Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a try tonight.

Many Thanx

It worked perfectly. My wife thanks you

One other tip for those as linux chalanged as I am. if you do a
    Code:
    mfs_streams > ShowList.txt
    Then when you get back to windows you can print your fsid's for easier reference.

Dual drive . . ?

I want to pull a bunch of shows off a S2 DTivo unit that is unhacked (scrambled recordings) and plan to follow Jamie's post. [when I'm done, I'm going to blow it away and upgrade to 4.0, as I've done w/ another s2dtivo].

Unfortunately my tivo has two drives and I can't find any info about how to set my linux environment to recognize two married drives.

Does anyone know what modification to these steps I'll have to take?

[edit!]

I almost forgot! Can I do this w/ my regular Fedora Core 3 install, or do I need to use a Hinsdale, etc boot disk?

Thanks
    Last edited by oldbastivo; 02-26-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbastivo
    I want to pull a bunch of shows off a S2 DTivo unit that is unhacked (scrambled recordings) and plan to follow Jamie's post. [when I'm done, I'm going to blow it away and upgrade to 4.0, as I've done w/ another s2dtivo].

Unfortunately my tivo has two drives and I can't find any info about how to set my linux environment to recognize two married drives.

Does anyone know what modification to these steps I'll have to take?
    Short answer "MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdA /dev/hdB" where A and B are the correct letters for your A and B drive positions on your IDE channels.

Longer answer: see the README.MFS_DEVICE in the mfs_* package. Here's an excerpt:
    1) You have an A and possibly a B TiVo disk connected to your linux PC.

AAA is the block device file for the A disk (e.g. /dev/hdc or /dev/sda).
    BBB is the block device file for the B disk (optional).

export MFS_DEVICE="AAA BBB"

The code will look for an MFS superblock on partition 10 of device
    AAA and use the devlist there, substituting AAA for the A drive and
    BBB for the B drive.

Your linux kernel must recognize the TiVo partition tables on your
    disks for this option to work. The tivopart program, available on
    DDB, can help with this. Alternatively, use a linux kernel that
    has been modified to recognize the tivo partition tables. Most
    linux ISO images customized for use with TiVo disks should have
    this modification.
    [edit!]

I almost forgot! Can I do this w/ my regular Fedora Core 3 install, or do I need to use a Hinsdale, etc boot disk?
    FC3 should be fine (that's what I run), but you'll need to run "tivopart r" on each tivo disk to inform the kernel of the linux partition tables.
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-26-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Jamie, you're the man!

Thanks for the immediate reply! I was just feeling guilty about the post, as I only just found this thread:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ht=mfs_devlist
    in which you walk someone through the use of their fedora install for FSID discovery.

Thanks again for the replay ... fortunately, I expect a lot of the pitfalls in the other thread, since I not only have fc3 installed, I actually use it :-P

You rock!

Thanks again for the replay ... fortunately, I expect a lot of the pitfalls in the other thread, since I not only have fc3 installed, I actually use it :-P
    I should point out that scrambled shows aren't going to be very useful after you extract them. You might want to look at the s2_unscramble stuff to unscramble them on the tivo before you extract.

I had hoped there would be some way to unscramble them w/ an x86 port of the unscramble util, but I suppose I should have looked into that a bit more...

Well, if I have to comprimise the box to unscramble there, I might as well populate the FSIDs there too. I'll still pull the drive for the extraction to save copy time.

Thanks for the heads up

I had hoped there would be some way to unscramble them w/ an x86 port of the unscramble util, but I suppose I should have looked into that a bit more...
    If you can get a PC unscramble solution to work, please tell us about it :-)

Note that if the end goal is to get 4.0.1b installed and save your recordings, it may be possible to upgrade via slices to do that. Search around a bit. Not my particular expertice, but I know there is info about it.

Sanity Check Before Taking Old TiVo Temporarily Offline

I have an old DSR6000 that I have 2.5extreme on with xPlusZ loaded on it. It has two drives...the original 40GB drive and a secondary 80GB drive. I have some old hockey games, recorded scrambled, that I want to do a one-time extraction of. I do not have a ethernet card, so I will be attempting a PC side extraction.

I've figured out the unscramble part of the process and have tested the extraction of a small test .TY file through the serial cable (i.e. ran unscramble.o, primed the show I wanted to extract, use mfs_uberexport to create a small ~50MB .TY file on the /var partion, and then sz'd (slow) it to my PC). I have tested the resultant .TY file in TyTools and everything came out OK.

Now I'm ready to remove the drives and attach it to my PC, boot linux and extract using Jamie's instructions HERE as a base for how to accomplish the extraction.

I have two drives, and will probably install those as TiVo_A = Secondary Master and TiVo_B = Secondary Slave. So, when I boot to Linux, I'll need to:
    Code:
    export MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc /dev/hdd"
    correct? I'll also need to set up MFS_DEVLIST. However, the current TiVo disks don't have pdisk on it. So, how can I tell what I need to enter in for:
    Code:
    export MFS_DEVLIST="/???/??? /???/??? /???/??? /???/???"
    Will *any* standard TiVo Linux boot ISO have pdisk on it so that I can run the command and determine the DEVLIST partions? What is currently the best ISO image boot disk to use for old (non-LBA48) S1 drives? I think that I used the original MFS_Tools_2.0 disk and the 2.5extreme image.

