Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've got a life.
    boy howdy, know whatcha mean make sure the readme is airtight or you'll spend 100x the time answering dumb questions as writing the util in the first place...
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

i386: last step export trouble.

tivo series 2, software 4.x, pulled tivo's 80gb harddrive, and connected it into an external usb enclosure, which mounts as /dev/sda under mandrake 9.2. (works great! allows connecting and disconnecting of the drive!)

first, thanks for all the info and software. I downloaded the latest vplay sources (Sep 2002, I think), fixed the line-spanning usage strings in the .c source for gcc, recompiled the source, and exported the two MFS_* variables.

I can now obtain fsid numbers via
    $ mgs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByBucketTitle/
    and all my recordings show up by name, with a nice fsid in the first column. (I cannot interpret all the other fields.)

Alas,
    $ msg_export fsid destination.ty
    seems to give me files of around 1K in size, only. now, I know that my shows are bigger than that!! ;-). mfs_streams does not work, but I read somewhere that it is supposed to be broken.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get the full show into one .ty file? does someone have a wrapper that queries show by show and does the rest of the extraction for each show automatically?

regards,

/ivo

mfs_tmfstream status

I know I sort of promised that I'd finish and release my mfs_tmfstream tool this last weekend, but my Linux machine spent most of the weekend in pieces, which makes it rather hard to edit or compile code.

Hang in there, this weekend should be less, um, busy.

I know I sort of promised that I'd finish and release my mfs_tmfstream tool this last weekend, but my Linux machine spent most of the weekend in pieces, which makes it rather hard to edit or compile code.

Hang in there, this weekend should be less, um, busy.
    Hi Jonbig,
    I guess most of us have been there. ... only a small fix ... and than we spend 2 weeks fixing something we did not want to mess with in the first place. Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by iaw4
    Alas,
    $ msg_export fsid destination.ty
    seems to give me files of around 1K in size, only. now, I know that my shows are bigger than that!! ;-).
    It looks like you are exporting the show fsid... you need to use the fsids for the recorded chunks.
    (I also assume you meant mfs_export and mfs_ls)
    Last edited by BTUx9; 01-13-2004 at 09:22 PM.

ok, sorry if this seems dumb, but..

i'm trying to extract from a failing single drive from a 3.1 s2 dtivo. which of the mfs_* variables is supposed to have the drive name, and which is supposed to have the partitions? all i get is the "not a tivo superblock (0x35313537)" (numbers may not be exact, but all four bytes are 3x something).

ideas?

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder
    i'm trying to extract from a failing single drive from a 3.1 s2 dtivo. which of the mfs_* variables is supposed to have the drive name, and which is supposed to have the partitions? all i get is the "not a tivo superblock (0x35313537)" (numbers may not be exact, but all four bytes are 3x something).

ideas?

ronny
    Are you using tivopart to correctly load the apple partition, or a patched linux kernel, or are you using a tivo-specific boot CD? If you don't use one of those methods, the partition info isn't read properly by linux (because tivo doesn't use a standard apple partition). A good test is to try to mount your root partition. If that succeeds, linux is probably seeing the partitions correctly.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BTUx9; 01-16-2004 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    Are you using tivopart to correctly load the apple partition, or a patched linux kernel, or are you using a tivo-specific boot CD? If you don't use one of those methods, the partition info isn't read properly by linux (because tivo doesn't use a standard apple partition). A good test is to try to mount your root partition. If that succeeds, linux is probably seeing the partitions correctly.

Hope this helps.
    Actually, I had the same problem when my twin 120GB drives died in my HDVR2. One of them developed back blocks, and when the TiVo hung, it corrupted the superblock, writing ascii digits over the top of just the magic number. I had to hack the code in mfs.c to work around the problem while I was developing my mfs_tmfstream tool.

I was able to extract most of the recordings on those disks and upload them back to my HDVR2 with different drives.

RonnyThunder: Sorry, I didn't answer your actual question.
    MFS_DEVLIST is the env. variable that holds the list of MFS partitions.

thanks jonbig, i'll give that a try. i'm using a knockoff of the mfstools 2.0 disk that has a lba48 kernel (my bad drive is a 160gb actually being used as a 160, i.e. tivo has a lba48 kernel).

ronny

Direct extraction from a tivo drive in a pc (not networked)

woo-hoo! great news, it's working. i tried to copy the disk to another 160gb, but it was spewing errors on every sector once i got about 2/3 of the way into the disk. i gave up on the copy and just started in with the mfs_ls, dumpobj and export, and it's working great so far.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    if you were running mfs_ftp prior to the crash the fsid numbers will be in /dev/hda9 /mfs_ftp/cache/recname.pts
    I'm having trouble with this-- I'm attempting to recover some shows from a 3.1 DirecTiVo Series 1 that crapped out, and I was running mfs_ftp. With the drives in the PC, I navigate to my mfs_ftp/cache directory, and it's empty. Aside from the vplay method, is there any other way to obtain FSIDs?

Quote Originally Posted by DPlatt
    I'm having trouble with this-- I'm attempting to recover some shows from a 3.1 DirecTiVo Series 1 that crapped out, and I was running mfs_ftp. With the drives in the PC, I navigate to my mfs_ftp/cache directory, and it's empty. Aside from the vplay method, is there any other way to obtain FSIDs?
    This worked for me:

mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByTitle

This worked for me:

mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByTitle
    this will give you the shows in alphabetical order; if you do "mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByClassic", you can get them in date-recorded order, but there's no titles. with a little crude scripting, you can get the titles in date-recorded order; here's what i used iirc:

for i in `./mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByClassic | cut -b 1-12`
    do
    ./mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByTitle 2> /dev/null | grep $i
    done

it's cheesy, but it works.

ronny

I am investigating my failing drive and there is still a ton of valid data in the MFS Media Region but it seems, that most of the MFS application region is dead. Is there any way to extract shows without the MFS application region ? Or is this like repairing an old FAT file system with the FAT being destroyed, that you have all the individual blocks, but no other hint of what belongs together and in what sequence ?

Looking for help
    Kevin