Thread: Need some help on 2.5.2 upgrade?

Unhappy Need some help on 2.5.2 upgrade?

C. from bash on the DTiVo:
    1. backup your DTiVo hard drives
    2. use WinImage to extract 2 files,
    v252.tar and upgrd252.tcl in the upgrd252 directory.
    3. transfer files v252.tar and upgrd252.tcl to /var/hack.
    (Note: v252.tar is about 14MB and takes about 30 mins to rz send at 115200)
    4. enter:
    cd /var/hack
    ./upgrd252.tcl
    5. this will run for several minutes and reboot to v2.5.2
    My questions are as follows. I burned the xupgrade.zip iso to disk. Do I need to use winimage to extact those 2 files in #2?
    How do I transfer a file from the cd to the tivo through bash promt? (what commands would I use? I am linux stupid!!) How do I bump the speed up to 115200 in hyperterminal? I thought it had to be at 9600 to comunicate with the direct tivo unit? Last question is will this preserve my recordings? I know it says to backup but short of taking the drives out it is impossible for me to do that. I want to thank everyone in advance for their help!

Since you've already burned the files to CD you might as well pull your drives and do the upgrade in your PC. It's way faster than transferring the files over serial connection. Since you apparently already upgraded the drives with 2.5Xtreme then should be familiar with setting up your Tivo drives in a PC. If you didn't do the 2.5Xtreme upgrade first then stop what you're doing and read some more. Upgrading a current Xtreme installation will preserve your recordings. A fresh install of 2.5Xtreme will wipe your drive completely.

Forget about hyperterminal and download a copy of Tera Term Pro from the link in the How Tos Only sticky or the Tivostuff website. It's better than hyperterminal for communicating with your Tivo. Look through the pull-down menus and you'll soon see how to set the baud rate.

Doing a backup is an insurance policy so that you have a working configuration to restore to your drives should something go wrong with the upgrade. You need to do this with the drives in your PC. Read Hinsdale's How To for instructions on backing up, restoring and upgrading Tivo drives using MFS Tools 2.0.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

We don't have to make "upgrd252.tcl" executable?

That's a darn good question. The readme file for SZ's upgrade doesn't include a step for chmodding the upgrd252.tcl file but I suspect you need to do it. My guess is that if it's supposed to be executable and you try to run it you'll get an error message. If that's the case then I'd do a chmod +x on the file and try again. I upgraded both my DTivos using the boot CD so it was never an issue.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by groundhog
    We don't have to make "upgrd252.tcl" executable?
    Of course you do. It's a script like any other. In order to run it it must be flagged executable.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.