Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

Quote Originally Posted by snoots
    So I was looking for a way to get the ty direct without having to manually type in all the FSID's.
    Cut and paste? Run mfs_streams and grep the results to get the show you want, then cut/paste the "part" fsid's into your mfs_stream command line.

I'll have the option of extracting ty+ from a Recording FSID in the next snapshot.

Homer Moment

I will give that a try, I overlooked the obvious for a lazy solution. I am extracting CSI NY over the network now, will compare it to the same show USB'd to the drive using the cut and paste of the FSID's and see how it works out time wise. Thanks for the quick help,

Snoots

Value too large for defined data type

I am using a USB drive hooked to my HR10-250. I can copy using the mfs_uberexport command to the mounted drive which is formatted as ext2 linux. Doing a "ls" gives the above error. Trying to "rm" the file gives the above error. I have googled on this and it appears to be a characteristic of files larger than 2 gig. Does anybody know how to correct this? Would this be a kernel file system problem with the usb/scsi storage drivers ? I have also tried a different extenal usb drive and also tried ext3 filesystem.

I am using a USB drive hooked to my HR10-250. I can copy using the mfs_uberexport command to the mounted drive which is formatted as ext2 linux. Doing a "ls" gives the above error. Trying to "rm" the file gives the above error. I have googled on this and it appears to be a characteristic of files larger than 2 gig. Does anybody know how to correct this? Would this be a kernel file system problem with the usb/scsi storage drivers ? I have also tried a different extenal usb drive and also tried ext3 filesystem.
    Sounds like the rm and ls commands you are using aren't built with large file support. It wasn't clear from your message whether you are running these commands on the TiVo or on your PC. If it's on the TiVO, busybox needs to built with the CONFIG_LFS option. If it's on your PC, probably the explore2fs package you are using (an ext2 file system plug in for windows, as I understand it) doesn't support files larger than 2 GB.

tivo side error

Sorry I was not clear enough. The error message is on the TIVO while telneted in. The files can be exported using the windows extfsexplore program but it does not support writing to the linux partition so you can not delete the files after copying to the pc. When you ls or try to delete the files with the rm command you get the error message on the LINUX box.

BusyBox

I think you are probably correct with the ls and rm commands being an older s2 version. I am currently not running busybox so I am downloading it now to see if it corrects the problem. Thanks for the quick help,

Snoots

Best method to replace old bin commands

Jamie was correct with the solotuion to my problem. See below listing. Installed the AIO utils and using the busybox ls I am good to go. My probably stupid question is what is the best way to remove the obsolete commands. I don't want to kill or remove something the tivo needs from /bin which is where my original s2bins were installed. If I move the /tivo-bin ahead of /bin in the path environment variable will that do the trick ?

bash-2.02# cd /
    bash-2.02# mount /dev/sda2 /usbdrive
    bash-2.02# ls usbdrive
    csi.ty dwarf.ty lost+found
    bash-2.02# ls -al usbdrive
    ls: usbdrive/csi.ty: Value too large for defined data type
    ls: usbdrive/dwarf.ty: Value too large for defined data type
    total 53
    drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 4096 Nov 25 01:58 .
    drwxr-xr-x 21 1048576 24244387 1024 Nov 25 16:57 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 49152 Nov 24 01:48 lost+found
    bash-2.02# /tivo-bin/busybox ls -al /usbdrive
    drwxr-xr-x 21 1048576 -1870528 1024 Nov 25 16:57 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7547650048 Nov 24 04:18 csi.ty
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7230980096 Nov 25 04:02 dwarf.ty
    bash-2.02#

Jamie was correct with the solotuion to my problem. See below listing. Installed the AIO utils and using the busybox ls I am good to go. My probably stupid question is what is the best way to remove the obsolete commands. I don't want to kill or remove something the tivo needs from /bin which is where my original s2bins were installed. If I move the /tivo-bin ahead of /bin in the path environment variable will that do the trick ?
    Yes, just make sure hour hacks directory is in front of /bin:/sbin etc on your PATH.
    Last edited by Jamie; 11-25-2004 at 02:17 PM.

almost there

OK,

Now I can view the files but busybox does not contain an applet for the rm command. Is there a version floating around for s2's that will work ? I did a google search for rm for tivo's, large file support for tivo etc etc. No luck.

