Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TyStudio 0.5.0 'Official' thread

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    1) wouldn't make it past 1% if the stream was scrambled

2) hanging at 49% is a common problem trying to process s2 files (sorry, don't know anybody interested in chasing down the remaining s2 compatability issues)

3) please post tystudio questions in the tystudio thread (where this will be merged into shortly)

thanks, that answers a lot.

So should anyone with a Series 2 just not bother using TyStudio? I'm a willing guinea pig but I'll stick with TyTools if the author is unwilling to invest the time.

Segment faults in various tyStudio tools

I've been playing with various builds of TyStudios 0.5.0. All of the tools seem to segment fault when I try to work with any .ty file. The best results I have been binaries build from the latest CVS version as of (02/17/2004).

The .ty file I've been trying to use is from SA 2 software version 4.0.1b. The .ty files is a 1/2 hour program around 1.3 GB in size.

The most consistant seg fault has been with tyeditor. tyeditor seg faults while indexing the .ty file. It fails at the 50% mark always.

I've tried straces and look at the code, but I can't see where the problem lies. Any pointers, hints, would be appreciated.

Editor log file follows:

demuxrobe.c:94: Probing TyStream .....
    demux:misc.c:152:
    demux:misc.c:153: Tystream recorded on:
    demux:misc.c:156: SA Tivo Series 2
    demux:misc.c:171: Software rev 3.0 or higher
    demux:misc.c:176:
    demux:misc.c:177: Tystream recoding audio stats:
    demux:misc.c:179: MPEG Layer II audio
    demux:misc.c:183: Average tyrecord (audio) size: 588
    demux:misc.c:184: Audio frame size: 576
    demux:misc.c:185: Audio frame time: 2160 (ticks)
    demux:misc.c:186:
    demux:misc.c:187: Tystream recoding video stats:
    demux:misc.c:200: Frame rate: 29.97 frames/sec
    demux:misc.c:220:
    demuxrobe.c:178: Seeking TyStream start of MPEG Layer II audio
    demux:chunk_read.c:339: Read Chunk: chunk 0 - over flow in records - skipping
    demuxrobe.c:253: Found start of MPEG Layer II audio
    demuxrobe.c:257: Skipping to chunk 1 - reseting chunk numbering

demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4094 - over flow in records - skipping
    demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 4095 - over flow in records - skipping
    demux:index_edit.c:234: seq_preset_in_chunk: chunk 8191 - over flow in records - skipping
    demux:index_edit.c:264: seq_present_in_chunk: chunk 10431 - chunk is to small -
    skipping

------end of strace output ----------

ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0
    gettimeofday({1077173480, 944394}, NULL) = 0
    select(6, [3 4 5], [], [], {0, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    gettimeofday({1077173480, 944626}, NULL) = 0
    gettimeofday({1077173480, 944673}, NULL) = 0
    ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0
    gettimeofday({1077173480, 944770}, NULL) = 0
    select(6, [3 4 5], [], [], {0, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    gettimeofday({1077173480, 945003}, NULL) = 0
    --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
    +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

The most consistant seg fault has been with tyeditor. tyeditor seg faults while indexing the .ty file. It fails at the 50% mark always.
    I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by bugsfix
    I have the same problem
    Tystudio is unable to process series 2 video.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Yea its a problem with a change in the headers of the video. I have tinkered with it but can seem to generate any interest. Seems like all dev on tystudio has stopped. Sad though as tytool is much more limited in a lot of ways.

TyStudio Options for Making DVDs

Total Noobie - Ive been hacking on my trusty old SA TiVo for several days - upgraded the size of my A drive, resulting in two 80 gig drives' worth of capacity while retaining all the shows I have recorded. Got the TiVo connected through a NIC to my home network. I've gotten through all of the steps in preparing my Phillips HDR31203 StandAlone Series 1 TiVo, running ver 3 , to let me ftp in and run TiVoWeb as well.
    But I need some hep on the following, if anyone can jump in with words a noob can understand I would be very grateful ?

