mplex: Video e0: buf= 235520 frame=000000 sector=00000000
    mplex: Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=000000 sector=00000000
    demux: Read Chunk: chunk 4094 - bad chunk header - skipping
    demux: Read Chunk: chunk 4095 - over flow in records - skipping
    demux: Read Chunk: chunk 8190 - bad chunk header - skipping
    demux: Read Chunk: chunk 8191 - over flow in records - skipping
    demux: We can't c
    lose gop
    demux: We can't close the gop in this cut - choose another frame for your cut

There are NO errors above it about holes in the video stream - and there are no cuts anywhere near the chunks with bad header/overflows.

Despite far more crashes, I was able to get more success using beta1 than beta2, I think... I'm not sure if I've gotten any clean cuts from beta2 yet.

There are problems cutting at the end in the current beta - there is a fix which will be in the next release.

Originally posted by newbie
    Riley--Although I don't have as much experience as you I have processed over a hundred gig. The only sync problems I've had is with an AMC movie with lots of cuts. By the end of the movie the sync is off by a few seconds. I think each cut increases the chance of sync problems.
    I think I agree with this statement. Is there any proof out there that this could in fact be true? I am trying to archive some basketball games which have a lot of cuts, and I can't get a single one to keep sync all the way thru to the end. Is this issue being addressed? Is there a correlation between sync, length of show, and amount of cuts? It sure seems that way, and if so, is it being addressed by anybody on the dev team?

saltydog4791

TyStudio was working great for me on a half dozen or so 1-hour clips with no problems. Then suddenly, it just went whacky on me. I tried editing an episode of Babylon 5 that I recorded the other day and it only gets about 700-800 chunks into the ty file before it just starts choking on GOP errors. The top of the progress screen just indicates one GOP error after another from that point on and acts like it can't find anything to lock onto from there on. I reimported the file into TyStudio and started a new marker file, but this time I just did one cut at a time and tried processing it after each cut. I never got more than two cuts set up before it either choked on it or simply crashed. It has started crashing constantly. Sometimes simply opening up the marker file causes it to crash.

I ran the same ty file through TyTools and GOPEditor and it worked fine with no problems whatsoever. The resultant mpg file played fine with no loss of sync in PowerDVD, and I didn't have to remux it using TMPGEnc prior to playing it. I don't know if the program has somehow gotten corrupted or if it simply does not like the ty file I'm trying to feed it.

I ran a 2-hour episode of the Children of Dune miniseries through it the other day. After numerous crashes due to GOP errors from wide gaps from bad cuts, I was finally able to get the entire file processed. I patched and imported it into SpruceUp and everything seemed to work fine for the first half of the file. About midway through, the audio simply disappeared when I tried playing back a segment past a certain point. The video seemed to be OK but the audio was completely muted. If I played it back from a point just prior to where the audio vanished, the soundtrack would play fine all the way to the end of the file. I did notice that it was badly out of sync and that the video would freeze up from time to time. There was also some breakup in the video.

A really strange thing was that SpruceUp would not let me place a chapter stop beyond the point where the audio started going bad. It's like I hit a dead end in the elemental streams.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    I ran the same ty file through TyTools and GOPEditor and it worked fine with no problems whatsoever. The resultant mpg file played fine with no loss of sync in PowerDVD, and I didn't have to remux it using TMPGEnc prior to playing it.
    You only have to remux using TMPGEnc if you plan to use Moviefactory2/Workshop1.3 to make the DVD with vsplit2c.

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. I just ran the same Children of Dune 2-hour clip through TyTool/GOPEditor and it stayed in sync all the way to the end, and I only had to process the file once. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use DVD Workshop. I was really hoping to keep the elementary streams generated by TyStudio so I could stick with SpruceUp (old habits die hard) but, for now, TyTools seems to have the edge for ease of use and keeping the audio in sync. I was actually leaning towards TyStudio until it started crashing if I even looked cross-eyed at it. It wouldn't be quite so bad if it didn't have to re-index a ty file every stinkin' time I import it.

