Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

At this point re-insertion is a mere dream. Extraction to any viewable state is my goal. But is extraction possible on a SAT-T60 without having no scramble?

Quote Originally Posted by contemplativo
    A further alternative might be to offload the recordings using mfs_tmfstream or the like without reinserting. You could watch them as *.ty's on your computer using Mplayer or convert them to *.mpg's (using tytools or tystudio) and burn them to DVD's (e.g. with the help of tytools).
    Umm... I don't think so... the streams are still encrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by ursapooh
    At this point re-insertion is a mere dream. Extraction to any viewable state is my goal. But is extraction possible on a SAT-T60 without having no scramble?
    If there is any way out there to view scrambled streams without using the tivo itself to unscramble them, I haven't seen it.
    It's also pretty unlikely because part of the decryption key exists within the crypto chip on the tivo m/b.
    This is why encrypted streams need to be played on the tivo they came from (unless you physically move the crypto chip to a different m/b... not for the faint of heart).
    Last edited by BTUx9; 06-21-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Right, re-reading your second post, I see you mentioned that your recordings are scrambled. As far as I know, unscrambling these recordings for the purpose of off-tivo viewing, using unscramble.o, would involve a few seconds of playback on your unit. So back to options 1a or 1b: non-networked reinsertion or networked reinsertion.
    Last edited by contemplativo; 06-21-2004 at 02:27 PM.

So then non-networked reinsertion it is. What now?

An alternative might be to install networking hardware on your tivo,
    I have an unused TurboNet card. But I am not sure how to make the DirecTiVo network aware. My TiVo gets the GSOD so if I have to boot TiVo then this won't work. I understand that I can edit a file on my TiVo that makes it boot some but not all of the TiVo programs.

offload recordings onto a temporary storage drive using mfs_tmfstream or equivalent,
    I have an empty hard drive. But I am not sure how to initialize it for storage of linux files or make it network aware. All I have to work with is a linux boot cd.

create a new tivo drive or set of drives using mfstools or equivalent along with the tivo drive image appropriate for your unit,
    I have the drives plus other working DirecTiVos so I could probably create an empty TiVo installation.

install drivers for turbonet or whatever on that new tivo drive,
    Same process as above once I understand how to make the TiVo network aware..

then reinsert the shows onto the tivo from the temporary storage drive using mfs_ftp.
    I can get mfs_ftp.

All this could be done with user-friendly utilities.
    Sounds great. Can you help me get started by looking at my issues above?

How Can I identify the FSID's for programs?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    . You need to identify the FSID of the specific showing you want to extract, then use tridges mfs_export on it. You can normaly do this with mfs_stream, but for some reason its broken for newer software revisions. Unless somebody fixes it, you aren't going to be able to identify the FSID of the shows you want to extract.
    I have drives with programs recorded before hacking, that I have removed from my DTivo. I have replaced the drives with new ones and have hacked the Dtivo so future recordings will be "extractable". I have printed out AlphaWolf's hard drive extraction instructions but I don't know what any of the FSID's are for the programs on the pre-hacked drives. Does anyone know of a way to determine what the FSID's are so I can begin the extraction process? Or is there a way to just extract all of the programs! Ultimately, I will be extracting them all anyway. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have an unused TurboNet card. But I am not sure how to make the DirecTiVo network aware. My TiVo gets the GSOD so if I have to boot TiVo then this won't work. I understand that I can edit a file on my TiVo that makes it boot some but not all of the TiVo programs.
    OK, I haven't done some of these things for a long time, but I thought that the only thing necessary to make the unit network aware is to put the card in and install the turbonet driver by attaching the drive to your pc and using a linux boot cd with the right tools. This, of course, only after you turn your empty drive into a Tivo drive using mfstools or the equivalent. Anyhow, I seem to recall that all I did was follow the instructions supplied at the turbonet website, so I suggest you try the same. By the way, did you do a search on GSOD? It's not supposed to be difficult to resolve, just let your Tivo sit and fix itself over a period of 15 minutes to 2 days, even without the phone line.

I have an empty hard drive. But I am not sure how to initialize it for storage of linux files or make it network aware. All I have to work with is a linux boot cd.
    Get mfstools (2.0, I believe) and follow the instructions on the readme. Turning the drive into a tivo drive is to turn it into a linux box of a certain sort.

I have the drives plus other working DirecTiVos so I could probably create an empty TiVo installation.
    Good, as long as they are the same model.
    Last edited by contemplativo; 06-30-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stew1165
    I have drives with programs recorded before hacking, that I have removed from my DTivo. I have replaced the drives with new ones and have hacked the Dtivo so future recordings will be "extractable". I have printed out AlphaWolf's hard drive extraction instructions but I don't know what any of the FSID's are for the programs on the pre-hacked drives. Does anyone know of a way to determine what the FSID's are so I can begin the extraction process? Or is there a way to just extract all of the programs! Ultimately, I will be extracting them all anyway. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Look for a thread on tmfstream by jonbig. That tool makes things much easier. There's also a small support program by me in the thread that lets you get a list of all your recordings, edit it to remove those you aren't interested in, and then run tmfstream for each recording remaining in the file.

error installing vplay

I'm having a problem getting vplay to work using Mandrake 10.0. I have followed AlphaWolf's instructions from the beginning of the thread. I get the error below. I am NOT Linux inclined, so this is very alien to me, but I need to get some videos off of a bad drive. What does the error mean? I'm wondering if I need to insall gcc compiler. I looked into it, but Linux is just so different from Windows I'm having problems understanding how to install stuff in Linux. Any help would be appreciated.

