Thread: ReplayTV Service Activation Hacking

ReplayTV Service Activation Hacking

i wasn't sure where to post this, but this forum seemed the most active so i thought i'd throw it in here.

in light of the recent bankruptcy announcement by SonicBlue, i was wondering where i can get more info on hacking the ReplayTV subscription service and/or guide info.

i just don't want to be stuck w/ a doorstop in a few months .

sturmie

This isn't really the correct forum for posting your question since we deal with hacking Tivos and not ReplayTVs. The ReplayTV forum at the AVS Forums is probably to most active forum for ReplayTV hacking. I wouldn't expect to find an answer to your question over there either since it's pretty much a forbidden topic. Hacking any PVR for the express purpose of theft of service is not allowed in any forum that I know of. I'd be willing to bet that some company will eventually pick up the Replay service. If not, I would imagine that SonicBlue will at least have to support it for a certain amount of time, but that may simply be wishful thinking on my part. Just because a company files for bankruptcy doesn't always mean that they will go out of business. I don't know all of the details of SonicBlue's situation so I can't say for sure either way. I doubt if anybody really knows what will happen at this point. If you're really concerned then why not unload your Replay on ebay and get yourself a Tivo? Tivo doesn't show any signs of going out of business any time soon. If you get a DirecTivo then you should be safe since DTV handles all of the DTivo services (i.e. both DTV and DVR subs).
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    The ReplayTV forum at the AVS Forums is probably to most active forum for ReplayTV hacking. I wouldn't expect to find an answer to your question over there either since it's pretty much a forbidden topic.
    yeah, it is....kinda why i didn't want to ask over there. i heard from a Tivo friend that this board talks about hackin sub services now and then, so i figured i'd give it a shot....just tryin to cover myself if something were to happen.

Originally posted by captain_video
    If you're really concerned then why not unload your Replay on ebay and get yourself a Tivo?
    i like the ease of use of the ReplayTV and the onboard NIC....i've been dabblin w/ DVD authoring/burning and it's nice to be able to bring shows across the network easily and play w/ em.

thanks for the info, i was just wondering if there was a site someone could direct me to for gettin the RTV guide/sub in case of an emergency.

sturmie

With only a little bit of hacking, you can pretty much do the same thing with a Tivo. If you have a DTivo, you'll also notice a better picture since you're extracting the original DTV data stream. I understand what you mean about the Replay. I used to have two of them, although they were the pre-networked models (i.e. before SonicBlue). I liked the interface better than Tivo at the time but the Tivo kind of grows on you so it's not really all that bad. The one thing I liked most was the grid-style guide which the SA Tivos lacked. The DTivos also have the DTV grid-style guide so I'm a happy camper now.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!