Thread: Updating Prom and getting bash in 3.1

Updating Prom and getting bash in 3.1

I have read through these forums and some others trying to learn how to get version 2.5 working on my DSR6000 unit, but I havn't been able to do it so far.

First of all my unit is version 3.1 and I already tried to just use a 2.5 version software on a hard drive, but it wont get past powering up. So I am thinking that I need to downgrade my prom to a lower version to be able to boot in a lower version.

So I will need to find out how to get access to the unit from the serial cable with version 3.1 and find out which prom to put on it. I don't want to put the wrong prom on and screw my system up.

My only experience with updating proms/bios is with motherboards, and they tend to be the same size. But I have seen different proms from links that are different sizes. So I don't know if they are the right ones or not.

If anyone could help me with this that would be very much appreciated.

You don't need to worry about the prom. If you put on v25xtreme and everything goes ok the prom will be flashed automatically to the hacked version. After that you can upgrade to either v2.5.2 or v3.1.0 and keep the same prom version.

You don't need to worry about the prom. If you put on v25xtreme and everything goes ok the prom will be flashed automatically to the hacked version. After that you can upgrade to either v2.5.2 or v3.1.0 and keep the same prom version.

Well I did put an image of 2.5xtreme on the drive, but it never gets past the powering up screen? Does it take a long time to boot the first time you put in a 2.5xtreme drive in the system? Sorry if im not seeing something here. But if the software version I had was 3.1 then didn't it have a different prom version as well? And wouldn't that mean that a 2.5xtreme wont boot in the DVR?

Thanks for any help

-Kodiak

The prom isn't the problem. See this http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...threadid=23236

You could have a bad download of v25xtreme or a bad CD burn. Try again.

Are you using the original HD or at least one that is known to work in a tivo?

Well I'm sure you know what your talking about. Perhaps I'm doing something dumb and don't know it yet. I have downloaded the iso image for the 25xtreme iso from 3 different places. And I am getting an error after it is 99% restored, but I read somewhere that its a known bug and not a concern. I type the command to give you the full recording time mfsadd and it works successfully.

And it is a new drive, but I did a backup with my smaller drive and restored it onto the new drive and the 3.1 version works fine. Just can't get the xtreme version to load. Am I missing something?

-Kodiak

Are you following the xtreme instructions correctly?

Boot from CD and enter
    25xtreme

Answer question about where the drive is, hdb, hdc or hdd.

If your drive is greater than 30GB answer yes to running dtivomad.

Answer no to the question about > 140 GB and no to the question about a 2nd drive.

After you get a successful completion put HD in Dtivo.

Note: If you're not seeing the question about running dtivomad, run it by entering:
    /maddtb4/setupcd.sh

ok im not getting any question about running dtivomad. Here is what I get when I boot from the cd.

It boots up you press enter at the two promts.
    It asks me what location my drive is at I type hdc <enter>
    It starts the restore process and gets to 99% then an error occurs.
    So if im reading your instructions correctly then I must run /maddtb4/setupcd.sh because it never asked me? or is the 99% the reason its not working?

thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Ok I did the 25xtreme again and after it was done as in got to 99% and had an uncompressed error. At the prompt I typed in the command /maddtb4/setupcd.sh and answered the questions. Then it ran through and did a bunch of work. I will assume that was my mistake in not running that script. When I get home later I will try it out and see. Thanks for your help!

-Kodiak

Did this work for you? I'm in the exact same predicament.

I have a dsr6000 which was officially upgraded to 3.1-001-001.

I've burned off the 25extreme iso, installed it, watched it fail at 99%, spent a couple of hours downloading and burning other images before finding the post about that being a known issue, then tried booting the drive in the dsr6000 to no avail. It just sits at the "powering up" screen indefinitely, and I never get a prompt.

I'm installing on a brand new maxtor 40 gig drive, and the unit appears to currently have 2 15 gig quantum fireballs in it.

I'm assuming that I should, after installing the iso image and disconnecting from the PC, set the drive back to master before popping it in the dsr60000, but I've tried both settings and neither has worked.

I haven't seen much mention of people putting a single drive into a machine that came with 2, but I wouldn't imagine that to be the problem. If it is, please let me know.

It would be nice to be able to use the new drive with one of the older drives, but I'm not even trying that yet. I'm just going to store the original drives as emergency backups.

So, did this work for you? You don't seem to have posted since....

Well, in the end, this did indeed do the trick for me. Just figured I'd come back and mention it in case someone else stumbles onto this thread with the same issue.

It's booted up and working, with only the 1 drive in it for now. The setupcd.sh script asks you how many drives you'll be putting in the machine, and then it appears to correctly set your partitions so that the drive is bootable.