must go the Prom route could someone point me in the direction of some more detailed directions and maybe even a copy of the moded prom code.
    I have the skills to do the soldering so all I need is direction to locate the correct chip to remove and the code that need to be applied.

Thanks,
    Rap

You WILL need to flash the prom to add all those things, no software hack for Series2.5s.

I don't have a link/know any search terms you should use because I never looked into it but I know the code/info you need to flash your prom is here at ddb.

Cheer, PlainBill, Jamie,etc should be able to find a link or give you some terms.

Also, are you sure you have a compatible programmer for the PROM?

A Willem is usually what I see recommended around here.
    Last edited by drez; 07-04-2006 at 01:22 AM.

29 Getting a clue.

Drez,
    Thanks for the info.
    I will wait on links or terms from the senior members.
    Compatable Programer. Nope I will have to buy one along with the chip and scoket.

Rap