Thread: The Future of the Links Thread (I Need Opinions!!)

The Future of the Links Thread (I Need Opinions!!)

I've been trying to keep an updated file links thread in this forum.
    Consolidated Links Thread (aka. Where are the files?)
    But for some reason folks don't like it, can't see it, don't want to use it, whatever....

Am I doing something wrong?
    I'm keeping up with the latest releases and link to them as fast as I find them.
    Is it not in the correct format?
    Should I be doing something different?

In the new tytools thread, four or five folks have posted:
    "Why doesn’t someone put the links to the newest tools in one place where we can find them easily?" (I'm paraphrasing)
    ...when the whole time, the link to the new tytools have been in the sticky files thread since 30min after their initial release!!

Now snoopy has repackaged the tytool's release with a NowShowing.tcl file and has added it to the thread, duplicating a 650k download already in the thread for the addition of a 12.5kb file.

Posts like this, even though they are well intentioned, will cause confusion for folks when new updates are released and the original posters don't update their individual posts. We'll end up with multiple posts in the thread with multiple versions and multiple problems for the users.

I'm not saying that no one but me should post in that thread! Not at all! I'm dang sure not a mod. But when I miss something, POINT IT OUT!! TELL ME!! I'll stick it in the top posts as quick as I can.

I guess the first question is:

Am I going too far? Am I taking this too seriously? Should I just say screw it? We got along just fine without it before. Why worry, eh?

I've tried to figure out some way to contribute to this forum, as I can't code and I'm a far cry from being an expert. ...and I may be just shooting myself in the foot by worrying with it, but I want to try to do something.

What do you think guys?

and btw, while I have your attention...
    Is there a NowShowing file for a series2?

I think your links thread is very valuable, but I think you shouldn't allow posts. Extra posts with links defeats the purpose. Let people contact you by PM if they think something should be added. Otherwise you should delete the posts after taking whatever action (add to master links post if appropriate) you think is necessary.

I agree with newbie, but you are not a moderator so you can't close the thread and edit your posts, someone else need to do that, maybe the one that put your post as sticky can give you some kind of access?

Snoopy has good intentions but the NowShowing that he includes in the zip do not work with tytool7rX and Dtivo 2.5.2, it makes tytool7 to quit.

And for people asking and not reading, well we all now that is what people do. Maybe we need to add a Signature that say:

"To download files check this "

I feel your pain, Fugg. I think there needs to be a sticky at the top of each forum that says "Start Here". Inside, include links for all of the other stickys like your downloads sticky and the DTivo Hacking FAQ as well as the How Tos Only thread. It won't be a cure to dumb questions from newbies that don't want to do any legwork but I think it would minimize the number of threads the rest of us would have to keep pointing to when asked the same questions over and over again. I'm constantly amazed at the number of PM's I get asking for individual help when the info is in the forum.

You might want to amend your file downloads list to include sites like Tivostuff and several others that contain compilations of Tivo files for downloading. I applaud your efforts to keep on top of the file situation but why duplicate the same efforts supported by several others if you can simply reference their sites.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    ...You might want to amend your file downloads list to include sites like Tivostuff and several others that contain compilations of Tivo files for downloading. ...
    I'm trying to keep the file links thread "extraction specific", only pointing to files that have to do with getting mpegs/dvd's off a tivo.

But a seperate links thread pointing to general tivo info/download sites, with a small synopsis of each in the description?

That sounds like a damn good idea to me!

I've already got several posts in the How Tos Only sticky with that exact layout. The problem is, nobody bothers to read through it first before asking questions about what to do or where to get a file. I was thinking more on the line of a Newbie's sticky thread with a roadmap of the forums so at least a few of them could find the info on their own.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I for one greatly appreciate the links page. I know when I started it took me AGES and AGES to make sure I had the current version of the programs and that I was looking at the "newest" stuff. We will never overcome the DEU Interface issue that happens on fourms with some users (Defective End users) that fail to RTFM. Your link for programs is a start for those that are afraid to RTFM AND have a DEU problem

My Vote Keep it and I love it

Keep it going - an extremely useful thread.

Thanks for your efforts!

Re: The Future of the Links Thread (I Need Opinions!!)

Originally posted by Fugg
    the tytool's release with a NowShowing.tcl file and has added it to the thread, duplicating a 650k download already in the thread for the addition of a 12.5kb file.

Posts like this, even though they are well intentioned, will cause confusion for folks when new updates are released and the original posters don't update their individual posts. We'll end up with multiple posts in the thread with multiple versions and multiple problems for the users.
    I certainly beg to differ. The post I made was very well done. It now includes the correct NowShowing.tcl which will not cause a problem. If I need to change something or give someone else credit for what my post please advise me on that. Please understand that I did not intend to upset anyone, only to clarify what had not been clarified.

Re: Re: The Future of the Links Thread (I Need Opinions!!)

Originally posted by snoopy
    I certainly beg to differ. The post I made was very well done. It now includes the correct NowShowing.tcl which will not cause a problem. If I need to change something or give someone else credit for what my post please advise me on that. Please understand that I did not intend to upset anyone, only to clarify what had not been clarified.
    I think your intentions are good, I even downloaded your everything file because I upgraded my drive and lost my NowShowing.tcl file. I installed the NowShowing that is included in your zip file and everytime I want to access my Dtivo tytool7r2 quits. Then I downloaded the nowshowing-jdiner file and that works great. My Dtivo is at 2.5.2

I think Fugg's post do not have the information needed for someone that is new at this and haven't read enough, maybe thet's why you wanted to post a "everything" pack, but some information (without the file) was all that a new user needs.

Something like:
    If you want to extract from your tivo you need:
    In Tivo:
    - net card
    - noscramble module activated (if Dtivo) before recording anything
    - tserver_mfs6 (from this zip) and NowShowing.tcl (from this zip) in same directory
    In PC:
    - tytool7r2

I think there is no need to put another 650K file in the forum.

Originally posted by snoopy
    I certainly beg to differ. The post I made was very well done.
    I never intended to imply that you post was not done properly, but was simply a repackage of what was alread posted, which I am afraid is going to bring up the questions "Are they different?", "Which one should I use?"... from someone who was new to all of this. The whole idea of the post was to try to make it easier to find the files needed, to have them all in one place and to avoid as much confusion as possible.

also posted by snoopy If I need to change something... please advise me on that.
    That's exactly what I had asked of everyone when I started the thread to avoid multiple posts and to avoid exactly what is going on now.

also posted by snoopy
    Please understand that I did not intend to upset anyone, only to clarify what had not been clarified.
    Nor I. Again, which was why I asked for comments (in the thread itself origionally and again in this post) if anything I was posting was wrong or should be done differently.

To try to hedge off confusion and to keep the thread clear of multiple posts of the same tools and as it seems that my origional TyTools section is not correctly done and could possibly confuse folks due to it's lack of clarity, I'll remove it in favor of yours.

Judging by your post here, the addition to the sticky thread and the reaction of some who still posted in the tytool thread, "Jdiner, can you put your new files in one place where we can find them?" after I had added the current tytools to the sticky thread, I was clearly doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Fugg; 05-31-2003 at 12:57 PM.

Judging by your post here, the addition to the sticky thread and the reaction of some who still posted in the tytool thread, "Jdiner, can you put your new files in one place where we can find them?" after I had added the current tytools to the sticky thread, I was clearly doing something wrong.
    You made a noble attempt Fugg, but we're all just *****ic creatures of habit, and none of us got in the habit of checking your thread!
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.