Thread: Problem With HDVR2 setup

Problem With HDVR2 setup

I am new to Tivo and this site so go easy on me.

I have followed the steps by Ingineer exactly, but when i get to step 14 is where the trouble starts.

It should spit out "root=/dev/hda7" which confirms the TiVo’s active root partition is 7, so that makes the VAR mount point at 9. Lets now mount the var partition by typing:
    mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo
    I got the root=/dev/hda7, but when i try to do the "mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo " all i get is
    "looks like swap space-not mounted. You must specify file type"

I tried two different computers and have read everything i could find, but i can't get past this issue.

Thanks
    superg

I'm betting that you have your PC setup so that your Tivo Drive is not setup as hdc

Check which letter your Tivo drive is assigned during bootup (using SHIFT-PageUp) and change your mount to that drive

So it should read:

mount /dev/hdX9 /mnt/tivo

the X is the letter of the drive assigned to your Tivo drive.

Chaz

That was the first thing i looked at.

This is my setup.

Fat32 drive= hda <-----Primary Master
    cd_rom = hdb <-----Primary Slave
    Tivo drive = hdc <-----Secondary Master

Got any other ideas? I'm up for trying anything at this point. LOL

What Boot CD are you using?

Did you restore properly as in step 12?
    mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/c/tivo-s2.bak /dev/hdc

Using the Johnnydeath boot cd. Did step 12 correctly, but my image is the 3.1.0-01-2-151. I downloaded the 3.1U5 image that mrBlack51 gave a link to. I tried the "mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo " on the 3.1U5 and on my 3.1.0-01-2-151, but get the same results.

Have you tried it with a different hard drive?
    I know you tried two different comps so it's not likely to be something wacky like a bad IDE cable, etc.

Question Where?

Superg,

Where can I get this step by step that you are using? I just ordered a Philips DSR7000 and I have no idea how to hack this unit, but I want to try. I did a search for Ingineer, but found nothing like what you are talking about. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yammer

yammer: check the sticky threads, as well as below
    |
    \ /
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Got it figured out. Was trying to use a 60gig western digital hd. For whatever reason it wouldn't work. Didn't see anything about western digital not being compatible.

Anyway i went and got a 120g maxtor and the setup went fine. Was able to mount the partition no problem. I got bash. Now i just gotta read up on what to do with it. LOL

Thanks for your suggestions mckitrick and chazman.

In order to get the WD drives to work, you must go to thier site, and download the diag utility. It will create a boot floppy.

From there, you need to change the ATA setting. TIVO does not like ATA133, 100, 66. Set it ATA33.

Leave pc off for 2 minutes after doing this. Then put on image, and u will be good to go.

Originally posted by superg
    Got it figured out. Was trying to use a 60gig western digital hd. For whatever reason it wouldn't work. Didn't see anything about western digital not being compatible.

Anyway i went and got a 120g maxtor and the setup went fine. Was able to mount the partition no problem. I got bash. Now i just gotta read up on what to do with it. LOL

Thanks for your suggestions mckitrick and chazman.
    What happened when you formatted hdc9 after restoring? (mke2fs /dev/hdc9)

The Tivo creates /var on the fly if it is invalid, so mfsrestore might be relying on this behavior in order to avoid initializing it.

FWIW: I have never had trouble with a WD drive in a Tivo (currently using four of them), but regardless, your drive brand should not cause problems trying to mount a filesystem on the PC when you have gotten that far into the process. ATA133 mode isn't going to put a swap signature on random partitions unless you're really unlucky.

i agree.............

Just saw this issue a few times and adjusting the ATA mode did the trick!

I never tried formatting hdc9. Should i have done that?
    The WD hd has become my PC's main drive now, so i guess it is no big deal. I did try a couple times to put the WD in the Tivo and it would just hang at the "Powering Up" screen. Never would get to the "Almost There" stage.

Since i am posting, Do any of you guys have a good How_To for using HyperTerminal? I.E> what commands to use for transfering files and placing scripts in the hackinit file and so on. I am lost at this stage and have been searching endlessly to no avail.