Thread: Xtreme25 a success...now new problem...

22 Xtreme25 a success...now new problem...

Just did my 1st hack today....went pretty good considering I am new to all this. Well, the reason I wanted to go to Xtreme25 is so I could use my P3 card. Now my P3 card works just fine but I can't use any of Tivos features without dialing in. Favorites, Tivo Mag, etc will not work without dialing in. Well as you probably guessed it my question is...Is there a way to stop the daily nag call without useing the serial cable? I have been reading and found ways to do it with the use a serial cable, but I don't have one @ this time and am in need of some recording (aka wife is on my as*) Can you do it via the computer are am I forced to get a cable?
    Any and all help is appreciated.....

TIA,
    Smokerman

You can set up the fixsub.tcl script using the "touch /etc/SubTest" copmmand but if you don't have a serial cable the only other option is to pull the drive and mount it in your PC. You'll have to use a Linux boot disc and then mount your partitions using Linux commands. Check the Newbies Guide to Hacking the Tivo on instructions for doing this. You'll find the link for it in the How Tos Only sticky on page 3 in the file downloads posts. My advice, either make a serial cable or buy one from 9th Tee. If you're serious about hacking a DTivo you're going to need some way to communicate with it and putting the drive in your PC each time can be a real PITA.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks for the quick post....

I have a qeustion for ya...Can I use xPlusz and just hook my "a" drive back to my pc and then :

copy files named setup and xPsz.tar.gz to floppy

boot linux MSF Toos Bootable CD, insert the floppy and enter:
    mkdir /df
    mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /df
    /df/setup

Or is there more to it? Have you messed with xPlusz very much? I think once I get that installed I read somewhere here that I can go to Change Dialing Options ==> Set Call Waiting Prefix.
    Follow the on-screen guide to enter #21,1. Then when it call it will go from 2-3 min to (Executing xPlusz) to (Succeeded) to (Done).

Is this right or am I WAY off.......
    Thanks again,
    Smokerman

I've only installed xPlusz as part of Superzap's upgrade to 2.5.2 and I did that from a boot CD, not a floppy. I hesitate to give you any advice on Linux commands because someone usually points out that I'm doing it wrong. I am by no means a Linux expert and it shows. Since you've got 2.5Xtreme installed then I'd recommend going with the 2.5.2 upgrade. You can burn the installation files to a CD and boot from it in your PC to do the install. It literally takes about 1 minute to transfer the files to the Tivo drive this way. Put the drive back in your DTivo and let it boot up and update itself. Check the readme file in the upgrade sticky thread for more details.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Looking at the setup script, it appears you need to run it ON the Tivo, since it looks for things like MFS_DEVICE variables, and assumes certain paths.

What you could do is boot off a Linux CD on the PC, mount the Tivo /var partition, and copy the files to the hack directory. But you'd still have to run the setup script from the bash prompt over serial or a telnet session.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

1st off, just wanna say thanks for all the help I have found here...

Well I finally did it! I got Xtreme25 installed and got the "nag" screen taken care of by use of a serial cable and the bash prompt....

Here is my new problem... Now Tivo is randomly selecting program to record. I checked everything and can't tell where its coming from. The "to-do" list is empty, I haven't scheduled anything to record, but yet every few hours a new show starts to record all on its own.....

Here is what I did after reading this from capt-video...
    After doing the 25 upgrade, and popping the drive back in the Tivo to let the proms flash and databases rebuild, etc. simply connect to the unit via serial.From the bash prompt type "touch /etc/SubTest"

sans quotes, and make sure you get the case correct -- that's a capital S and a capital T in SubTest.

-Kilroy

This was from an earlier post in the forum (I'm not Kilroy). This will setup the fixsub.tcl script and get rid of the nag message. After you've done this you can either try forcing a daily cal via the Phone Setup menu or run fixsub manually. From the bash prompt, type in:

cd /tvbin
    ./fixsub.tcl

If you check the System Information screen you should now see an indication that the last attempt at making a daily call was successful and you should also now have a Tivo status of 5 (lifetime subscription).

Everything works perfect except i can't figure out why Tivo is randomly recording programs on its own....
    Has anyone had this happen or know how I can get it to stop???

TIA,
    Smokerman
    Check out the post here. This is all I did after I installed Xtreme25. Check out post here
    Last edited by Smokerman; 04-28-2003 at 12:03 AM.