Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: dtivo locals - The one, the ONLY

rc3015

How many different markets are you working with? I have been playing with a clean install of 2.5Xtreme followed by 2.5.2Xtreme I can use midupdate.tcl to set the market id for one of my local markets and yes the guide data will fill in and I can view the channels. Then I use midupdate.tcl to reset the market id to the second market I wish and reboot the receiver and those channels appear and the guide data will fill in. I can repeat that process for all 4 local markets I am able to receive. The problem come when I try to run mvchannel.tcl at that point I will only get one or 2 sets of the locals with guide date If I have the market id set for any of the 3 other markets except CH then I will receive CH and that market. If I have the market id set for CH I will only receive CH.So it seems that we need to be able to set multiple market id's at the same tome or figure out some workaround that will remove that requirement.
    Last edited by peters62; 04-10-2003 at 12:42 AM.
    -peters62-

It is prior to a hard drive crash I was using 2.5Xtreme with mvchannels for a very long time with all 4 sets of locals working with guide data. Since the upgrade to 2.5.2Xtreme best I have been able to get is 2 set with guide data. this has been since last Sunday. I deceided to upgrade to 2.5.2Xtreme since I suffered from occasional lockups and reboots and some people have had less problems with that using 2.5.2
    -peters62-

Originally posted by hand
    On April 8, the following cities have been added to the list of cities that require its MarketId set in order for its channels to show up in the guide:
    [followed by list]

This is the _only_ recent change, as far as I can see, and I believe it accounts for all the recent problem reports except for random user error.

I believe the same principles are still valid. Just _more_ "problematical" cities involved, as you have reported. So I'm going to restate these principles:

1. With OS 2.5 you can get all your non-problematical spotbeams and national 101 markets (NY/LA) with good, long-lasting guide data. Set each city up (after an initial cleanout if needed) one at a time with midupdate.tcl, wait for the guide data, reboot. After you're finished use selectlocals.tcl (or equivalent) to select the entire list. As you lose guide data after awhile, refresh by adding that city again and rerunning the list.

2. With 2.5.2 you can do the above and also get ONE of the problematical markets (the 119s or the affected 101s), but the guide data doesn't stay long enough to be practical. 2.5.2 is for one-market, as far as I'm concerned. Probably the same for 3.1 though I gave up on that months ago and maybe somebody has made progress there. I doubt it.

3. With 2.5 you lose your problematical market, period, even if that's the ONLY one you get and you're completely legit (other than still running 2.5). The solution remains upgrading to 2.52 or 3.1 THEN erasing guides & todos (you have to do BOTH, either one alone will not do it). Now DTV has also screwed up many 2.5.2 and 3.1 totally-unhacked accounts at the same time with their horsing around with these problematical local markets. In this case if you're at 2.5.2, the solution is the same: upgrade & erase guide/todo. If you're already at 3.1 there is no dependable, repeatable solution I have found other than a complete start all over. They'll fool around with voodoo with you on the phone, they'll send you new cards, they'll promise an update is coming along to fix it, but the fact is they've hosed your system; you have to either upgrade/erase or totally reinstall the OS.

4. Obviously there are additional (DTV hacking) issues involved in the practical application of some of the above principles: local bytes, zipcodes and marketids. The principles I have talked about above and many times before are _in addition to_ the proper handling of these issues, which function somewhat differently in the DTivo environment than they do in other DTV receivers.

5. Remember that people were having troubles with locals LONG BEFORE DTV started this specific mess in February 2003. Your problem may be an older one, standard user error, or your situation may be complicated and compounded by BOTH the current, marketid-based problem, PLUS some other older problem or mistake.

As I've said, the Golden Age of multiple local markets has ended. To me there was endless fascination in sampling local-origination talk-shows and local features (usually at 6:30 am) from all over the country. It's been enriching.

End of Xtreme?

I upgraded to 2.52 then 3.1. Still no locals

All legit sub and tivo account. I want telent, FTP, and video extraction. All stuff I should have because I pay for it!

At this point, I'm thinking the only way to get my locals back is to put my original 2.5 hard drive in the system and see what happens, probably upgrade to 3.1 and I loose all of the good stuff. No point to the good stuff if I cannot get my LEGAL locals. Not trying to get anyone else's.

This was fun for about a year.

Kinda reminds me of "dating out of your class". You know it's going to end some time.

Re: End of Xtreme?

Originally posted by TiVoByte
    I upgraded to 2.52 then 3.1. Still no locals
    If you upgraded, then cleared program data and to do list, and you are otherwise good to go ("pure" card & subscription or the equivalent), and _still_ don't get your locals, then your experience is different than mine, on a large number of DTivos I own and get involved with.

As recently as last night, the process still works for me.

I'm in NY, never used a hacked card or any channels script but am using extreme 2.5.1

I don't want to have to do a clear and delete. If I upgrade to 2.5.2 before Directv requires the market code in my area should I be OK? Wonder if it might be better to hook up a phone, let Directv upgrade me and then add the hacks. I would think this would increase the chance of keeping my settings and programs.

I am unclear; most of the people positing seem to be using "special cards" and scripts to get extra locals. Will I also have this problem (when the market code is required in NY).

HMmm,

Somewhere along the line the original question got lost or maybe it is me thats lost.

What is it gonna take to get the paid for locals back on a dsr6000 with a p4 card

Am now at 2.5.1 with xplusz and a hardware lock?

Re-read the thread, there were some solutions posted. Unfortunately a clear and delete seems to be be part of the solution.

