Thread: HDVR2 Freezing

HDVR2 Freezing

OK I go the HDVR2. Upgraded the Hard drive. Did everything step by step according to the sticky thread that MRblack had posted. Now when I turn on my Tivo unit it stays at the "Almost there. A few more seconds please...." any ideas? Not sure what to do.
    Blankazn218

check hdd jumpers. make sure they are correct. change them around. are u using larger drive?? may be ata mode set wrong.

not enough info

Suggestion: take the & off the bash command line and start rc.sysinit by hand so you can see the output. You can see what it does at each step so hopefully you will get an error message or at least know where it locks up.

did u do this setion of the how -to?
    Boot Jonnydeath's version of MFStools2 CD

mkdir /mnt/dos
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/hackedbackup.bak /dev/hdx

Then REBOOT, CTRL-ALT-DEL, the reboot allows the system to recognize the new partitions on hdx.

Once this is complete then execute this part of the tivocommunity guide to HDVR2 Hacking:

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
    cd /cdrom
    mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo
    genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/
    dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdcXX bs=1024 count=1

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I installed a 120 GB drive on it. Jumpers are set as standard. Ata seems properly set.

Johnny Death's version I did the following

mkdir /mnt/dos
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/hackedbackup.bak /dev/hdc

Then REBOOT, CTRL-ALT-DEL, the reboot allows the system to recognize the new partitions on hdc.

Then I did this

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
    cd /cdrom
    mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo
    genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/
    dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdc16 bs=1024 count=1

CTRL-ALT-DEL, power-down and remove your tivo drive.
    Blankazn218

that looks right...did u do the rest?

alldeadhomiez: you wrote, "Take the & off the bash command line and start rc.sysinit by hand so you can see the output. You can see what it does at each step so hopefully you will get an error message or at least know where it locks up."

This is exactly what I wanted to do for other reasons but didn't know how to do it. I assume you have to run this from a bash prompt with your drive in the HDVR2. What command do you use to start the rc.sysinit by hand? Is it ./rc.sysinit? I'm not very experienced in command line interface work.

Originally posted by tinman
    alldeadhomiez: you wrote, "Take the & off the bash command line and start rc.sysinit by hand so you can see the output. You can see what it does at each step so hopefully you will get an error message or at least know where it locks up."

This is exactly what I wanted to do for other reasons but didn't know how to do it. I assume you have to run this from a bash prompt with your drive in the HDVR2. What command do you use to start the rc.sysinit by hand? Is it ./rc.sysinit? I'm not very experienced in command line interface work.
    cd /etc/rc.d
    ./rc.sysinit

should suffice. If rc.sysinit is not executable for whatever reason, do "sh rc.sysinit".

When you take the & off the bash command line, you should get a prompt on the serial port during "Welcome powering up" after the initrd, and it should be stuck at that screen until you manually boot the tivo software by invoking rc.sysinit.

Thanks. I may learn enough to be dangerous one of these days. By the way, I took MrB's advice I bought a copy of Red Hat Linux 8 for DUMMIES (like me). It has helped a little but I find a lot of stuff that's talked about here is pretty advanced.

I was running fine and while I was fiddling with my USB ethernet My HDVR2 Setup started hanging up at Almost there... I removed the & from the bash line and ran the rc.sysinit manually. It looks like it is finishing rc.sysinit and locking up after that. This is the printout.

rc.sysinit is complete
    bash-2.02# MCP startup complete
    Calling Run...
    Finished creating ApgDriverFrameIter
    Using a smartSorter!
    Creating ApgReader

So something to do with Creating the ApgReader or just after teh ApgReader (whatever that is) is holding my boot from happening.

Anyone seen this before or have a suggestion on what happened. Trying to avoid a restore.

Chaz

apgreader is going to work on reading Advanced Program Guide data, presumably from the sat inputs

Problem Solved:

It was a timing issue with loading the USB modules in alldeadhomiez USB thread. My insmod lines needed to be after the almost there screen came up. So simply putting the insmod lines at the end of my hackinit with a sleep line above them solved the problem.

Chaz

Thanks for the help fellas. Not sure what was wrong but I jsut started from scratch again and got working. Now off to the DSS forums to find out which tier has the lifetime sub =)
    Blankazn218

I obviously need to read up on my Linux for Dummies. I thought adh was referring to a line in the rc.sysinit file when he wrote:

take the & off the bash command line and start rc.sysinit by hand so you can see the output. You can see what it does at each step so hopefully you will get an error message or at least know where it locks up.

However, I have noticed that the rc.sysinit file doesn't have an & in it for a fairly long time. So where do I find the bash command line? I found a file called bash in the bin directory. Is it in there? That seems to be a big file as I'm trying to sz it over and open with ultraedit to see what it's about (if I can). Or is there some easy way to find the bash command line that I don't know about? I'm at the stage where the lights on my USB200M come on but I can't telnet in. I'm trying to see where my setup falls apart. Thanks in advance.