1. I can't figure out where TiVo stores the actual .TY files - is it possible to ftp them off using WsFTP Pro (which sees the TiVo files/subdirs just fine)
    OR, do I have to only use TyTools or TyStudio to access them? Where are the .ty files stored?

2. Using TyStudio works pretty well, though there are a few old shows on TiVo, from 1999, that it will not transfer for some reason. Perhaps recordings made before version 3 of the TiVo OS came out are not compatible? When I try to transfer them using TyStudio, the transfer progress dialog never changes from 0%. ??

3. I've been able to make mpg files of shows by setting TyStudio to "DVD" and audio of 4800, that play back on my laptop just fine - they do seem slightly less resolution, but not bad. Is that because the original recording was on medium quality instead of high quality in TiVo?

4. In reading the threads up here, including the 500+post sticky thread (good grief ) and in searching for a FAQ that deals with it (cannot find one), I can't figure out how to proceed with my .ty files in the BEST way to create a DVD disk that will play in a commercial DVD player for my TV, that gives me the ORIGINAL RESOLUTION OF THE TiVo recording? Is this possible, and how (in noobie plain english, please)?

Thanks
    TexARC

1. If you want to FTP tys off the Tivo, use mfs_ftp, see above.
    2. You'd need to read through the threads, but I'm pretty sure very old tys won't convert.
    3. None of the utils changes the resolution in any way.
    4. TyTool can take you right through to DVD in one app.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Hey, Tex, I'm about two steps ahead of you in experience! Had my TiVo for four years and after an initial capacity expansion, I hadn't touched it until last month. Now it's up to 306 hours with every hack imaginable.

I went through the same process trying to convert my old VHS home videos to DVD. Take a look at my post today, http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32471, and at the post referenced there.

The only topic not discussed in those threads is how to set up the TiVo to generate more DVD-compliant video. I've been having success with resolution set to 1 (740x480) at 5250 kbits. See the discussions on Resource Editor for more details on that.

Welcome to the crowd and good luck!

p.s. I can confirm that old pre-3.0 recordings don't make it. If you can stand the loss in quality, save them to VCR and then play them back into TiVo. There's a good trick for setting TiVo up to record from a VCR in Jeff Keegan's book, but I haven't seen it posted so I'm reluctant to post it here.

I appreciate your reply - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    1. If you want to FTP tys off the Tivo, use mfs_ftp, see above.
    2. You'd need to read through the threads, but I'm pretty sure very old tys won't convert.
    3. None of the utils changes the resolution in any way.
    4. TyTool can take you right through to DVD in one app.
    on the use mfs_ftp, see above... above ? ?

I have installed the TyStudio already - is TyTool compatible? (the 300+ and 500+ message sticky threads are frankly a mess from a noob perspective - Is there an FAQ on TyTools?

I did download the file TyTool8r3.zip, and trying to read the freaking doc file is difficult - it is FULL of technospeek terms that are not defined. Man! "split, m2v m2a, a/v offset, mux , .vob & .vob output, dvdauthor code, cygwin.dll, .ifo, .bup, PES packets DVD NAV Packets, custom requestor,
    aieee... <G> It does appear to have a good set of step-by-step, as long as everything works exactly as expected I can probably muddle through.

It appears that you can't use TyTool all the way through to DVD unless you also get something called DVDAuthor?

Any chance there is a URL for a FAQ or educational page that would help me get up to speed?
    Last edited by TexARC; 02-22-2004 at 11:30 AM.

Regarding your old streams, tystudio uses a program called tydemux. This is cut from the readme
    Code:
    tydemux -s [1/2] [options] -i tystream.ty -v output_video.mpg -a output_audio.ac3

* Basic extraction:

tydemux -s 2 -i tystream.ty -v output_video.mpg -a output_audio.ac3

In this mode, you will demux a Tivo version 2.x or higher tystream
      and get a nice progress meter and also some basic information about
      the TyStream. Only real errors will be reported.

