Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

crc mismatch

Hi-
    I'm trying to extract video from a "dead" HR10-250 drive. (The TiVo entered a boot loop, and wouldn't stop looping even after removing rc.sysinit.author and restoring kernel to 3.1.5d.)
    Some of the videos on the TiVo are encrypted, but most or not. I compiled the vplay / mfs binaries under Debian Woody using libc 2.2.5. Booting from the lba48 MFSTools Boot CD, with my HR10-250 drive as Secondary Slave (HDD), and setting MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdd", I get the following error when I try to run mfs_info:

Found 4 MFS partitions
    crc mismatch len=512 0xffffffff 0xe57ca975
    sector wrong in zone (217140224 -1)

Any ideas? Am I on crack?

So... that was "on crack" then?

Try running

# pdisk -l /dev/hdd

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdd'
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Image Bootstrap 1 4096 @ 77261888 ( 2.0M)
    3: Image Kernel 1 4096 @ 77265984 ( 2.0M)
    4: Ext2 Root 1 262144 @ 77270080 (128.0M)
    5: Image Bootstrap 2 1 @ 77532224
    6: Image Kernel 2 8192 @ 77532225 ( 4.0M)
    7: Ext2 Root 2 262144 @ 77540417 (128.0M)
    8: Swap Linux swap 260096 @ 77802561 (127.0M)
    9: Ext2 /var 262144 @ 78062657 (128.0M)
    10: MFS MFS application region 1048576 @ 78324801 (512.0M)
    11: MFS MFS media region 33100800 @ 44161088 ( 15.8G)
    12: MFS Second MFS application region 1048576 @ 79373377 (512.0M)
    13: MFS Second MFS media region 44161024 @ 64 ( 21.1G)
    14: MFS New MFS Application 1024 @ 80421953
    15: MFS New MFS Media 154017792 @ 80422977 ( 73.4G)
    16: Apple_Free Extra 879 @ 234440769

This will list all the partitions. You need to set MFS_DEVLIST to include all the mfs partitions:

# export MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13 /dev/hdc14 /dev/hdc15 /dev/hdc16"

If you try to run mfs_streams and get an empty list, it's probably because there is a version around that is broken. Jamie is in the process if fixing it.

Cool thanks! I will give that a shot.

Uggghhh... I think I'm hopelessly lost!

Wow... I thought I was kind of smart but after being out of the Linux game for eight years, I'm having a bad time getting a system up and running that can read my drives. I've been scouring this forum for weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any clearer. I hear people say that they spent 18 hours getting a system up and running, but I'm guessing they must be pretty familiar with Linux to begin with.

I downloaded the Debian install as Ivan had described and got "build-essential" installed. I also installed a few other packages to get some familiar tools. However, PDISK does not seem to be on the standard install and I don't see it on the Debian package list. Also, I tried the Sleeper Knoppix Boot CD and it just bombs when I try to start up. I'm just running a plain-jane Dell with no special hardware, so I can't see that as a problem.

Is there any newer image that I can boot from that has everything I need to pull data off a drive pair from a DSR7000 and put it on a drive for later transfer back to the TiVo?

Additionally, I find all sorts of stuff that says don't use Sleeper's tools but people seem to refer to them all of the time. Is there a new bible for prepping a DSR7000 image with all of the latest and greatest stuff?

Oh and another thing... I have a Philips S1 TiVo that's been offline for a year that I would love to grab the content from. Is there anything special about doing that? It would be nice to burn some of it to DVD+RW and watch it or maybe transfer it to my S2 DirecTiVo to watch. What's my best bet?

Thanks in advance for the help! And sorry for being so dense.

Chuck

cant get vserver to compile

i got a hard drive and did the insane (everything) install of redhat 8.0 (wanted to be as close to the orginal os as i could for the instructions at the start of this thread) and i am having an issue getting vplay to compile keep getting the error

make host
    gcc -Wall -g -c mfs.c -o i386/mfs.o
    gcc -Wall -g -c object.c -o i386/object.o
    gcc -Wall -g -c schema.c -o i386/schema.o
    gcc -Wall -g -c query.c -o i386/query.o
    query.c:106: conflicting types for `query_object'
    proto.h:29: previous declaration of `query_object'
    query.c:28: warning: `memdup' defined but not used
    make: *** [i386/query.o] Error 1
    [root@localhost vplay]#

the amount of coding i can do wont fit on a pin head, so i have no clue, but i have about 70 hours of shows i would like to save, but cant seem to get passed this step. and needless to say im out of space and have 4 hrs of shows i want to save tommorrow.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    My .02 cents, yours may vary by inflation

update

ok i got a copy of the source from the murrys site and was able to use mfs_export to get a stream, but they are all the same size, both a 2 hr movie and a 1 hour tv show are the same size. am i doing something wrong?

./mfs_export 1906151 /root/vid/sa_suspicion.ty
    is the command line that i used

my export looks like this (tivo HD is second master drive)

export MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc10"
    export MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdc"

and mfs_info then shows

./mfs_info
    Found 6 MFS partitions
    Super:
    state=0 magic=abbafeed
    devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15
    zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=159901696 next_fsid=132
    backup_zonemap_ptr=ffffe zonemap_size=1
    /dev/hdc has 160835584 sectors

and my end product looks like

ls -pal
    total 1574420
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 12 14:27 ./
    drwxr-x--- 22 root root 4096 Nov 12 14:21 ../
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 536870912 Nov 12 14:26 heavy_metal.ty
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 536870912 Nov 12 14:22 pump_up_the_volume.ty
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 536870912 Nov 12 14:28 sa_suspicion.ty

?????????

any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_333
    I downloaded the Debian install as Ivan had described and got "build-essential" installed. I also installed a few other packages to get some familiar tools. However, PDISK does not seem to be on the standard install and I don't see it on the Debian package list. Also, I tried the Sleeper Knoppix Boot CD and it just bombs when I try to start up. I'm just running a plain-jane Dell with no special hardware, so I can't see that as a problem.

