Thread: Problems with WD 120GB drive

Problems with WD 120GB drive

Has anyone had a problem getting one of the WD 120GB drives with the 8MB cache to work as a boot drive in their DirecTivo? I currently have a 80GB Maxtor + a 30GB Quantum in my system. I followed the how-to and made a small image. After many trys to restore that image to the WD, the Tivo never booted. I'm running 2.52 xtreme on the two drive setup and used the MFS 2.0 tools from CDROM. The backup and restore on the PC worked with no errors and reported all was fine. I also downloaded a stock image from the net and tried that too. No luck.
    I'd like to end up with the 80GB Maxtor and the 120GB WD in the system.
    Thanks for any help!

Make sure you have your jumpers set right when you put it back in your tivo.

Try restoring the small image to a single drive first, and see if that works in the Tivo. Then you can go back and run tivomaddb4 to expand the image to fill both drives.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

I'm very confident that I have the correct jumper settings.

and

I'm only trying the WD drive as a single for starters as per the Hinsdale how-to.

I'm thinking about using the Maxtor as the boot drive then expanding with the WD if it's just a boot issue, but I don't want to kill my current setup and lose my lifetime subscription. Just how much faith should I have in the mfstools backup? If it's pretty much a solid backup and I can recover, I'll try to boot the maxtor and add the WD. Opinions?

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything that would dissuade me from using a WD1200JB drive in a Tivo. I do know that the 8MB cach version of the WD 7200rpm drives won't work in a UTV whereas the 5400rpm WD1200AB and the 7200 rpm 2MB WD1200BB drives worked great. I realize I'm mixing apples and oranges here since a UTV is a different breed of PVR. I provided the info just to let you know that there are definite issues with using the 8MB cache drive in other PVRs so it may be safe to assume that there could be issues with it in a Tivo as well. I believe I have read other posts where the WD1200JB has been used successfully in a Tivo so it's anybody's guess. I've got three WD1200AB drives in two DTivos and they work great.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I did a few more forum searches and am going to try the Maxtor as the boot drive. I am also going to try the ATA cable instead of the IDE that came on the Tivo.

Wish me luck

Try using the wd as a single with all of the jumpers removed.

I have several DirecTiVos with (2) WD 120GB drives with the 8MB cache. I haven't had any problems. I believe that I have them set to cable select.

Old7

Got it working. I have the WD as the boot drive and the Maxtor as the second drive. Expanded to 228 hours according to the mfsadd results.

Thanks for all the help!

I was told to use the utilities from the WD drive and set the ATA to 33.
    Worked for me