The only other thing that I'm concerned with is the disk that I will be copying the files over to. Since the extracted hockey games are probably at least 3+ hours, can I expect them to be more that 2GB (even if they are Standard Def)? If so, will I run into any problems if the "extract to" disk is formatted FAT? You can't mount NTFS, right (or is that just for mfsbackup)? Any help with making sure I won't have problems with large extraction files would help!

Other than that, I think I ready to give it a shot! Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by mikeaco; 03-09-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Couple of things... you only need MFS_DEVICE or MFS_DEVLIST, not both. If you're extracting directly from your Tivo HD, you use MFS_DEVICE. If you have dd'ed the mfs partitions out to files, you would use MFS_DEVLIST.

Regarding the FAT FS and the 2Gig limit... yeah, I ran into that problem too. You can either extract the parts individually or do what I did... use an ext2 filesystem to store the extracted recordings. It's mountable, writable, and doesn't have the 2Gig limit. (I think the actual file-size limit on ext2 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 Terabytes?)

Also, I had great success using the knoppix live CD to do the extraction. It was able to mount all of my FS types (even the Tivo, with tivopart), has networking enabled, you can layer your console sessions on top of each other in X-Windows instead of constantly flipping through them in text mode, and it seemed to do the extraction a lot faster than the PTVUpgrade LBA-48 CD I was using previously.

Since you have an S1 however, I'm not sure how the byte-swap issue will affect you if you use a non-byte-swap-aware distro. Seems to me that the new mfs_* toolset handles that internally now, so the worst outcome would be that you wouldn't be able to mount the non-mfs partitions, but for simple extraction that's a moot point.
    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Thanks, psxboy, for giving me some pointers in the right direction. I'll have to look, but hopefully I can create the ext2 filesystem (i.e. format the destination drive) using the Knoppix live CD. I don't have a Linux system to boot the drive to beforehand.

Almost there! I can't wait to have the Red Wings / Avs playoff series from 2002 archived to DVD...especially games 6 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeaco
    I'll have to look, but hopefully I can create the ext2 filesystem (i.e. format the destination drive) using the Knoppix live CD. I don't have a Linux system to boot the drive to beforehand.
    Code:
    mke2fs [device]
    (ie. mke2fs /dev/hdc1)
    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Thanks psxboy! It took a little while, but I finally got things going.

First, I only had a spare HDD that was being used as a "data" only disk in a Windoze system. It was NTFS formated, but had a lot of free space on it. I tried to repartition it in Linux, but had problems becuase the NTFS partition took up the whole drive. I didn't spend much time figuring out if some Linux utility could access and resize the partition. So, I booted back into Windoze and used Partition Magic to reduce the NTFS partition and add a Linux ext2 partition. I was then able to boot up Linux and mount the newley created partition (hopefully preserving the NTFS partition and data).

Next, I put the two TiVo drives in the PC and booted. I tried several Linux boot disks (Knoppix Live, Knoppix Lite, PTV-LBA48-4.0), but could not get pdisk to recognize the TiVo drive partion tables. After reading up a bit, I surmized that the disks were booting up without swap enabled. It took a while to figure out how to configure bswap at boot. I actually ended up using the PTV-large-ISO that has a vmlinux or vmlnodma kernel boot options (does the Knoppix boot disks have this option? I know the PTV-LBA48-4.0 does not).

Finally, I was able to see the TiVo disk partition tables and use the mfs_* utilities to extract the FSID's I wanted. There was one small hitch to that...I somehow mistakenly initially used the ppc mfs_* binaries and not the i386 ones. So, that took a bit to figure out.

Well, I'm extracting now. Hopefully, the resulting files will not have any problems. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by mikeaco; 03-10-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Direct re-insertion

So a few months back a few posters have said that direct insertion was not possible. Is that still the case today? If so, what needs to be done to get direct insertion to happen? In my case, I want to use re-insert the streams back to a new drive that I am replacing for my tivo so I don't really care about being able to view the streams in a different tivo unit.

I did look at mfs_import but it looks like it still requires something running on the tivo itself to create an fsid? That makes it non-direct.......... Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by joepistritto
    So a few months back a few posters have said that direct insertion was not possible. Is that still the case today? If so, what needs to be done to get direct insertion to happen? In my case, I want to use re-insert the streams back to a new drive that I am replacing for my tivo so I don't really care about being able to view the streams in a different tivo unit.
    Yes, insertion currently depends on tivosh code to allocate streams and manipulate MFS tyDB objects describing the recordings. There is a very limited write capability in the tridge mfs library, but it isn't sufficient to do these things.

It should be possible to produce a tivosh script to do all the allocation on the tivo, then move the disk back to a PC to do the actual stream insertion there. Don't know of anyone that does this.

PC-linux to tivo transfers with mfs_ftp over a usb2 host-to-host cable are pretty fast (7MB/sec). That's the fastest way I know of to do bulk transfers of shows.