Originally posted by squrl
    HMmm,

Somewhere along the line the original question got lost or maybe it is me thats lost.

What is it gonna take to get the paid for locals back on a dsr6000 with a p4 card

Am now at 2.5.1 with xplusz and a hardware lock?

Clear Guide & SP worked!

I was having no luck with midupdate.tcl until I did a clear guide and To Do.

Now I get my subbed locals with my P4 and 3.1.

If you haven't tried clearing yet, take a pic of your season passes and give it a try.

Good luck and thanks everyone for the help!

Token

I think there's some confusion creeping in on what you need to do to get your locals back with Xtreme 2.5.2 and a P4 card. Although I haven't had a chance to implement this, here's what I'm getting out of this thread along with some research I've done using the all-knowing search button:

Upgrade your current version of Xtreme to 2.5.2 using SuperZap's upgrade. This should not affect any of your current settings or recordings. You will have to activate all of the included hacks manually using xPlusZ. See the upgrade sticky thread for info on doing this.

If you have Kraven's upgrade installed over 2.5Xtreme you can install SZ's upgrade to 2.5.2 right over it. Don't forget to reboot to start up some of the xPlusZ hacks since they are initiated at bootup and don't necessarily start when you turn them on via the dial prefix.

Go to the Messages & setup screen and select the System Reset menu. In the System Reset menu, do a Clear Guide and To Do, NOT the Clear and Delete Everything. There is a major difference between the two options. A Clear Guide and To Do simply wipes out the current program guide and everything that's set up in your To Do list and allows it to rebuild from scratch. A Clear and Delete Everything wipes out all of your current settings, preferences and recordings and should only be done if you're getting an error #51 message.

While upgrading to 3.1 has not really been covered all that much in this thread, I am assuming that it is also a viable option. Running JJBliss' BlissTerPopper should allow you to use an Hu card with 3.1. Follow the same procedures outlined above for restarting all of the hacks manually via xPlusZ for 2.5.2.

If you have a static IP in 2.5 you will have to edit your rc.remote-login file as before to implement it. I believe there is an extra step involved for 3.1 and the instructions for setting it up are in the upgrade sticky thread.

The updated turbonet driver can simply be uploaded to the Tivo and replace the existing ax88796.o file in the /lib/modules directory for 2.5.2 followed by a reboot. 3.1 may require a different setup than 2.5.2 (sorry, I thought I had the info but apparently I forgot to save the link).

Setting up mfsstream in 2.5.2 requires that the path for the mfs_stream file needs to be corrected in the mfsstream.cfg file on line 8. Just change the path to reflect the correct location of the file. You may need to download the MfsStreamWeb98b.zip file to get TivoWeb and mfsstream working.

I think that about covers all of the hacks and updates that need to be set up when doing the upgrade to 2.5.2 or 3.1. There may be others but these are the ones I use so I thought I'd pass along the info. I expect to do my upgrades sometime this weekend as time permits.
    Last edited by captain_video; 04-10-2003 at 11:45 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

As a test I put 25xtreme on a blank 40GB drive and put it in one of my friends DSR6000's that was having the problems not getting their in-market paid for locals.

With 2.5xtreme I get no local channels in the program guide.

I used the serial cable to transfer the xupgrd310.tcl and v310.tar over to the machine and ran the 3.1 upgrade.

After the reboot and install of the 3.1 software, I could see the local channels in the program guide, but received "Channel not available" if I tried to switch to the channel.

Took the suggestions here and tried the "midupdate.tcl" but it didn't help.

Finally, I tried the "Clear Program Guide and ToDo List" and after reboot I can successfully get all the local channels.

I don't think the "midupdate.tcl" had anything to do with it since I'm not trying to do anything with out of market or not paid for local channels.

I'm now attempting to do the same thing after I put my friend's original drives back in the unit. It's been taking a long time to do the "Clear Proram Guide and ToDo List" but hopefully once it's done I will have the locals again.

Just have to make sure to print out a list of all my friend's Season Passes.

MY locals

Ok... the $64001 question is....

should I have to run midupdate.tcl to get my pittsburgh locals. And, should I REALLY have to update my market id manually.... or is that just because I was on 2.5.1 before and i'm now on 2.5.2?

One last question regarding mvchannels... when I run mvchannels dumpall to build the channels.dat file... what does that file do? If I then run mvchannels will it remove all channels in that dat file or will the channels in that dat file be the only ones left?

MANY THANKS TO ALL THE CONTRIBUTORS ON THIS THREAD!~

Locals are REALLY back

Re-extremed25
    upgrade to 2.52
    Cleared everything
    Still no locals
    called Dave and they reset my box. Locals=happy

argh......

Ok... here's my input.... I updated from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 (which lost all my recordings) and started playin with Xplusz with no luck....

I then did a clear all and still no luck. What is it that I am doing wrong. And please explain to me why

Ok... call me stupid.... literally... i mean call me stupid....

i have identified why I have had to many problems... i got to lookin at the fact that I started getting boston locals... and i think to myself... strange... my marketid is 25... and i get boston locals...

so i (being the rocket scientist that I am) decided to look that the configuration for boston and what do i see.... 25... in the market id... it appears that 25 is just the locals byte that directv uses for pittsburgh and not the market id.... i set it to 149, rebooted...and WHA BAMM!!! LOCAL CHANNELS ARE BACK!!!

bad things.... i have one more tivo on 2.5.1 and I "DON'T" want to lose the recordings if I don't have to... and not the season passes either.... do i have no choice in that matter???

thanks again for ALL the help!