Thread: analog video capture to iMac

extraction to iMac

I am confused on all this complicated extraction stuff. Can't I just use the Tivo Save to VCR function thru my Digital Camera in Pass Thru Mode onto my iMac and burn to DVD? I was under impression I could do this though I havent tried yet. Why or why won't this work??

iTiVo?

Yes, you can do that. The TiVo converts the digital data to analog and outputs it thru the RCA connectors where your camera is connected. The camera converts that analog signal back to digital data to send to your computer. Those two steps of D2A and A2D introduce noise that can be avoided by just copying the digital data directly from the TiVo to the computer. That's the main topic of this forum.

Re: iTiVo?

Originally posted by geowar
    Yes, you can do that. The TiVo converts the digital data to analog and outputs it thru the RCA connectors where your camera is connected. The camera converts that analog signal back to digital data to send to your computer. Those two steps of D2A and A2D introduce noise that can be avoided by just copying the digital data directly from the TiVo to the computer. That's the main topic of this forum.
    Ok...I successfully copied an hour long show from Tivo thru my Camera and on to my Imac and into iMovie. I edited out the commercials no problem but then encoding an hour long show into iDVD to burn my DVD took forever! Is this normal? I have only encoded small home movies for iDVD before and they did not take anywhere near this long.
    Also the quality of the picture was great, I was surprised that I didn't notice any drop in quality, heck if anything it's better since the Series2 and Digi Cable I use is usually poor quality anyway.

Re: Re: iTiVo?

Originally posted by OldSkool
    but then encoding an hour long show into iDVD to burn my DVD took forever! Is this normal?
    Depends on the orginal resolution and the stream denisity the encoder uses (These should be adjustable). I typically use my Dual 1 MHz G4. It usually takes me about 1/2 the "real" time.