Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TiVo is not accepting remote commands.

midnightmaraude Guest

TiVo is not accepting remote commands.

Since going to 3.1 version, I notice that almost once a day TiVo will no longer accept commands from the remote or even from the tivo itself. nothing responds.. it just keeps playing the show its currently on and in order for me to make it accept commands I need to do a power reset. Anyone have this similar problem and if so is there a way to correct this? The first time it happened I thought it was just a glitch but now that it has been reproduced I'm thinking something else.

Funny, maybe thats your Tivo getting back at YOU for US !!!!!

Whats that saying??????

Oh

What goes around bytes you in the ass

No i don't think thats it, but if fits however..

Originally posted by hwac
    Funny, maybe thats your Tivo getting back at YOU for US !!!!!

Whats that saying??????

Oh

What goes around bytes you in the ass

No i don't think thats it, but if fits however..

BWAHAHAHA AHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!

I wet myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna vomit

midnightmaraude Guest
    That's all good and funny, but it seems the story is different now that the 3.1 boot299 file is all packaged nice and is even automated. So by gones be by gones ... what am I experiencing exactly? The remote will work , then all of a sudden.. won't do anything.

Just as a side note, the boot299.btl that comes "packaged" and "automated" addresses the p4 .vs. HU issue, not a ZKT modification OR a tier check bypass.

Somewhat different.

But back to your original problem.....

midnightmaraude Guest
    JJBliss do you have any idea at all what is happening. It has to b e something software. I mean everytime i unplug it , it works fine, then randomly at some point in time locks up on me... however the tivo is still playing it just cannot be accessed via remote or the buttons on the front of the macchine. Is this something 3.1 prone or something that has occured on other OS.

Unless something went terribly wrong with the upgrade this is a hardware problem. There are no known software problems with these symptoms.

Open it up and check the white ribbon cable that connects the front panel to board. Try reseating it.

Also are you running tivoweb? Other hacks?

And try covering the IR receiver window and using the buttons on the front of the unit. This is to eliminate the possiblity of extraneous IR signal locking up the unit.
    Last edited by superzap; 05-19-2003 at 01:55 PM.

Have you tried fresh batteries in the remote?

It is most likely a power supply problem. The voltage needs to be regulated between 4.5 to 5.5 volts. I have one box that has a power supply that drifts at times. When it would dip below 4.4 even for a second the unit would freeze up. Sometimes frozen video w/ no sound and I have seen the non-responsiveness that you described as well. When I would hit the buttons on the remote the lights on the front of the box would brighten so I could tell the signal was getting to the box. The buttons on the box itself would act the same. I replaced my original harddrive with another and it seems to not lock up anymore - at least not so often. Try plugging your unit into a different power plug or there is a potentiometer on the power supply in your Tivo and you can adjust the voltage output yourself.

I've had the same problem but not with the same occurrence. I've had it happen a couples times but it's usually when the wife gets a hold of a remote. I'm not saying that women can't use a remote control but I'm guessing it's a sequence of key presses that cause this problem. Like most things each person has a different way of navigating the menu's it just happens that some people stumble across this sequence.

Again I'm only guessing.

midnightmaraude Guest
    Thank you all for your suggestions..
    I have yet to see it occur again since my last post.. So I'm hoping we had some minor glitches. I will keep your suggestions in mind however.

My TiVo occassionally refuses to accept remote control/Front Panel control commands. This never happens on my non-hacked SAT-T60 ( except HD upgrade), so I'm more inclined to believe it's a software/hack conflict. The only thing I have ever noticed that may have something to do is pressing the buttons too fast.

I just did a fresh HD install (7/9) to try and clear out all the cobwebs from too much TiVo tinkering, and it happen twice over the weekend. <sigh>

Any other ideas?

TIA
    Scott

SAT-T60 Ver 3.5

The problem that is being described is probably the well known "event bug" that became rather serious starting at 3.0. Hacks don't cause the problem, but may exacerbate it. There is no known solution.

Originally posted by Zirak
    The problem that is being described is probably the well known "event bug" that became rather serious starting at 3.0. Hacks don't cause the problem, but may exacerbate it. There is no known solution.
    while it's true that there is no known solution, this link to the "smart reboot" script may help with a weekly or bi-weekly reboot.

JJ

Originally posted by JJBliss
    while it's true that there is no known solution, this link to the "smart reboot" script may help with a weekly or bi-weekly reboot.

JJ
    I've been trying to keep things at a minimum, so I really don't want another script running.

Anyway, it seems like I manually reboot at least a couple of times during the week, so I'm not sure how much it would help. Thanks
    Scott

SAT-T60 Ver 3.5