TyStudio has the potential to be an awesome program and lots of users seem to be getting excellent results with it. Based on the amount of effort that's gone into it I feel confident that future releases will no doubt fix most, if not all, of the current bugs that I'm seeing.

I've been downloading my ty files using TyTool6r3, mfsstream and Tivoweb, and tyserver (I still can't get mfs_ftp up and running due to an apparent TCP/IP problem in my home network). The files from Tivoweb seem to be truncating prematurely and I'm not getting the complete file before the download terminates. Tyserver is working fine but it still has to index a ty file every time I import it into TyStudio. With the number of crashes I've experienced lately it's really getting to be a PITA.

I have also had some files give me a GOP temporal reference error when importing into SpruceUp after processing them with tydemux via TyStudio with only a minor cut at the beginning of the file.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by MrBassMan
    There are problems cutting at the end in the current beta - there is a fix which will be in the next release.
    Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks! I can't wait for b3.

FWIW, I'm downloading the .ty files direct from MFS-FTP (I was getting tmfs, but why do the extra step of extracting, especially when you end up with multiple smaller ty files?) Don't know if it makes any difference.

Originally posted by Damfino
    FWIW, I'm downloading the .ty files direct from MFS-FTP (I was getting tmfs, but why do the extra step of extracting, especially when you end up with multiple smaller ty files?) Don't know if it makes any difference.
    Easy. the TMF format will allow you to "reinsert" the tys back into the TiVo.
    Scott

SAT-T60 Ver 3.5

I think my tyserver/indexer is dying?

When I use the "click here to load from now showing", it is showing me old data -- i.e. there are new shows that aren't appearing on the list.

If I bounce the Tivo, the list gets repopulated.

If I remove the file "nowshowing", it seems to repopulate with correct data

Re: I think my tyserver/indexer is dying?

Originally posted by invader zog
    When I use the "click here to load from now showing", it is showing me old data -- i.e. there are new shows that aren't appearing on the list.

If I bounce the Tivo, the list gets repopulated.

If I remove the file "nowshowing", it seems to repopulate with correct data
    I'm having the same problem.

ps output

I finally found the ps binary... here is an edited version of the output:

USER PID %CPU %MEM SIZE RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
    root 122 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW Apr 8 0:00 ./tserver_mfs6
    root 128 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW Apr 8 0:00 /var/index/tyserver
    root 405 1.1 0.0 0 0 ? Z Apr 8 16:37 (tyserver <zombie>)

What does the "zombie" mean?

I tried to re-run tyserver (wasn't sure if the process was dead) -- and it told me that it couldn't bind to the port

did that cause the zombie ?
    is that normal behavior
    is the zombie the "cause" of my problems?

Re: ps output

I tried to re-run tyserver (wasn't sure if the process was dead) -- and it told me that it couldn't bind to the port

did that cause the zombie ?
    is that normal behavior
    I have some problems with zombie also. I think it means a "ghost" of tyserver or the indexer running. It makes it look like there is more than one copy of the server running now for me. I thought I had all this figured out and edited rc.sysinit to give me one single instance of each but now several days later... 1) the now showing list is badly out of date in Tystudio and 2) The server seems to be running twice when doing ps aux. I give up. Waiting on jdiners next release.

I just tried killing the process

and restarted.

It looks like the "zombie" process may be part of normal operation.

Re: I just tried killing the process

and restarted.

It looks like the "zombie" process may be part of normal operation.
    Yep, killing the process worked for me also to eliminate 'zombie' listings. I can also delete the nowshowing file periodically to force the list to update. I think jdiner is to release his latest in a couple of days.
    Last edited by snoopy; 04-09-2003 at 02:56 AM.

Re: ps output

Aside from taking up an entry in process list (e.g. in the output of of utilities like 'ps' and 'top'), a zombie process does not take up any system resources. For a more detailed definition, go here.

No, it's nothing to worry about.

Originally posted by snoopy
    I think jdiner is to release his latest in a couple of days.
    snoopy: You mentioned this twice. How is this relevant to this thread? Please keep things on topic.