Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

Re: Grabbed file with mfs_extract, but what did I get?

Originally posted by KalTorak

Started up TyStudio Editor, opened the local 39540.ty file, and... nothing. Says "failed to load the selected Ty file", and that's that.

So... Did I, in fact, grab a Ty file? Do I need to somehow connect the pieces before I use TyStudio to see them? Could I have a scrambling Tivo (how do I know??)

Help - thanks!
    I could be wrong, but that sounds like the error you would get if you recorded the program scrambled. Did you in fact have the scrambling turned off (with a hack)?

ew

Nope; I've only thought scrambling applied to the DirecTiVos.

CRAP.

IIRC, all the series 2 Tivos use scrambling. Just something I remember reading, I don't own one.

ew

KalTorak:

Scrambling Issues: Archiving, Restore & Mpeg conversion has info on what you can currently do with those scrambled recordings.

s1 streams are decryptable now, the s2 util is still in development. if you back them up as tmf you'll be able to restore-decrypt when the s2 version works
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-21-2003 at 05:23 PM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

What happened to the thread you mentioned above rc?

More TiVo 'intervention' ?

NutKase

[EDIT] Here's the link to the newly rebuilt Scrambling Issues: Archiving, Restore & Mpeg conversion
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-21-2003 at 02:56 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

I have a series 1 stand-alone (not networked) tivo. It is a 30 hour unit with an additional 80Gig upgrade. Appears to be running system 3.0-01-1-000. After reading and searching through the forum I decided to extract a saved recording. I partitioned my computer and installed RedHat 7.1 and the gcc compiler and vplay. Then I hooked up both tivo drives as slaves and did the following operations:

From within the i386 folder

#export MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdb /dev/hdd"

#export MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hdb2 /dev/hdb3"

#./mfs_ls "/Recording/NowShowingByTitle"

RESULT
    Found 2 MFS partitions
    WARNING: total sectors doesn't match (total=57699328 sb=217780224)
    dir:fsid = 1189998 count=33

fsid type name
    2268406 tyDb 1:SECRETS:87600:31601:2268406

(it showed a big list but that's the file I want to get)

#./mfs_export 2268406 secret.ty

RESULT
    Found 2 MFS partitions
    WARNING: total sectors doesn't match (total=57699328 sb=217780224)

exporting FSID 2268406 of size 956 to secret.ty
    starting at 0 for 956 bytes

Just for fun I tried to open the file once I got it back into winxp with TyShow but it won't go. I'm thinking it should at least a few hundred megs and not 956. So where did I mess up or what do I need to extract this file?

that's the fsid of the recording object (title, description, etc) you need the fsids of the recording parts

easiest way to do that will be connect a serial cable to the tivo & run a script like nowshowing that will dump them, or dig through the info you dumped with a hex editor as described earlier in the thread
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Extracting video from MFS into the tivo filesystem

allmost exactly the same topic as Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

use mfs_export, mfs_stream, extractsream, whatever floats your boat to extract a recording locally. unless there's a network mount (nfs/samba) mapped into the tivo filesystem you need enough non-mfs space to save the recording (oversize var, repartitioned drive, another drive)

here's a little utility - unscramble.tcl - originally written for something else that has a list option to generate fsid numbers usable for extraction - including deleted but recoverable
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-24-2003 at 06:55 AM.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    If you back them up as tmf you'll be able to restore-decrypt when the s2 version works
    So is there any way to back up to TMF format from a tivo drive directly attached to a PC? I can extract as .ty, but since my drives won't boot, I can't run mfs_ftp.

Alternatively, is there an easy conversion back from .ty to .tmf? I recognize I'd lose the title, description & such and have to replace them with generic stuff.

Extracting to .TMF

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig
    So is there any way to back up to TMF format from a tivo drive directly attached to a PC? I can extract as .ty, but since my drives won't boot, I can't run mfs_ftp.
    Never mind. I did a bit more searching, and found info that mfs_ftp *can* reinsert a .ty file back to a TiVo, it just loses the detailed show information.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig
    Never mind. I did a bit more searching, and found info that mfs_ftp *can* reinsert a .ty file back to a TiVo, it just loses the detailed show information.
    keep reading. you can create ty+ easily via direct extraction, & they do contain all the detailed info. you could create tmf, it'd just be a bit more work
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    keep reading. you can create ty+ easily via direct extraction, & they do contain all the detailed info. you could create tmf, it'd just be a bit more work
    Hmmm. There weren't too many hits searching on "ty+", and most of them were with mfs_ftp, and none with direct extraction. Mfs_ftp doesn't help me working with an unbootable TiVo drive.

I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about the tivo filesystem, but you post about attached storage has got me thinking. Can you add some sort of removable drive to the second ide connector on a two drive tivo (a big drive, some sort of dockable HDD) and extract video from the MFS filesystem to a FAT32 (or some other) partition, then dock this drive into another TiVo or a PC?
    Last edited by AVD; 12-27-2003 at 07:56 PM.

direct extraction PC => TiVo

According to this thread i can mount a TiVo drive in a PC and have access to the MFS filesystem.

Now, can I run some version of MFS_FTP on the linix PC so I can transfer video to another TiVo? If this TiVo was built on a MFStool restore of the image of the drive in the PC (backed up without video) would help with the insertion of shows?

I want to juice up my 30 hour SA S1 TiVo, but don't want to wait to transfer video using mfstools.

include "removable" & "sled" in your search paramaters, oughta turn up lots of ways folks have figured to do it

usb hdd is the easiest so far (well, after running a dvd burner that is)
    ---