Is there any newer image that I can boot from that has everything I need to pull data off a drive pair from a DSR7000 and put it on a drive for later transfer back to the TiVo?

Additionally, I find all sorts of stuff that says don't use Sleeper's tools but people seem to refer to them all of the time. Is there a new bible for prepping a DSR7000 image with all of the latest and greatest stuff?

Oh and another thing... I have a Philips S1 TiVo that's been offline for a year that I would love to grab the content from. Is there anything special about doing that? It would be nice to burn some of it to DVD+RW and watch it or maybe transfer it to my S2 DirecTiVo to watch. What's my best bet?
    I was able to use a standard Fedora installation to do what you are trying to do. You need to get tivopart, which is available from this forum (sorry I don't have the link handy).

# tivopart r /dev/hd* < where * = c or d , etc.>

will allow you to access the tivo disk(s). pdisk is also a utility you can get from this forum.

I have been using the mfs utilities (in vplay) and mfs_ftp to pull shows off my Phillips S1 and put them on my S2 D-tivo. Unfortunately there are copies of the mfs utilities going around that are broken. Jamie has been fixing them: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38654
    Last edited by jbuehl; 11-13-2004 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ace351
    ok i got a copy of the source from the murrys site and was able to use mfs_export to get a stream, but they are all the same size, both a 2 hr movie and a 1 hour tv show are the same size. am i doing something wrong?
    You should use mfs_tmfstream to extract an entire show. A show consists of an fsid that contains the information about the show (title, recording time, etc.) which points to one or more fsids that contain the actual video. mfs_export will only move a single fsid, which are always the same size and will just contain a chunk of video, and not the show information. The documentation on these utilities isn't too clear, so it's hard to know which fsid to use.

Quote Originally Posted by jbuehl
    You should use mfs_tmfstream to extract an entire show. A show consists of an fsid that contains the information about the show (title, recording time, etc.) which points to one or more fsids that contain the actual video. mfs_export will only move a single fsid, which are always the same size and will just contain a chunk of video, and not the show information. The documentation on these utilities isn't too clear, so it's hard to know which fsid to use.
    documentation is defiantly a little ruff, i gave up on this and ordered the cache/network card and hope to have it tuesday, but the install docs on the stardust forum and barren for a newbie, and i thought i had done well eXtreeming a drive last year. i hope to revisit this project in a few weeks for the other s1 tivo i have, have a few shows i want off of it but im not in as much of a time crunch for it.

i try and extract an FSID 256909 via mfs_extract 256909 /mnt/c and it says it completed but the file is only 988 bytes, any idea on how i can fix it?

-Dan

./mfs_export 265909 /mnt/c/test.ty

Found 6 mfs partitions
    exporting fsid 256909 of size 988 to /mnt/c/test.ty
    starting at 0 for 988 bytes

then it goes back to the prompt

Quote Originally Posted by danss
    i try and extract an FSID 256909 via mfs_extract 256909 /mnt/c and it says it completed but the file is only 988 bytes, any idea on how i can fix it?
    I gave a detailed reply here.

Questions using external USB drive transfers to PC

I have been able to follow the information posted for USB 2.0 on my HR10-250. I have an external USB drive with a Linux partition set up. I have been able to pull single FSID's using mfs_export, last night I tried mfs_tmfstream and pulled a whole HD show. I used explore2fs to move it to the pc. My problem is that winrar gives me errors extracting the ty files from the tmf. Is there a simple way with the USB mounted on the tivo to pull the whole show with one command without having to piece the individual FSID's together ? My thoughts were that the USB drive would be faster than using my network and the usual HDtytools. Any one have better idea ? Using the network to extract seems to be very slow. I do realize that the shows are HUGE. Just trying to speed things up a bit. One more question. I partitiioned the drive with 2 80 gig partitions, one linux one windows fat32. The tivo can mount the windows partition but can I write files bigger than 2 gig to it ? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by snoots
    I have been able to follow the information posted for USB 2.0 on my HR10-250. I have an external USB drive with a Linux partition set up. I have been able to pull single FSID's using mfs_export, last night I tried mfs_tmfstream and pulled a whole HD show. I used explore2fs to move it to the pc. My problem is that winrar gives me errors extracting the ty files from the tmf. Is there a simple way with the USB mounted on the tivo to pull the whole show with one command without having to piece the individual FSID's together ? My thoughts were that the USB drive would be faster than using my network and the usual HDtytools. Any one have better idea ? Using the network to extract seems to be very slow. I do realize that the shows are HUGE. Just trying to speed things up a bit. One more question. I partitiioned the drive with 2 80 gig partitions, one linux one windows fat32. The tivo can mount the windows partition but can I write files bigger than 2 gig to it ? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks !
    Look at the link to the detailed reply in my previous post. It has the command you need to dump multiple fsid's in one command.

You're doing better than me with usb-storage. I've tried similar things to what you're doing, but it seems to hang my tivo regularly. Same usb drive works fine on my x86 linux system.

I think you are right that you'll run into a 2GB (or is it 4GB?) file size limit with fat32.

USB Storage

I have more problems with stuttering live tv using tytools to extract than pulling using mfs_tmfstreams. My problem seems to be with the tmf file as winrar doesn't like it. So I was looking for a way to get the ty direct without having to manually type in all the FSID's. It looked to me like the only way was tmfstream which winrar choked on.