[dg132@localhost dg132]$ cvs -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot login
    Logging in to server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:2401/cvsroot
    CVS password:
    cvs login: warning: failed to open /home/dg132/.cvspass for reading: No such fil
    e or directory
    [dg132@localhost dg132]$ cvs -z5 -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot co tivo
    cvs checkout: Updating tivo
    cvs checkout: Updating tivo/ethernet
    U tivo/ethernet/3c503.h
    U tivo/ethernet/8390.c
    U tivo/ethernet/8390.h
    U tivo/ethernet/Makefile
    U tivo/ethernet/README
    U tivo/ethernet/TIVOISA.ISP
    U tivo/ethernet/TIVOISA.JED
    U tivo/ethernet/dcr.c
    U tivo/ethernet/dumpdrc.c
    U tivo/ethernet/isr.c
    U tivo/ethernet/probe.c
    U tivo/ethernet/reset.c
    U tivo/ethernet/tcd8390.c
    U tivo/ethernet/tivoether.c
    U tivo/ethernet/tivoisa.h
    U tivo/ethernet/tivone.c
    cvs checkout: Updating tivo/ethernet/ispProgs
    cvs checkout: Updating tivo/guidekit
    U tivo/guidekit/AusTVGuide.pm
    U tivo/guidekit/FoxTVGuide.pm
    U tivo/guidekit/Makefile
    U tivo/guidekit/TivoGuide.pm
    U tivo/guidekit/common.c
    U tivo/guidekit/daily.cron
    U tivo/guidekit/db.pl
    U tivo/guidekit/readguide.c
    U tivo/guidekit/schema.txt
    U tivo/guidekit/slice.h
    U tivo/guidekit/weekly.cron
    U tivo/guidekit/writeguide.c
    cvs checkout: Updating tivo/palkit
    U tivo/palkit/Makefile
    U tivo/palkit/README
    U tivo/palkit/palmod.c
    U tivo/palkit/ukchan-2.5.5.c
    U tivo/palkit/ukchan-2.5.5.o
    U tivo/palkit/ukchan.c
    U tivo/palkit/ukchan.o
    U tivo/palkit/ukchan_grant.c
    U tivo/palkit/ukchan_grant.o
    U tivo/palkit/ustuner-2.5.5.c
    U tivo/palkit/ustuner3.c
    cvs checkout: Updating tivo/vplay
    U tivo/vplay/.cvsignore
    U tivo/vplay/Makefile
    U tivo/vplay/README
    U tivo/vplay/bitmap.c
    U tivo/vplay/crc.c
    U tivo/vplay/export.c
    U tivo/vplay/io.c
    U tivo/vplay/make-preload-schema.pl
    U tivo/vplay/mfs.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs.h
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_bitmap.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_dump.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_dumpobj.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_dumpschema.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_export.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_getslice.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_info.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_ls.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_poke.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_purge.c
    U tivo/vplay/mfs_streams.c
    U tivo/vplay/mkproto.awk
    U tivo/vplay/object.c
    U tivo/vplay/partition.c
    U tivo/vplay/preload_schema.h
    U tivo/vplay/proto.h
    U tivo/vplay/query.c
    U tivo/vplay/schema.c
    U tivo/vplay/schema.txt
    U tivo/vplay/util.c
    U tivo/vplay/vplay.c
    U tivo/vplay/vplayer.c
    U tivo/vplay/vserver.c
    U tivo/vplay/vsplit.c
    [dg132@localhost dg132]$ cd tivo/vplay
    [dg132@localhost vplay]$ make host
    gcc -Wall -g -c mfs.c -o i386/mfs.o
    make: gcc: Command not found
    make: *** [i386/mfs.o] Error 127

cagey: you might want to try mfs_tmfstream (look for its thread). It's a good tool for rescuing recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    cagey: you might want to try mfs_tmfstream (look for its thread). It's a good tool for rescuing recordings.
    Can it be done to a dead drive. One that Tivo is on an endless bootup loop?

Quote Originally Posted by cagey
    So do you have a 'dead' drive or just a tivo in a bootup loop?

A bootup loop is a separate issue.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

The drive is in a bootup loop. And I ran Maxtor's Power Max Utility and it came back with an error code. So, I will be returning the drive for a new one. I can also see the partions on the drive, so I'm trying to extract a few things before returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey
    mfs_tmfstream uses the same functions as vserver, for the most part, so if one of them works, there's a good chance the other will (tmfstream has the added bonuses of working with encrypted streams, restoring some show info, and I've written a trivial program that automates it somewhat)

Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    mfs_tmfstream uses the same functions as vserver, for the most part, so if one of them works, there's a good chance the other will (tmfstream has the added bonuses of working with encrypted streams, restoring some show info, and I've written a trivial program that automates it somewhat)

I am going to read more on the mfs_tmfstreams and I will give it a try.

I re-read the instructions posted by AlphaWolf, and he mentioned making sure all of the developement packages were installed. So I reinstalled Mandrake 10.0 making sure I installed the developement programs, but I got this error message.

[dg132@localhost dg132]$ cd tivo/vplay
    [dg132@localhost vplay]$ make host
    gcc -Wall -g -c mfs.c -o i386/mfs.o
    gcc -Wall -g -c object.c -o i386/object.o
    gcc -Wall -g -c schema.c -o i386/schema.o
    gcc -Wall -g -c query.c -o i386/query.o
    query.c:106: error: conflicting types for `query_object'
    proto.h:29: error: previous declaration of `query_object'
    query.c:28: warning: `memdup' defined but not used
    make: *** [i386/query.o] Error 1

What would cause this error and how can I fix it. Is there a better copy of Linux to use for this? I have Fedora2, but my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work with it (very frustrating!).