Thread: Dtivo Questions..

Dtivo Questions..

Ok, first let me start off by saying that I just found this forum and I love it. I currently have a Sony Stand-Alone Tivo and I have been reading a ton, and I might want to pick up a Dtivo (I have directv as well) But first I have a few questions.

My questions may be a little out of line, and if they are I am sorry, but I would like to get them answered if I can. I know quite a bit about directv and tivo, but very little about dtivo..

1) I have read a lot about Dtivo, and it appears as though you do not have to have a subscription with Tivo to get this it to work, using some of the ISO's that have been released? Yes or No?

2) If you are using a hu card that um.. lets just say never been plugged into a phoneline, can you record PPV and stuff? One time I hooked my DTV Receiver into my tivo, and the only data it had for PPV was PPV MOVIE.. I watch a lot of PPV movies/sports and this was horrible, because I never knew what was on that channel.. Has this been fixed with the DTivo models?

I guess most of my questions stem from: What can you do with a Dtivo that you can't with a Stand alone?

Thanks for your time..

You might want to read a number of the "sticky" posts and search the forum some, but in short the answers to your questions are:

1) - yes

2) - yes/yes

Your last comparison was SA/DTivo ... really two different machines. DTivos get guide data from the satelite, SA from the phone line, DTivos store image data received directly digitally while SA units have to do the A/D conversion. DTivo's are also 2-tuner capable with Dolby Digital optical output. That's just a few to start, if you are using DTV, you'll have better luck with a DTivo IMHO.

Great thanks for the reply..

What is the best/easiest model to start hacking on?

Is there any HDTV Tivos yet?

In my opinion, any of the series one units offered by Hughes/Sony/Philips are the most flexible at this point in time.

I believe HDTV Tivo's were announced at one of the recent larger electronics trade shows, not available yet that I know of.

ok.. thanks for the advice.. However I am heading out to ebay to pick one up.. Any certain model numbers?

Whats the diff between series1 & 2?

Sony T60

I have had great luck with the Sony T60...

Xtreme3.1
    2 120 gig drives
    TurboNet
    Even I donated because this place has saved me more time and money than I could even count...

Series 1's may be more "flexible" depending on what you really want to accomplish. You can find more Series 2 details in that specific forum on this site.

The Series 1 model #'s are:

Hughes - GXCEBOT
    Sony - T60
    Philips - DSR6000