-s 2
    	-s 1 no longer supported, use tydemux 0.4.2 if you want to demux
    	Tivo version 1.3 streams.
    I don't know where you can find version 0.4.2, but I'm sure you look around or ask, you could find it.

As for making DVD compliant video, I always just use the generic mpeg option. I have found that this results in a mpg that works with standard DVD creating software.

Quote Originally Posted by TexARC
    I appreciate your reply - thanks.
    on the use mfs_ftp, see above... above ? ?
    Look at the list of threads in the forum, towards the top there's a sticky entitled mfs_ftp.

I have installed the TyStudio already - is TyTool compatible?
    They are two entirely separate peices of software which do roughly the same thing.

I did download the file TyTool8r3.zip, and trying to read the freaking doc file is difficult - it is FULL of technospeek terms that are not defined. Man! "split, m2v m2a, a/v offset, mux , .vob & .vob output, dvdauthor code, cygwin.dll, .ifo, .bup, PES packets DVD NAV Packets, custom requestor,
    aieee... <G> It does appear to have a good set of step-by-step, as long as everything works exactly as expected I can probably muddle through.

It appears that you can't use TyTool all the way through to DVD unless you also get something called DVDAuthor?

Any chance there is a URL for a FAQ or educational page that would help me get up to speed?
    As you say, there are step by steps - try one and see how you get on. Don't expect to ba able to undserstand everything from just reading about it. Get your hands dirty! As for the technospeke - well, it's technical stuff hacking MPEG files - you want simple, attach one of those USB video grabbers to your PC.

Oh, and TyTools has moved on severl versions since 8r3, and DVDAuthor is included in the package.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Converting old .ty streams to .mpg -- Can Be Done!

It took a little digging and self-education, but I finally figured out how to translate old pre-3.0 .ty streams (version 1.3 and 2.0, I think) to a generic .mpg file, ready for further editing with software such as mpeg2vcr, Video Wizard 2003 or some other MPEG editor.

First, get TyDemux 0.3.0 from http://dealdatabase.com/forum/attach...achmentid=1137. That's correct. The instructions to use 0.4.2 on old files were apparently in error. The older version works where 0.4.2 does not.

It's basically a three step process. First, run tydemux 0.3.0 to separate the ty stream into video and audio components. Use a command line such as:
    tydemux -i {filename.ty} -v {filename_video.mpg} -a {filename_audio.ac3}

Next, the audio needs to be resampled from TiVo's recording rate to DVD settings:
    tytranscode -m -s 48000 -i {filename_audio.ac3} -o {filename_audio2.ac3}

Finally, the audio and video need to be multiplexed back together:
    tymplex -f 3 -V -o {filename_final.mpg} {filename_video.mpg} {filename_audio2.ac3}

And there you have it. The sync isn't perfect and there's probably a way to correct that, but I'm not such a perfectionist (nor are the clips that important) to spend hours trying to fix it. There's a green bar and a black bar on the left that people have commented upon but, again, I can't be bothered by that.

Readme notes included in the TyStudio distribution should provide further information about options, switches, etc. Interestingly, I couldn't find one for tymplex, but running it without any arguments provided sufficient information.

My thanks to rung for giving me a clue as to how to solve this problem. This has actually been a good learning experience for me regarding the mechanics of file conversions and helps me to appreciate all the work so many people have put into this and how recent efforts have made this task so much easier.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

Ok I think I have the tyserver and tyindex running under 4.0 on a S2. Try this at your own risk. Shouldn't need any changes to the client. As which the ppc just upload it and run it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Audio sync issues with TyStudio when editing

If I extract programs without any sort of editing, audio sync is fine. If I try to take out commercials and such before extracting, the audio gets out of sync. I'm extracting using Elemental Streams, No Transcoding. Anybody else having this same issue or have a solution?