Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: TyTool Alpha #7, VSplit Alpha beta #3.01, DVD output...

You would think that the 2 tuners in a DTiVo would make it twice as cool as a SA, but it really seems more like 3 times as cool
    I would say more like 5 times as cool. As Spinal Tap-esque as that is.

The difference between 2 tuners and 1 is that I no longer watch live TV anymore. Ever. When I had my 1 tuner SA Tivo, there is absolutely no way I could do that because it was constantly kicking various Season Pass Scheduled shows during overlaps and I had to scramble around to watch them live on other non-Tivo TVs.

I would honestly pay 3-4 times more for my next Tivo to get 2 tuners instead of 1. Its a huge part of the value of the product. It is extremely surprising that they don't sell a 2 tuner SA Tivo yet. The main reason I'll never move into a place that I can't get DirecTV is that I'd have to ditch my 2 tuner Tivo and there is no way I'm doing that.

jdiner:

Getting back to extractinon, I stil have that .ty file that will play on my Tivo but won't VOB-Mux. Do you want me to cut out the first 400 chunks or so (it really crashes at around #300) and send it to you?
    Last edited by rpongett; 07-01-2003 at 03:02 PM.

I would honestly pay 3-4 times more for my next Tivo to get 2 tuners instead of 1. Its a huge part of the value of the product.
    Shhhhhhh!
    I agree, but don't tell anyone.

Originally posted by psyzygy
    My Daewoo no longer plays any of the DVD's I've burned over the last 6mos. in perfect sync, though once it did.
    Woah. You are saying that you made disks. They used to play just fine and the exact same physical disk with no changes as used to play perfectly now plays with errors? Ok. That is wierd.

That means either the media is degrading/scratched/damaged/yellowing/etc... and a good read is no longer possible or the hardware itself is breaking down. A drive on the way out might be getting bad reads from one type of disk but not from another.

But since it will read other disks I tend to think that a failing drive might not be the problem.

But a disk once written is supposed to stay the same for what I think the half like of a modern DVD-R disk is supposed to be 20 years. Not 6 months.

But nothing I am doing, nothing your burning is doing, will produce a disk that is good one day and the mission impossible style plays once and then is bad from there on out.

Don't know that this information is much help to you but at least it might help you in where to look for the source of your problem.

--jdiner

Originally posted by jmhenry5150
    With the new Audio transcoding from MPEG II to Dolby Digital, how much does it slow the process down? Is it significant?
    There is a fair amount of work to be done with it. As for how much it forces a slow down... Well. Let me run a test here...

A SA Tivo clip that is 1000 chunks long, 128 TyStream file, was converted to Dolby-Audio during the vob-mux process in:

Code:
    DiffTime = 42.203000 (42203) == 0.703383 Minutes
    And the same clip staying with the same audio is:

Code:
    DiffTime = 5.453000 (5453) == 0.090883 Minutes
    Since a standard 1 hour SA show is 17,000 or so chunks in size the transcoding for that could be expected to be roughly 12 minutes in duration. Slower definately. But again you are decompressing, altering the data itself, and then recompressing. These things take time.

It is possible there will be speed ups for this in the not to distant future. I have a few things I want to talk to Rowan, the author of the transcoding stuff, about that might dramatically increase the speed for both LayerII and Dolby transcoding. But for now that is roughly what you can expect.

--jdiner

Originally posted by hancocks
    1) Were there significant code changes made on the keyfile generation which would cause the -r4 version to run much slower than the -r3 version? True every time I've tested both.
    Yeah. It was a mistake on my part. It does the transcoding for the audio even though that has no part in the key file generating code. That has been fixed in the coming release. It is now as fast as it ever was.

2) While not exhaustively tested, it does seem as if the -r4 version puts more "noise" in the audio. I'll research further and get back to you on this.
    That should happen only if you are transcoding. And even then while the audio is changing there shouldn't be great amounts of noise in it. I don't detect noise here on my end. Even when I burn to other mediums. If you or someone else can identify a section of a TY that degrades badly please cut it and get ready to send it to me. I will be happy to look over it and see what I can find out. Might be my code. Might be TyTranscode. Might be something else entirely.

3) ...and you already know about the abend after gen'ing the first keyfile in a batch job.
    This has also been fixed. It was a cascade failure based on how I was doing things.

--jdiner

Originally posted by Just4Fun
    I don't think I was transcoding the audio. I took the defaults, without modification.
    Unfortunately the defalt.ini had some testing values in it and was indeed transcoding if that was what you were using. It would be defaulting to transcoding option #5.

--jdiner

Originally posted by cullen_simpson
    I think he is refering to this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030625/law044_1.html

It is a product from Pioneer, not someone using jdiner's code
    in a modified TiVo.

It is a TiVo with a DVD drive built in it.
    Prices are $1,200 and $1,800 depending on the size of the disk.
    Why they think 40 more GB is worth $600 I do not know.

If it is seamless then it may be worth it to some people,
    but I imagine that most of us will stick with the power and
    flexibilty we get from tytool.
    Nope not worth it...

The reason I say that is that I have a friend that is using my stuff, plus some stuff I wrote for him that I have not released here, with a DVD Drive in his tivo and some currently massively cobbled together stuff for doing DVD burning from generic linux. He can make a DVD right from his current tivo.

It looks wierd though. The drive opens to the side of the case not the front etc...

He has to be very CPU careful. (Shutdown myworld when running it etc...). Currently no commercial cutting. It would really benefit from something like Burn-Proof.

But it can be done. Without needed much in the way of new hardware.

I like doing it the way I current am because of the levels of control. But it can be done now without that much pain.

--jdiner

I agree that your method is more flexible and powerful.

For totally non computer literate people though, the other method may be attractive.

I know what you are saying about the CPU.
    Pioneer claims that you can burn a DVD while recording or watching, but I really can not believe it. I go in the other room
    when my computer is burning a DVD to keep from being tempted to do anything with the box. I seriously doubt the processor in theirs can handle that load.

More flexible, more powerful, and a heck of a lot more fun. :-)

Alright the next release is finally ready. I think it fixes things a bit.
    I will be closing this thread and moving things to a new one when the release is made. Just a heads up as I get the release ready.

--jdiner

BTW:

I found the problem with having MUCH less DL speed from my SA when I went to tserver_mfs6. After disabling ZoneAlarm Pro, I now get 30% better DL speed than with tserver_mfs5. Before, tserver_mfs6 was about 20% OF THE speed of tserver_mfs5.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks,

rrm64

Randy
    rrm64

Alright the next release is finally ready. I think it fixes things a bit.
    I will be closing this thread and moving things to a new one when the release is made. Just a heads up as I get the release ready.
    Whoohoo!

Originally posted by rrm64
    BTW:

I found the problem with having MUCH less DL speed from my SA when I went to tserver_mfs6. After disabling ZoneAlarm Pro, I now get 30% better DL speed than with tserver_mfs5. Before, tserver_mfs6 was about 20% OF THE speed of tserver_mfs5.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks,

rrm64

Randy
    Also try diabling you AV protection, may make a difference.

Alright. We are closed. Please look for the new thread. Similar title and it will be found in the sticky section at the top.

--jdiner