Thread: Lots Of Info

Lots Of Info

I have spent the last few days compliling the information I will need to take my first step. However I recently came across a thread that I may have misunderstood. It led me to believe that the unit will execute commands such as:

mount -o remount,rw /

# replace rc.sysinit with modified copy
    rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
    cp /var/hack/rc.sysinit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

But however upon booting the unit will delete and replace rc.sysinit with a copy that passes checks.

This post goes on to say that the only way around this is via hardware modification (reprogramming chips). Is that correct or did I misunderstand what I read?

Thank you

Info Ho

Yes correct, the files are checked against a signature value and replaced if found different. If you have newer than 3.1u5, you have to swap the chip or revert to 3.1u5 (at present).

You have to replace and edit the eeprom before that basic check will be removed, then there are other steps such as replacing the initrd and kernel. Lots of info on that around.

I apologize .. I should have started this thread by stating I own a Hughes HDVR2 3.1u5

That said, am I to understand that I can continue without worrying about any hardware modifications (with the knowledge I must guard against future upgrades)?

If so then I shall begin ....

Info Ho

Originally posted by NooBLisa
    I apologize .. I should have started this thread by stating I own a Hughes HDVR2 3.1u5

That said, am I to understand that I can continue without worrying about any hardware modifications (with the knowledge I must guard against future upgrades)?

If so then I shall begin ....

Info Ho
    Sounds right.

Thanks guys .. great forum. I think I have everything I need to begin. Im sure I will run into problems but it seems I came to the right place to look and get answers.

Info Ho

Lisa ...

Boyfriend pays little attention to Lisa .. Boyfriend plays PSX, GC, PS2,XBOX. Lisa gets bored and learns to mod boyfriend's XBOX to have something in common. Now boyfriend pays no attention at all to Lisa. Lisa finds she likes manipulating electronics to thier fullest capabilities. Lisa dumps boyfriend, starts modding consoles for fun, buys a Tivo 2 and ends up here. Lisa has no more boyfriend and is now just an ..

In short ... sometimes pay attention to your girlfriend! ;x

Info Ho

If I had a girlfriend that was capable of modifying a Tivo 2, I'd pay her alot of attention! :-)

That being said, the mod for 3.1u5 is nice and easy (now thanks to the hard work of many others such as Mr. Blank).

Any problems, just fire away!

;x

Thats for the compliment Thorvald!

Check your PM for a ? that is no longer supported here.

::WINK::

Info Ho