Thread: Question about size of shows

bds42 Guest

Question about size of shows

Hi-

So using tystudio beta2 I'm getting sizes of around 670mb for a 1 hr show with the commercials removed. Should I be able to get 6 of these on a single DVD? I heard that only 3 hrs of video would fit... so I'm wondering where I'm off.

Thanks,

bds42

DTivo's use varible bitrate recording, so there is no hard and fast rule as to how big the files will be per hour.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

So using tystudio beta2 I'm getting sizes of around 670mb for a 1 hr show with the commercials removed.
    That sounds about right for the average 1 hr show. Unless the bitrate used by DTV for a particular program is totally out of kilter the you should figure a 1-hour show should be around 1.2GB, give or take a few hundred MB. As Riley pointed out in the referenced thread, there have been numerous reports of extremely huge ty files being generated when recording from certain channels lately. Roughly 2/3 of the hour is the actual program with the remainder consisting of commercials. 670MB without commercials puts you at about 1GB for the hour which is in the ballpark.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!