bash-2.02# ls -al /usbdrive
    drwxr-xr-x 21 1048576 -1870528 1024 Nov 25 16:57 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7547650048 Nov 24 04:18 csi.ty
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7230980096 Nov 25 04:02 dwarf.ty
    bash-2.02# rm /usbdrive/csi.ty

rm: /usbdrive/csi.ty: Value too large for defined data type
    bash-2.02#

OK,

Now I can view the files but busybox does not contain an applet for the rm command.
    AlphaWolf may have left it out of his busybox compile, but it is included in the busybox sources. The config options are CONFIG_RM and CONFIG_RMDIR.

{Edit: A LFS rm is now in the latest AW's AIO package.}
    Last edited by Jamie; 11-25-2004 at 07:45 PM.

Turkey Day Thanks !!!

I downloaded the sources and was going to work on trying to compile a set on my own either on my PC or on the tivo. Got back from turkey day at Moms' and boom AlphaWolf had already added it at Jamies request ! Thanks a bunch guys my USB drive is now rid of the huge ty files without me having to partitiion it on the PC. Thanks again !!

Snoots

a guiness extra cold to y'all

I was recently asked to upgrade a s1 tivo (circa 2000) with the original 30gig quantum to a new bigger drive. so happens that frys had seagate 120's on sale for 30 bucks. (supposed to be quiet too i hear). booted up from cdrom and the drive was unlocked for me. copied everything over. good so far.

next i was asked to pull a show off the quantum. so i stuck it in my suse 9.1 box as slave and the kernel automatically unlocked it and i was able to pull the show off using the tools linked from the first post in this thread (vplay-bin.tar.gz).

I left dma turned on and set these:
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hdb
    MFS_DEVLIST=/dev/hdb

mfs_ls -lR /Recording/NowShowingByTitle
    pick a fsid and mfs_export <fsid> <filename>

stock kernel 2.6.4 with dma turned on works perfectly.

cheers
    jason

Not to clear

Just read this thread and hope someone can clear things up for me.

S2 Dtivo, RID unit (Hughes sddvr40, upgraded to a 120gb months ago, now full). Scramble has been on. Can I direct extract or not? If so, some pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

All I get is tiny files.

I've followed the direction (as far as I can tell) and I have 2 questions.

1. in the mfs_dumpobj output where are the fsid's in the listing?
    It starts off with fsid 0 is not a directory and then it list lots of lines with UNKNOWN=XXXXXX (various numbers)
    2. If I try to mfs_export the fsid I got from the mfs_ls command (thought I could at least get the first part to see it it works) all I get are little <1K files.

Another post suggests that the fsid's that I'm getting ate the fsid's of the description not the recording parts.

What am I missing. Probably something super obvious

The methods described in this thread are sound, but I believe they pre-date the unified mfs_* package I released. That package incorporates JonBig's package for PC exporting of tmf files.

So here's what I'd suggest:

Grab the mfs_bin.Linux-i686 package here.

Boot linux, unpack the package, and make sure it is on your path.

Get tivopart and run "tivopart r /dev/hDX" for each tivo disk. If you have the kernel patch for tivo partition tables, you don't need to do this.

Export this environment variable to set the device where your tivo disk is installed:
    Code:
     export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hdX
    hdX should be hda for primary master, hdb for primary slave, hdc for secondary master, hdd for secondary slave. I'm assuming a single disk setup, but you can do dual disks too (export MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdX /dev/hdY").

Run mfs_streams to list all the streams available. The left most number is the FSID of the recording object for each stream. The title string is next. Make a note of the FSID's you want.

For each FSID you want to extract, do one of the following:
    • For .tmf format:
      Code:
      mfs_uberexport -txv -R FSID -o NAME.tmf
    • For .ty+ format:
      Code:
      mfs_uberexport -xv -R FSID -o NAME.ty+
    • For .ty format (no metadata):
      Code:
      mfs_uberexport -v -R FSID -o NAME.ty
    where FSID is the desired FSID and NAME is name of the file you want to dump it in.

I suggest .tmf if you plan on reinserting these shows with mfs_ftp.
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-08-2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: i386 => Linux-i686; tivopart link