Thread: Any way to force a green screen/disk check?

Any way to force a green screen/disk check?

Hello everyone,

About once a month or so my DSR6k gets stuck in a reboot loop for no real reason. I think one of the drives is heading south. The only thing that seems to fix it is for the GSOD to appear and let it run through it's repair. Unfortunately, it seems to be random as to when this screen appears. During the reboot loops, there's about 10 seconds where bash works, and I was wondering if there's anyway to manually start the green screen/disk check.

Any ideas?
    Gill

I highly doubt that the GSOD does anything to repair your drive. I believe all it does is try to rebuild the TiVo database. You would be better off pulling the drives out of the TiVo, and mounting them on your PC to run the hard drive manufacturer's own drive analysis software. I know that both Maxtor/Quantum and Seagate have these available. Then you'd have the problem actually fixed.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Thanks. The last time I had this problem, I actually did that. The maxtor/quantum utilities found nothing wrong with the drives. I re-insterted them in the tivo, and the GSOD came up, and after like 30 minutes, everything was fine. Maybe it's not the drives. Is it a possibility that a service download of some sort is causing issues?

Gill

Generally not. This is a mystery.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

CWCW is offline Thats Mr Cheez\/\/iz to u
    I guess you have eliminated heat as a problem?
    ---------------
    Cheez\/\/iz

Yes, at times, I've left it unplugged the whole day, and then when I'd plug it in it would still go into the loop.

Gill