Thread: Definitive noscramble for newbies

Question Definitive noscramble for newbies

I have read quite a few posts regarding noscramble and find that most of this is over my head. Can someone point me to instructions on how to enable noscramble ?

I have a DS6000 with a turbonet card and tystudio installed. Larger hard drive but no other hacks. It has a lot of scrambled content that I haven't dealt with yet, so I don't want to do a permanent noscramble on it, but I also have a new Sony T60 that I am adding a larger hard drive, turbonet card, etc. that will have no content that I would like to have permanent noscramble.

Can any one help ?

Thanks.

See this thread for a great solution that will auto switch the noscramble on and off so that you will be recording all new shows unscrambled but still allow you to watch your old scrambled shows.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ght=noscramble

Get the newscramble_20.zip at the top of page 3.

Here are the directions from that same thread:

----------
    Directions:
    - Unpack the zip, put noscramble_mbm.o in /lib/modules and the autoscramble.tcl with your other hacks (/var/hack/bin probably)
    - Disable any existing noscramble module or patch (rmmod noscramble.o ; cat /proc/modules to make sure)
    - Insert the module (insmod /lib/modules/noscramble_mbm.o)
    - Run autoscramble.tcl (tivosh /var/hack/bin/autoscramble.tcl &)

Try to play an unencrypted stream (if you have one) .. it should work fine.

Try to play an encrypted stream. 3.1 will ask if you want to delete it - say no. It should then give a "there was no signal" error - this is what triggers autoscramble.tcl to toggle the read decryption. Try again and it should play (and the above errors will then trigger on playing unencrypted streams.) Anything recorded with this module will be unencrypted.

*BUG* The only known bug is playing an in-progress recording with decryption enabled will likely cause a reboot. The workaround is to play any finished-recording unencrypted stream (to toggle decryption) and then the in-progress stream will play fine. Unfortunately, this is not something that we can catch and fix
    ----------

There's a post in the How Tos Only sticky thread in the main DirecTV Tivo Hacking forum about installing and activating noscramble. It also tells you how to toggle it on or off manually. When in doubt, always check the stickys or FAQ for info. That's why we put them there.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Falderal:

Thanks for the pointer! This works great!

But, I have a question:
    Okay, let's say that I'm watching an old, scrambled recording. I'm doing that while currently recording something else. What will happen to the program that I am recording? Will it be recorded scrambled or not scrambled?

Thanks!

Don't worry. All new show will be recorded unscrambled, even if you are watching an old scrambled show.

Are you sure about that? If you are running with noscramble deactivated, and recordings made while it is inactive will be scrambled as well. I'm not intimately familiar with the autoscramble utility but I don't believe you can have it both ways simultaneously. Noscramble is either on or off, period. I believe the autoscramble program just toggles it on and off automatically based on the show you're trying to view. If you attempt to watch a scrambled show with noscramble active, you'll get an error message indicating that no video was present. I believe if you back out of the menu and try it again, autoscramble toggles noscramble to the opposite state to allow viewing of the same program. I have not personally tried this utility and I have no firsthand experience on using it so I'd suggest you read up on it to be sure.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I believe it is only switching some sort of playback mode. Everything new that is recorded is unscrambled and the autoscramble lets you switch between being able to playback an old scrambled and a new unscrambled show. I've been using it for almost a month on my T60 and it works great.

Permanence

Does anything need to be done to make this load after a reboot? I cooked a startup file (and my Tivo's brain) trying to get noscramble to work earlier, do I need to try again?